The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool During a new pitcher's warmup pitches....

...what do you do?

As many of you already know, I am quite new to umpiring. I worked my first two games of this season on Monday and Tuesday of this week (HS Soph & Frosh, respectively).

Prior to the Monday game, I was as nervous as a Muslim virgin in heaven who has just heard there was another suicide bombing.

I would prefer not to "tip-off" anyone at the game about my relative lack of experience.

What I have done in the handful of games I have worked is:

After the plate conference, as the home team takes the field, I stand on the baseline about a third or half way up the baseline from home. After the starting pitcher has thrown two warm-up pitches, I put on my helmet and get behind the plate, and say somethng innocuous to the catcher as I do ("how you doing today catch?").

I then take two pitches from the RHB "slot", followed by two pitches from the LHB "slot". I then remove my mask and return to the baseline for the pitcher's two remaining warm-up tosses.

I repeat this process as we enter the bottom half of the 1st inning for the Visiting pitcher. Thereafter, I do the same thing each time a new pitcher enters the game (absent the "introduction" to the catcher).

I do this to:

Introduce myself to the catcher & get used to his set up

Get used to picking up the ball from the pitcher's delivery and the idiosyncracies of the "flight path" of his pitches

Get used to the timing of setting for the pitch in rhythm with the pitcher's delivery

Allow the pitcher and catcher to get used to my presence behind the plate.

This particular thing has never really been addressed in any of the training I've had or anything I've read.

So, my question is:

Is this a good thing to do, or something that marks me as a complete "newb" who has never done this sort of thing before? Or, a matter of personal preference or "style"? Or, something else?

How many of you do this, or something similar? How many of you wouldn't be caught dead doing it?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

JM
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
I'll usually watch 3 or 4 pitches from ONE spot. I'll then tell move up 1st baseline and watch his motion for the remainder of his warmup.

I wouldn't immediately think nub if I saw you do all of that. If you do the same routine EVERY time then it just looks like what it is, preparation.

Yeah it's important to look good and all but don't let THAT overwhelm you. Try to be comfortable in yourself. Most Managers have too much crap to do and think about to concern themselves with your lack of experience woes.

What will twig them to your skill level is a visual lack of consistency. Like using the hammer for called strikes all day but missing a few. Looking like a lost tourist between innings or looking at your counter too frequently. If you visualize the count (hold up fingers) do it the same way every time.

WHATever and HOWever you do it....do it the same way EVERY time.

Except for blowing calls!

Last edited by Rcichon; Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 08:37pm.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

i do the same thing in the first inning, but not for new pitchers that come in. ill take 2-3 from RH perspective, 2-3 from LH, then come out and head up the line a bit.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

sounds good

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
...what do you do?

As many of you already know, I am quite new to umpiring. I worked my first two games of this season on Monday and Tuesday of this week (HS Soph & Frosh, respectively).

Prior to the Monday game, I was as nervous as a Muslim virgin in heaven who has just heard there was another suicide bombing.

I would prefer not to "tip-off" anyone at the game about my relative lack of experience.

After the plate conference, as the home team takes the field, I stand on the baseline about a third or half way up the baseline from home. After the starting pitcher has thrown two warm-up pitches, I put on my helmet and get behind the plate, and say somethng innocuous to the catcher as I do ("how you doing today catch?").

I then take two pitches from the RHB "slot", followed by two pitches from the LHB "slot". I then remove my mask and return to the baseline for the pitcher's two remaining warm-up tosses.

I repeat this process as we enter the bottom half of the 1st inning for the Visiting pitcher. Thereafter, I do the same thing each time a new pitcher enters the game (absent the "introduction" to the catcher).

I do this to:

Get used to picking up the ball from the pitcher's delivery and the idiosyncracies of the "flight path" of his pitches

Get used to the timing of setting for the pitch in rhythm with the pitcher's delivery

This particular thing has never really been addressed in any of the training I've had or anything I've read.

So, my question is:

Is this a good thing to do, or something that marks me as a complete "newb" who has never done this sort of thing before? Or, a matter of personal preference or "style"? Or, something else?

How many of you do this, or something similar? How many of you wouldn't be caught dead doing it?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

JM
That's just about the way I do it before the game. I always remember to tell the F2 to take it down on 5 the rest of the game.

When a new pitcher enters, I don't do anything then except watch him from the baseline.

Thanks
David
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Before the game starts I watch warmup pitches 1-4 from the 3b line, then watch 5-7 from behind the catcher, all in the slot for a RH batter and then tell the catcher to throw it down and get out from behind with my brush ready to dust off the plate. I don't do this again the bottom half, and I don't know anybody who gets behind a mid-inning substitute pitcher to watch him throw.

I wouldn't think anything of you getting behind the catcher for any number of pitches prior to the start of the game, But I would give it a thought if you did the same in the bottom half of the 1st and if you did it for a substitute pitcher in a middle inning you would be doing something I never see (hint). What I normally see is the PU with a notepad out writing down changes while the substitute pitcher warms up. Get a couple of extra balls if you need them while he is warming up.

Last edited by DG; Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 09:54pm.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I think the thing that would first tip anyone off about a rookie blue is timing. Many new umps time to time every call to coincide with the play and this will eventually lead to trouble. Have someone video tape one of your games. It doesn't have to be the entire game, just a couple of innings will do. Make sure to keep the tape running between innings too. You'd be surprised at what you see.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...what do you do?

After the plate conference, as the home team takes the field, I stand on the baseline about a third or half way up the baseline from home. After the starting pitcher has thrown two warm-up pitches, I put on my helmet...
There's your first problem.

Quote:
I then remove my mask...
That's much better.

Seriously, I stopped getting behind the catcher on warm-up pitches about 8 years ago.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Garth,

Setting aside the mask vs. helmet question for the moment, why did you stop?

An umpire I respect has suggested to me that it takes "hundreds" of games behind the plate to establish a good strike zone. My limited experience has led me to believe that there is some wisdom behind that assertion.

I find that doing as I do helps me get focused, helps me establish a rhythm, and helps me get better positioned.

So, why did you stop? Am I doing something I really ought not?

JM
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Honestly, i feel it serves no purpose to watch the pitcher's warm up throws since they are not at 100% effort and they are pretty much all fastballs.

However, i'll probably start to watch the warm up pitchers this year for the ONLY reason: to talk to the catcher. It was suggested at a clinic that we do this. Get to know the catcher's name and tell him how you want things run.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Garth,

Setting aside the mask vs. helmet question for the moment, why did you stop?

An umpire I respect has suggested to me that it takes "hundreds" of games behind the plate to establish a good strike zone. My limited experience has led me to believe that there is some wisdom behind that assertion.

I find that doing as I do helps me get focused, helps me establish a rhythm, and helps me get better positioned.

So, why did you stop? Am I doing something I really ought not?

JM
Dave Yeast, at an NCAA clinic once said, in his opinion, that it takes 5 years at each level...HS, College, Pro....to establish a solid, appropriate and consistent strike zone.

As far as getting behind the catcher, if you really feel a benefit, go for it. I don't. A few pitches not thrown in the competitive context do not prepare me for anything. And I try to eliminate doing things that have no benefit.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
Honestly, i feel it serves no purpose to watch the pitcher's warm up throws since they are not at 100% effort and they are pretty much all fastballs.

However, i'll probably start to watch the warm up pitchers this year for the ONLY reason: to talk to the catcher. It was suggested at a clinic that we do this. Get to know the catcher's name and tell him how you want things run.
I generally agree with this comment. I get the catcher's name, ask if I need to know anything about the pitcher, make some inoccuous comment about the weather, try to make some observation about the pitch ("does his fast ball always trail in like that?"), tell him that F1 can take as many pitches as he needs the first inning, but five every inning after that, and walk away.

The first and the last parts are what's important. Since it's been covered, I don't watch relief pitchers.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Before the start of the game, with the home team's pitcher warming up, I watch the first three pitches as if a RHB was batting, the next three as if a LHB was batting, watch the last two about 15 feet up the first base line, and then hop in and brush off the plate and go.

98% of the time I never watch any more warm-up pitches from behind the catcher. My theory is that once I am in a "groove" watching "real" pitches, I don't want to upset it by watching warm-up pitches that might not be the pitcher's best stuff.

The only time I violate that personal rule, is when the top of the first inning is very, very quick (like a 4 or 5 pitch inning, with 3 pitches being put in play), such that I haven't established a "groove", yet.

I never watch any reliever's warm-ups from anywhere other than up one of the baselines.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

I do a stands-check for GLMs.

It was an excellent selection last night....I had no idea there were so many in that little town.....
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I generally agree with this comment. I get the catcher's name, ask if I need to know anything about the pitcher, make some inoccuous comment about the weather, try to make some observation about the pitch ("does his fast ball always trail in like that?"), tell him that F1 can take as many pitches as he needs the first inning, but five every inning after that, and walk away.

The first and the last parts are what's important. Since it's been covered, I don't watch relief pitchers.
I, too, chat with the catcher and establish a rapport. If it's someone I know and who knows me very well already, then doing this isn't that important, as long as talking with the catcher doesn't lead to dinner and a date.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Stop worrying -- It is unlikely that the fans, players or coaches are going to be watching where you are standing during the warm-up pitches. Where you watch the warm-up pitches is a person choice thing.

Quote:

I do this to:

I watch a couple of warm up pitches from behind the F2. I do not need the practice time behind the F2 to prepare me to call pitches, many years of working games has already prepared me for that. But it gives me a chance to introduce myself to the F2.

When it comes to the F2 I always introduce myself. I'll call him by his first name throughout the game. I want to be his friend, we are about to spend a lot of time working together and he is my first line of protection. I'll ask him about the starting F1, what he likes to throw and etc. but no long drawn out conversation.

Quote:

You should already be able to do this before you get behind the plate.

Quote:
Get used to the timing of setting for the pitch in rhythm with the pitcher's deliveryJM
The F1 will vary what he does from time to time or the offense will be able to figure him out.

Quote:
You had better hope that both F1 & F2 have gotten used to the presence of an umpire behind the plate before the first pitch is thrown. If not, you're going to have a difficult day.

Last edited by Justme; Fri Mar 30, 2007 at 09:39am.