View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
I would prefer not to "tip-off" anyone at the game about my relative lack of experience.
Stop worrying -- It is unlikely that the fans, players or coaches are going to be watching where you are standing during the warm-up pitches. Where you watch the warm-up pitches is a person choice thing.

Quote:

I do this to:

Introduce myself to the catcher & get used to his set up
I watch a couple of warm up pitches from behind the F2. I do not need the practice time behind the F2 to prepare me to call pitches, many years of working games has already prepared me for that. But it gives me a chance to introduce myself to the F2.

When it comes to the F2 I always introduce myself. I'll call him by his first name throughout the game. I want to be his friend, we are about to spend a lot of time working together and he is my first line of protection. I'll ask him about the starting F1, what he likes to throw and etc. but no long drawn out conversation.

Quote:

Get used to picking up the ball from the pitcher's delivery and the idiosyncracies of the "flight path" of his pitches
You should already be able to do this before you get behind the plate.

Quote:
Get used to the timing of setting for the pitch in rhythm with the pitcher's deliveryJM
The F1 will vary what he does from time to time or the offense will be able to figure him out.

Quote:
Allow the pitcher and catcher to get used to my presence behind the plate.
You had better hope that both F1 & F2 have gotten used to the presence of an umpire behind the plate before the first pitch is thrown. If not, you're going to have a difficult day.

Last edited by Justme; Fri Mar 30, 2007 at 09:39am.