The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
Since this was a JV scrimmage I did not want to change his call as I was on the plate but I believe he should have gotten 3rd since he beat the throw.

It doesnt matter if it was a scrimmage or not, its not your place to change his call....
As this is a rules application issue, not a judgement call, I think you have a duty to get together with your partner and straighten it out. Correctly applying the rules is a duty of both umpires and is not "overruling" your partners call.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 08:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
He probably meant that, but when an infielder throws to retire a runner, the throw is the first play.
Unless he makes a legitimate tag attempt on another runner.

I know I'm being pedantic. It's early and I haven't had any coffee.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Except that no one ever mentioned a tag attempt. Now we're just making things more complicated for the lad.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire
As this is a rules application issue, not a judgement call, I think you have a duty to get together with your partner and straighten it out.
However, in this case, it's just as well that he didn't, or the result could have been changing a correct ruling to an incorrect ruling.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Rich,

You are rarely inaccurate, so this surprised me. You meant to say "first PLAY" rather than first throw, right?

--Rich
Interesting observation.

In OBR the rule refers to first play, but this question was about a JV game (FED).

8-3-5 refers to the first play but the awards table (Two bases item 5) it says "first throw by an infielder . . ." so I just picked "throw".
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
Since this was a JV scrimmage I did not want to change his call as I was on the plate but I believe he should have gotten 3rd since he beat the throw.

It doesnt matter if it was a scrimmage or not, its not your place to change his call....
NO!

We should never jump in on partner's judgement calls, as has been noted here numerous times.

But if partner is misapplying a rule (he wasn't here, but imagine if OP was the BU and a guy who knew the rule was PU), you MUST correct the situation. A base award like this sitch IS a rule, and if BU had given the runner 3rd, it should be corrected (the best way would be for PU to get BU together and have BU actually do the correction).
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 09:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
Interesting observation.

In OBR the rule refers to first play, but this question was about a JV game (FED).

8-3-5 refers to the first play but the awards table (Two bases item 5) it says "first throw by an infielder . . ." so I just picked "throw".
FED inconsistent? Big surprise there.

I wasn't trying to complicate the original play, either, UMP25. I just wanted to point out that once F6 lunges forward to try to tag R2 running by the award basis changes (although the actual award may very well be the same).
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
Except that no one ever mentioned a tag attempt.

I do note, however, that no one has yet addressed the clear interference by the runner advancing from 2B.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
I do note, however, that no one has yet addressed the clear interference by the runner advancing from 2B.
Good point. And we've completely neglected the ball coming in from the other field, and the bucket knocked over rolling between third and home. And ... of course ... what type of shinguard PU was wearing, and how he felt about that shinguard.;
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 10:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Good point. And we've completely neglected the ball coming in from the other field, and the bucket knocked over rolling between third and home. And ... of course ... what type of shinguard PU was wearing, and how he felt about that shinguard.;
I'm more interested in knowing how the shinguard felt.

Well, this is fun, but I gots a game this afternoon and a 2 hour drive to get there.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 06:10pm
BigGuy

Let's stretch it a bit - R1 on 1B takes off with pitch, B hits between F5 and F6 at back edge of infield, R1 has reached 2B and BR has reached 1B before F6 begins throw to F3 who throws OB. I give R1 home and B/R 3B - 2 bases from TOT.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Let's stretch it a bit - R1 on 1B takes off with pitch, B hits between F5 and F6 at back edge of infield, R1 has reached 2B and BR has reached 1B before F6 begins throw to F3 who throws OB. I give R1 home and B/R 3B - 2 bases from TOT.

In that extraordinarily unlikely situation, yes.

However, if R1 had reached 2B but the BR had not reached 1B, then R1 gets 3B and BR gets 2B.