The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Question Anyone know who's now publishing Official Baseball Rules?

For years The Sporting News has published Official Baseball Rules, and we were fortunate to obtain the rule books at an association rate of 50% off the retail price, which was a big help when many are ordered at once. However, my contact at The Sporting News recently told me they are no longer publishing the book. When I asked him who was, he told me he had no idea and that no one there knew anything.

I've searched around but so far have had no luck. Does anyone know who is the official publisher now? With all the changes in OBR this year, it'd be nice for those of our guys who want this in the typical handy book format to be able to get it.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Ump25,

As far as I know, the only one publishing them this year is the National Baseball Congress. You can find ordering info at the link below.

http://www.nbcbaseball.com/index.cfm?NavID=1&SubNavID=0

Of course, they are also available online at the MLB.com website.

JM
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I know they're available online, but that's not in a single, downloadable format, like a .pdf or something. One has to print each section at a time. Furthermore, it's much less costly to obtain books and give them to guys than to print out dozens of copies of letter-size documents via the MLB web site. That can get very difficult.

BTW, I wonder if the NBC's publication includes the many changes.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
For years The Sporting News has published Official Baseball Rules, and we were fortunate to obtain the rule books at an association rate of 50% off the retail price, which was a big help when many are ordered at once. However, my contact at The Sporting News recently told me they are no longer publishing the book. When I asked him who was, he told me he had no idea and that no one there knew anything.

I've searched around but so far have had no luck. Does anyone know who is the official publisher now? With all the changes in OBR this year, it'd be nice for those of our guys who want this in the typical handy book format to be able to get it.
MLB has said it will publish the rulebook itself this sometime this season and in future years. Both The Sporting News and Triumph have announced they will no longer publish a rulebook.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

I got a copy of the 2007 Rules at Barnes and Noble. Publisher is Triumph Books. This may be the last year for Triumph. You might also get them from the Leagues, such as Pony, Babe Ruth, etc.

http://www.pony.org/files/home/PONY%...DER%20FORM.pdf
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

I saw that Triumph's copy is something like ten bucks. Whoa. A bit pricey if you ask me, and no noticeable bulk discounts it would seem.

However, it DOES have my favorite White Sox player on the front.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

It does, indeed, have Paulie. We have one thing in common: we're both Polish.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25

Go to this link

or you can still purchase the 2006 Books from Sporting News get your 50% discount and simply print out the 2007 changes on line and hand them out. There really is not that drastic of a change.

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Rules...4929651&sr=8-1
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Too much of a hassle, believe me. Everyone wants everything neatly compacted into one, little publication.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 03:20pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Then don't complain about $10 for a book...bought a book lately? $10 is cheap!
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Apples and oranges. I buy hardcover books all the time, as I'm an avid reader; but OBR books at $10 each? Ridiculous.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 09:50am
Stop staring at me swan.

if cost is an issue...any umpire who cares slightly more than zero will have or should be able to access the pro rule book online for the cost of 5 minutes at a public library, their home computer, or wherever...for guys who are often earning upwards of $70 - $100+ per game that they work to hem and haw about a $10 or less expense that teaches you the updates on how to do your job correctly (from a rules standpoint) is just plain miserly. cough up the $10 or find a buddy to give you his old rule book...one that's a year old is better than nothing...
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

It's obvious you don't understand the first thing about assigning for a bunch of individuals who simply will not do what you propose. (A) It's cumbersome [the online book cannot be printed as a single file], (B) it's time consuming, (C) it's not as easy as having a book readily on hand.

It is human nature to want things provided as easily as possible, and while I disdain spoonfeeding people, there are certain instances when it's best to make things easier. One of these is providing rule books--not a collection of printouts from the Web, but traditional rule books.

Please restrict your unhelpful comments to another thread. This one is for a source from which to obtain the OBR book. I don't need a lecture from someone unable to understand what I am asking.

Last edited by UMP25; Tue Mar 27, 2007 at 10:28am.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 10:35am
Stop staring at me swan.

chill brother...chill...i, like you, get an opinion on here. read the other threads...everybody gets an opinion...even on rules that are black and white...and quite honestly, obviously, neither of us care about each other's thoughts on this topic...if you can't take another opinion...what correlation is there between handing out rule books versus online access...you're still not guaranteed to get your people to read the rules...that's all I'm saying...and yes, I do have assigning experience since you implied otherwise. thanks
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 10:38am
Stop staring at me swan.

by the way...here are pdf's to the 2007 changes...
http://www.dixie.org/AssetFactory.aspx?did=199

otherwise get your books for $10 a piece...bump your annual dues by $5 there's your subsidy for the $10 books...