The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

http://www.amateurumpire.com/mech/mech08.htm

The above link has one of the best explanations on the subject that I've ever seen. Scott Ehret's no stranger to baseball rules either.

Jerry
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Don't leave lettice on the keyboard either.

kylejt,

Nice shot!

My point still stands. FED tries to write the rules in as simple a manner as possible so anyone can get a handle on the rules and umpire. And while that philosophy is a good one (as an instructor of new umpires IMO FED is easier to teach a newbie umpire than NCAA or OBR), it leads to problerms at times, with this rule as a prime example.

They want to have a time for F1 to be on the rubber before the time of the pitch, or coming set from a strech. Or, in other words, no quick return pitches. And what is the best way to explain it? You see their answer, for good or ill.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Old Jock Remedy Prevents Chaffing

For years I would insert a hard plastic cup with rubber edges by itself into a XL jock. I often had trouble inserting and removing the cup while wearing the jock at the same time. I found myself "scratching" in public more often than others and for longer periods of time. I also felt the cup chaffing up my underside when worn over longer periods of time. Now that was an embarassing situation for this XXL old man.

Now I have discovered an easier solution to these problems. First place the cup into an old leftover jock and cut off the leg straps and waistband. Whala, now the cup will slide easily into and out of its correct position in a new jock. No more trouble with quick cup adjustments and far fewer needs to check its position in view of the ladies. The chaffing issue is also addressed. Please check this out for yourself and pass the info along to others. I use to ruin the leg straps on older $7 jocks much too often. Now I even save money because their lifetime usage has lasted much longer than normal.

Last edited by SAump; Mon Mar 26, 2007 at 07:13pm.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Place the bong on the floor and back away slowly!

Tim.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 03:59pm
Archaic Power Monger

SAUmp, Other than the word "rubber" and the subject of baseball, I'm trying to figure out how your last post is even remotely related to this topic?
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Absolutely correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe
SAUmp, Other than the word "rubber" and the subject of baseball, I'm trying to figure out how your last post is even remotely related to this topic?
I must confess. Now if the title would have read "Signs from the Rubber" I probably wouldn't have done it. I thought of starting a new thread. I thought of attaching it to the McDavid/Underarmour thread. Yet, not many people on this website want to discuss the finer points of wearing a CUP inside 2 jocks. I knew it wouldn't generate much discussion anyway, beyond the imagery. For example, "If you really wanna take good care of your boys, just follow my simple advice."

Some have discussed cutting the excess straps off the top of a brand new $60 mask before. Others have discussed cutting the upper-arm guards off a brand new $100 CP. Many have discuss cutting the metatarsal guard off a brand new pair of $120 Wilson leg guards. A few have even discussed cutting the throat padding off a brand new $150 Wilson Platinum CP. Why should I appear a little skittish about cutting the straps and waistband off an old worn out jock?

I didn't say cut the straps off a perfectly good $8 jock. I still believe it is pretty good advice and I can't remember if anyone else has suggested it before. Is anyone here gonna teach a LLer why he must wear a jock in the first place? The title did read "Signs of Rubber" and so I did what everybody else does. I simply hijacked my way onto this thread. I am sure there is a better place for it, but I am not gonna go out of my way to look.

Last edited by SAump; Mon Mar 26, 2007 at 09:07pm.