The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

This HS season, I have been really working on seeing and calling obstruction because I believe that several types of obstruction are missed. I think that we have discussed the topic several times on the different boards. I had this play last night in a HS V game. Let me know what you all think.

R1 on first, ball hit back to F1. F1 turns to throw to second but throws the ball to the third base side and over F4. F4 reaches for the thrown ball and falls down on the third base side of second base as the ball is rolling into centerfield. R1, seeing the overthrow, rounds second with the intent of going to third and stumbles over F4 still on the ground. I am PU and have trailed the play up the first baseline. I am moving across the field to cover the play at third when I see R1 stumble over F4. My left arm goes out for the obstruction call. R1 made it to third safely, so it had no bearing on the play.

My concern is if this is really obstruction. R1 got to where F4 was on the ground before F4 really had a chance to get out of her way. My reasoning is that once the errant throw got by F4, she is no longer involved in the play and is subject to obstruction.

Thoughts?
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Andy,

That sounds right to me. The obstruction rule doesn't make allowances for clumsy fielders.

SamC
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Does it matter that F4 got to that position attempting to catch the ball and that if she had caught it, it would not have been obstruction? I do not see this as "about to receive".

What if a fielder falls in the path of a runner while "attempting to field a batted ball" and doesn't have time to move after it passes her? It seems to me that would be a no-call.

[Edited by CecilOne on Apr 23rd, 2003 at 03:25 PM]
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

I think I would have a no call here, unless F4 does something to give me the impression that she is obstructing. If it's a bam-bam play, I think it's a no call.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 03:26pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Andy,
Seems to me that we have to look at the type and timing of contact.

• Did R1 step on F4?
  • Did R1 make any effort to avoid F4?
  • Did F4 attempt to get up and tripped R1?
  • Was F4 still sprawling from momentum and contacted F4?

Then we get to judge interference, obstruction, train wreck.

Of course, if F4 obstructs and then R1 somehow interferes, then we only call the interference.
    mick
    Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 03:27pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by blue
    I think I would have a no call here, unless F4 does something to give me the impression that she is obstructing. If it's a bam-bam play, I think it's a no call.
    I would have to agree. Just as we do not expect a runner to disappear into thin air once put out, why would you expect a defender to be able to do the same thing.

If F4 didn't have time to move, no call. Even if she just laid there, that may be preferable to trying to get up and getting in the runner's way, hence definite obstruction. At least while prone on the ground, the runner is permitted to leap over the defender.

HTBT.