The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Over throw at 1st

Ok good morning. Here is my question:
We have a bang bang play at 1st B1 beats the throw from F6 then the throw goes out of play. Should B1 get 3rd?? U2 gave him 2nd and there were no complaints. Since this was a JV scrimmage I did not want to change his call as I was on the plate but I believe he should have gotten 3rd since he beat the throw.
Thanks Mike
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Remember its not when the ball gets there, its time of the ball when it was released by F6.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFISTO
Ok good morning. Here is my question:
We have a bang bang play at 1st B1 beats the throw from F6 then the throw goes out of play. Should B1 get 3rd?? U2 gave him 2nd and there were no complaints. Since this was a JV scrimmage I did not want to change his call as I was on the plate but I believe he should have gotten 3rd since he beat the throw.
Thanks Mike
Getting 2B is the correct call. The batter (and other runners) get two bases from their position at the time of the pitch when the first throw by an infielder goes out of play.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Pfisto,

Most likely, the BR should properly be awarded 2B. If this was the first play by an infielder and the BR had not reached 1B at the time the throw left F6's hand, the award is 2 bases TOP, not TOT.

JM
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandotheman
Remember its not when the ball gets there, its time of the ball when it was released by F6.
Actually, it's not that either. it's the time of pitch (assuming this was not the tail end of a DP).
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Since this was a JV scrimmage I did not want to change his call as I was on the plate but I believe he should have gotten 3rd since he beat the throw.

It doesnt matter if it was a scrimmage or not, its not your place to change his call....
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Well I just looked it up and yes it's TOP for the first play by infielder ( I do know this ), And I didn't say it was right as I would NEVER attemp to change a call without being asked first by my partner. Good thing as I was wroung. But off the top of my head for some reason I was thinking that since he beat the throw that it changed things but I was wroung.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
Pfisto,

Most likely, the BR should properly be awarded 2B. If this was the first play by an infielder and the BR had not reached 1B at the time the throw left F6's hand, the award is 2 bases TOP, not TOT.

JM
So you are saying that if BR had reached 1st before F6 threw the ball it would be TOT??

When a runner, who is returning to touch a base after a batted ball has been caught is prevented from doing so because a thrown live ball has become dead (5-1-1g), his award shall be from the base he occupied at the time of the pitch. In any situations other than (a) or (b), on a batted ball which is the first play by an infielder, all runners including the batter-runner are awarded two bases from their positions at the time of the pitch. For purposes of this rule, the act of fielding is not considered a play. If every runner, including the batter-runner, has advanced one base at the time of the first play, the award is two bases from the time of the throw. For any subsequent play by an infielder or for any throw by an outfielder, the award is two bases from the time of the throw

Last edited by PFISTO; Tue Mar 27, 2007 at 08:05am.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Mechanics on This Play

Since the plate ump has the responsibility for overthrows into deadball territory on this play, doesn't he make the award?

Am I confused?
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 08:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
Getting 2B is the correct call. The batter (and other runners) get two bases from their position at the time of the pitch when the first throw by an infielder goes out of play.
Rich,

You are rarely inaccurate, so this surprised me. You meant to say "first PLAY" rather than first throw, right?

--Rich
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

PFISTO,

Quote:
So you are saying that if BR had reached 1st before F6 threw the ball it would be TOT??
Yes, (assuming any other runners had also reached their advance base at the time the throw left the fielder's hand), that's what I'm saying.

Because that's what the rule you quoted, and the 7.05(g) A.R., say.

JM
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37
Since the plate ump has the responsibility for overthrows into deadball territory on this play, doesn't he make the award?

Yes. The BU should be in the process of leaving "A" and moving 'inside' for a possible advance to 2B.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFISTO
Yes.

Example: Nobody on, ball hit to short. The fielder bobbles the ball a couple times, bends down to retrieve it, then fires to first in a futile attempt to retire B1, who's well past the bag. At the time F6 released the ball, B1 had passed first base. Ruling: 2-base award from time of throw and not pitch. B1 is awarded third base.

Such a situation is admittedly exceedingly rare. Remember, too, that if there are runners on base, ALL of them must reach their advance base in order for a TOP award to become a TOT award. If even ONE runner doesn't reach his advance base, then the first play by the infielder is a TOP award.

There's a question on the NCAA quiz #1 on this very subject.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Rich,

You are rarely inaccurate, so this surprised me. You meant to say "first PLAY" rather than first throw, right?

--Rich
He probably meant that, but when an infielder throws to retire a runner, the throw is the first play.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandotheman
Uhhhh...no. Position of runners at time of pitch.