The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

rule question ncaa

R2, two outs. B1 hits a high fly near third. F5 settles under the ball on foul ground but then moves toward fair ground in an attempt to catch the drifting ball. Just before the catch, R2, who had selected a path to avoid F5's original position, bumps into F5 between third and home and the ball falls to the ground in fair territory, uncaught.

interference on R2 or not??
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

The runner has to avoid contact, not just try to avoid contact. Interference.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newump
R2, two outs. B1 hits a high fly near third. F5 settles under the ball on foul ground but then moves toward fair ground in an attempt to catch the drifting ball. Just before the catch, R2, who had selected a path to avoid F5's original position, bumps into F5 between third and home and the ball falls to the ground in fair territory, uncaught.

interference on R2 or not??
Sounds like a good case to me. He has no business in foul territory beyond 3B making contact with fielder trying to catch a fly ball.

I had one tonight the coach wanted to discuss. Batter hits a high popup toward 1B near the line. F3 is camped under it and at the last moment he has to make a step to his right. Batter who was running up the line takes a step into fair territory and makes contact. F3 and ball fall to the ground, and I call the interference. Batter has responsibility to avoid the fielder in this case and in your case.

Last edited by DG; Fri Mar 02, 2007 at 10:13pm.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not arguing. I'm just curious... What if the fielder steps into the line of the oncoming runner at the absolute last split-second? The fielder is looking up at the drifting ball. The runner is trying (unsuccessfully) to avoid contact, but he's also trying to get to the base and is running hard. Nothing deliberate, but a violent collision occurs and the fielder drops the ball. What's the call? This must happen sometimes.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan1952
I'm not arguing. I'm just curious... What if the fielder steps into the line of the oncoming runner at the absolute last split-second? The fielder is looking up at the drifting ball. The runner is trying (unsuccessfully) to avoid contact, but he's also trying to get to the base and is running hard. Nothing deliberate, but a violent collision occurs and the fielder drops the ball. What's the call? This must happen sometimes.
Runner is still out, and with less than 2 all others return.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

ncaa agrees with your responses. thx
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan1952
In the original post the interference happened beyond 3B with R2 making contact beyond 3B with 2 out. There is no reason for R2 to be there, except to interfere. In the example I cited the interference happened in fair territory and there is no reason for the batter to be there.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

When the B-R interferes with a fielder as he runs up the first base line, who has the call?
If ball is a fair/foul question, PU has the ball and BU would have B-R, correct?
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 01:56am
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
When the B-R interferes with a fielder as he runs up the first base line, who has the call?
If ball is a fair/foul question, PU has the ball and BU would have B-R, correct?
Depends! The PU has any tag on the runner up until the 45' mark. After that, it is the BU.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

In the original scenario and all the variations noted, the runner's obligation to avoid interference is absolute. Intent, best efforts, woulda-coulda-shoulda are all completely irrelevant. If the fielder is interfered with, the runner is out. End of story.