Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 10, 2001, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to M. Efird
Arrow

Hey, All!

I live in Alaska, and have Umpired at levels up through American Legion Varsity. We have a good but small group of officials up here that have been to the Jim Evan's academy in Fla. and love the sport and love passing their knowledge on to younger officials. Through these guys I've had most of my training and inspiration to continue on. I not only love the sport, but I believe that Umpiring is absolutly the best thing I do (although i'm certainly not the best).
I've been reading these forums a little while, and noticed from time to time that people talk about being in a (i cant remember the exact wording) "league" of umpires where they have to work their way up to varsity levels, and such. My question to u is...

I'm moving to Washington (seattle-ish)in May, and want to "dive right in", so is there anyone in that area on this forum that can tell me who to talk to?
Thanks for the help
Old Sun Nov 11, 2001, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

It would be a good idea to get letters of recommendation from the BODs of any associations you belong to in Alaska. That way you won't walk in totally out of the cold.

Bob
Old Sun Nov 11, 2001, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Try this

The Seattle area's largest umpire association is the Northwest Baseball Umpires Association. They maintain a website at: http://www.NBUA.com

I'm sure they, like most umpires associations, can use an experienced, qualified and talented umpire. Bring letters of recommendation from your trainer and assigner. Letter's from coaches help as well.

But don't expect to be taken solely at your word. I believe the NBUA evaluates transfers closely to confirm the recommendations. You can't believe the number of mediocre and below umpires who transfer in to an association claiming to be Top Dogs and D-1 qualified. Those of us responsible for assigning need to know the REAL level of competency before we give new umpires a schedule.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by M. Efird

Hey, All!

I live in Alaska, and have Umpired at levels up through American Legion Varsity. I've been reading these forums a little while, and noticed from time to time that people talk about being in a (i cant remember the exact wording) "league" of umpires where they have to work their way up to varsity levels, and such. My question to u is...

I'm moving to Washington (seattle-ish)in May, and want to "dive right in", so is there anyone in that area on this forum that can tell me who to talk to?

Can't speak for Seattle (Garth gave you the link), but I can speak for NY. In NY your first three years (unless you come from a different area with experience and a letter of recommendation), you umpire strictly modified, Freshman and JV level. You get that rare Varsity game but it normally is one of the weaker games in which the vets pass on.

In additon, at least from my perspective, assignments are given based on who is most available and not necessarily the one who is the most qualified.

Example; I have already received my assignment sheet for me to list my availabilty for next season which starts in March. This is the earliest I have received it. In the memorandum from the assignor, it states, please fill in your prospective dates ASAP and also list which areas you can work in.

The less dates you fill in and the less areas in which you can work Have a Direct effect on the assignments you receive. For me it's virtually impossible to fill out with any degree of certainty, because my son plays LL and I do not have his schedule yet - heck sign ups were only last weekend. Therfore I will poke and hope and obviously have many a correction once I know my son's schedule. Family comes first

I mainly got HS certified in order to do Summer / Fall Ball where my availability increases, LL season is over and there is less politics. Therefore, Not only find out the HS connections but find out who assigns summer / Fall ball as well. Sometimes, the assignors for HS are not necessarily the same for Summer / Fall Ball. Seattle might be different from NY but you will find out soon.

Pete Booth

[Edited by PeteBooth on Nov 12th, 2001 at 07:50 AM]
Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by M. Efird
I live in Alaska, I'm moving to Washington (seattle-ish)in May
Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
That way you won't walk in totally out of the cold.
So to speak!
Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Dakota! That's good...that's real good!