Thread: Movin' On
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by M. Efird

Hey, All!

I live in Alaska, and have Umpired at levels up through American Legion Varsity. I've been reading these forums a little while, and noticed from time to time that people talk about being in a (i cant remember the exact wording) "league" of umpires where they have to work their way up to varsity levels, and such. My question to u is...

I'm moving to Washington (seattle-ish)in May, and want to "dive right in", so is there anyone in that area on this forum that can tell me who to talk to?

Can't speak for Seattle (Garth gave you the link), but I can speak for NY. In NY your first three years (unless you come from a different area with experience and a letter of recommendation), you umpire strictly modified, Freshman and JV level. You get that rare Varsity game but it normally is one of the weaker games in which the vets pass on.

In additon, at least from my perspective, assignments are given based on who is most available and not necessarily the one who is the most qualified.

Example; I have already received my assignment sheet for me to list my availabilty for next season which starts in March. This is the earliest I have received it. In the memorandum from the assignor, it states, please fill in your prospective dates ASAP and also list which areas you can work in.

The less dates you fill in and the less areas in which you can work Have a Direct effect on the assignments you receive. For me it's virtually impossible to fill out with any degree of certainty, because my son plays LL and I do not have his schedule yet - heck sign ups were only last weekend. Therfore I will poke and hope and obviously have many a correction once I know my son's schedule. Family comes first

I mainly got HS certified in order to do Summer / Fall Ball where my availability increases, LL season is over and there is less politics. Therefore, Not only find out the HS connections but find out who assigns summer / Fall ball as well. Sometimes, the assignors for HS are not necessarily the same for Summer / Fall Ball. Seattle might be different from NY but you will find out soon.

Pete Booth

[Edited by PeteBooth on Nov 12th, 2001 at 07:50 AM]