The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 84
Tanel Plate Shoes

Anyone know where I could get a good deal on Tanel plate Shoes? I have looked everywhere I can think for these but I can't find them for under $120. Anyone know where I could get a pair for under $100. I wear an 11, if that matters.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Greater Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 611
Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by uxley11
Anyone know where I could get a good deal on Tanel plate Shoes? I have looked everywhere I can think for these but I can't find them for under $120. Anyone know where I could get a pair for under $100. I wear an 11, if that matters.
If you buy them from someone, and they don't fit, will you send them back to Honig's ?
__________________
All generalizations are bad. - R.H. Grenier
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 60
I gave you this link in a thread that you had going about a month or so ago, when you asked the exact same question. Tanel plate shoes, $99.99:

http://www.directsports.com/catalog/browse/8/82.html

I guess that was before you got distracted over trying to make $20 on the eBay/Honig's purchase/return/resale.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 03:11am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotblue?
I gave you this link in a thread that you had going about a month or so ago, when you asked the exact same question. Tanel plate shoes, $99.99:

http://www.directsports.com/catalog/browse/8/82.html

I guess that was before you got distracted over trying to make $20 on the eBay/Honig's purchase/return/resale.

What's so hot about the Tanel shoes? Sorry I'm new to this. I'm trying to get feel for what brands are good.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 09:22am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,640
Nothing super-hot about them, other than they are lightweight, comfortable, durable and offer great protection.

The unique circular cleat pattern on the sole is advertised as taking pressure off weight bearing areas of the foot. That seems to be true from my experience.

I have a pair and I love them. But the "best" shoe is going to be highly subjective and vary by personal preference.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 09:52am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 4,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindofficial
What's so hot about the Tanel shoes? Sorry I'm new to this. I'm trying to get feel for what brands are good.
When it comes to plate shoes, most offer equal protection. My check list then goes, comfort, weight, price.

Look at Gerry Davis and Honigs as well during your search.
__________________
GB
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 11:14am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpduck11
If you buy them from someone, and they don't fit, will you send them back to Honig's ?

Ha!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 11:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,577
I know the adage, "no one looks at an ump's shoes," but IMO the Tanels push that old saw to the absolute limit. They are about the most unattractive shoes Ive ever seen.

Just my opinion, of course.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Dover, DE
Posts: 103
Send a message via Yahoo to Delaware Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
They are about the most unattractive shoes Ive ever seen.

Just my opinion, of course.
They may not be the most fashionable, but what they lack in looks they more than make up for in comfort.

I'd put them ahead of New Balance on my fashion list. Now those are some ugly shoes. But very comfortable and the guys I know who wear them love them. (The only reason I don't wear the New Balance is that they just don't fit me correctly.) Looks isn't everything...
__________________
Bill
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
I know the adage, "no one looks at an ump's shoes," but IMO the Tanels push that old saw to the absolute limit. They are about the most unattractive shoes Ive ever seen.

Just my opinion, of course.

Hmmm, i have the complete opposite opinion actually. I think they look MUCH better than the other frankenstein looking boots.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Greater Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 611
Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
I've been told the Tanel shoes do not come in wide widths.
__________________
All generalizations are bad. - R.H. Grenier
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 60
I will admit that I do not know exactly what "look" I should be going for as a good, solid umpire. However, the Tanel plate shoes look the closest to normal street shoes as I think you could ever hope to get, that is, they almost look like shoes, not Frankenstein boots. Let me reiterate, I don't know what look I am supposed to be trying to achieve.

They are awfully comfortable, though, and I might sacrifice "Big Dawg Look" for that comfort, if it came to it.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 11:29pm
DG DG is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotblue?
I will admit that I do not know exactly what "look" I should be going for as a good, solid umpire. However, the Tanel plate shoes look the closest to normal street shoes as I think you could ever hope to get, that is, they almost look like shoes, not Frankenstein boots. Let me reiterate, I don't know what look I am supposed to be trying to achieve.

They are awfully comfortable, though, and I might sacrifice "Big Dawg Look" for that comfort, if it came to it.
Comfort = confidence. Professional look = shine. Big Dawg Look = ???
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 01:24am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SW Kansas
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Comfort = confidence. Professional look = shine. Big Dawg Look = ???
Big Dawg look=Covered in Slobber.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 4,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
I usually picture the Big Dawgs around here licking themselves.........
Paul,

You pick some interesting things to spend time picturing. You should talk to someone about that.
__________________
GB
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tanel plate shoes LakeErieUmp Baseball 17 Tue Oct 03, 2006 02:57am
Tanel Plate shoes - I've never been so disappointed Dakota Softball 31 Tue Aug 22, 2006 05:20pm
Plate Shoes Coachdg Baseball 16 Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:39am
Tanel plate shoe Dakota Softball 11 Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:15pm
Plate Shoes ntxblue Softball 5 Wed Nov 13, 2002 08:45pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1