The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Tanel Plate Shoes (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/31747-tanel-plate-shoes.html)

uxley11 Sun Feb 11, 2007 09:08pm

Tanel Plate Shoes

Anyone know where I could get a good deal on Tanel plate Shoes? I have looked everywhere I can think for these but I can't find them for under $120. Anyone know where I could get a pair for under $100. I wear an 11, if that matters.

umpduck11 Sun Feb 11, 2007 09:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by uxley11
Anyone know where I could get a good deal on Tanel plate Shoes? I have looked everywhere I can think for these but I can't find them for under $120. Anyone know where I could get a pair for under $100. I wear an 11, if that matters.

If you buy them from someone, and they don't fit, will you send them back to Honig's ? :D

gotblue? Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:58pm

I gave you this link in a thread that you had going about a month or so ago, when you asked the exact same question. Tanel plate shoes, $99.99:

http://www.directsports.com/catalog/browse/8/82.html

I guess that was before you got distracted over trying to make $20 on the eBay/Honig's purchase/return/resale.

blindofficial Mon Feb 12, 2007 03:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotblue?
I gave you this link in a thread that you had going about a month or so ago, when you asked the exact same question. Tanel plate shoes, $99.99:

http://www.directsports.com/catalog/browse/8/82.html

I guess that was before you got distracted over trying to make $20 on the eBay/Honig's purchase/return/resale.

What's so hot about the Tanel shoes? Sorry I'm new to this. I'm trying to get feel for what brands are good.

BretMan Mon Feb 12, 2007 09:22am

Nothing super-hot about them, other than they are lightweight, comfortable, durable and offer great protection.

The unique circular cleat pattern on the sole is advertised as taking pressure off weight bearing areas of the foot. That seems to be true from my experience.

I have a pair and I love them. But the "best" shoe is going to be highly subjective and vary by personal preference.

GarthB Mon Feb 12, 2007 09:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindofficial
What's so hot about the Tanel shoes? Sorry I'm new to this. I'm trying to get feel for what brands are good.

When it comes to plate shoes, most offer equal protection. My check list then goes, comfort, weight, price.

Look at Gerry Davis and Honigs as well during your search.

LMan Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpduck11
If you buy them from someone, and they don't fit, will you send them back to Honig's ? :D

Ha! :D

LMan Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:15am

I know the adage, "no one looks at an ump's shoes," but IMO the Tanels push that old saw to the absolute limit. They are about the most unattractive shoes Ive ever seen.

Just my opinion, of course.

Delaware Blue Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan
They are about the most unattractive shoes Ive ever seen.

They may not be the most fashionable, but what they lack in looks they more than make up for in comfort.

I'd put them ahead of New Balance on my fashion list. Now those are some ugly shoes. But very comfortable and the guys I know who wear them love them. (The only reason I don't wear the New Balance is that they just don't fit me correctly.) Looks isn't everything...

bossman72 Mon Feb 12, 2007 07:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan
I know the adage, "no one looks at an ump's shoes," but IMO the Tanels push that old saw to the absolute limit. They are about the most unattractive shoes Ive ever seen.

Hmmm, i have the complete opposite opinion actually. I think they look MUCH better than the other frankenstein looking boots.

umpduck11 Mon Feb 12, 2007 09:26pm

I've been told the Tanel shoes do not come in wide widths. :mad:

gotblue? Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:07pm

I will admit that I do not know exactly what "look" I should be going for as a good, solid umpire. However, the Tanel plate shoes look the closest to normal street shoes as I think you could ever hope to get, that is, they almost look like shoes, not Frankenstein boots. Let me reiterate, I don't know what look I am supposed to be trying to achieve.

They are awfully comfortable, though, and I might sacrifice "Big Dawg Look" for that comfort, if it came to it.

DG Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotblue?
I will admit that I do not know exactly what "look" I should be going for as a good, solid umpire. However, the Tanel plate shoes look the closest to normal street shoes as I think you could ever hope to get, that is, they almost look like shoes, not Frankenstein boots. Let me reiterate, I don't know what look I am supposed to be trying to achieve.

They are awfully comfortable, though, and I might sacrifice "Big Dawg Look" for that comfort, if it came to it.

Comfort = confidence. Professional look = shine. Big Dawg Look = ???

DonInKansas Tue Feb 13, 2007 01:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG
Comfort = confidence. Professional look = shine. Big Dawg Look = ???

Big Dawg look=Covered in Slobber.

GarthB Tue Feb 13, 2007 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWL
I usually picture the Big Dawgs around here licking themselves.........:D

Paul,

You pick some interesting things to spend time picturing. You should talk to someone about that.