The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Traditional Mask vs HSH Mask Redux

I know every so often we go over the pros and cons of wearing a traditional catcher's mask versus the new hockey style helmet. I wanted to post a link to an article that may or may not have added valuable info to our puzzling questions.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 09:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

What does any of this have to do with one piece of equipment vs. another piece of equipment?

Not trying to be funny, there was nothing in the article that even talked about this issue. And if I am not mistaken Matheny used a helmet. At least there have been several catchers on the Cardinals that have worn helmets over the last few years. I cannot remember if Matheny was any different. The problem is nothing in the article even addressed why he had concussions and what caused them all. All we know is he had them after one time he was hit in the mask with a ball. Matheny could have received a concussion years ago (possibly undiagnosed) for some other reason than a foul ball hitting him in the helmet or mask for all we know. And it is assumed that when you have one concussion, you are susceptible to more concussions in the future. I know of catchers that got concussions for getting ran over at home plate. Also some people are more likely to get concussions than others. Concussions are caused by the brain hitting the walls of your skull, not just for getting hit in the head.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

POE Concussions

Perhaps, after reading the following article, this post will help educate people about 1) the symptoms and 2) the severity of the condition.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2554254

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Whether or not the mask is partly responsible is an issue. JRut has easily dismissed the possibility. Nothing conclusive has yet been established. Others may have a different perspective. This post may not have provided additional info. Time will tell.

Last edited by SAump; Thu Feb 01, 2007 at 11:24pm.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 11:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Do not miss represent my post or opinion. I said nothing in the article had anything to do with what caused Matheny's concussion. I think you need to learn to comprehend what you read, because it the article was just about Matheny retiring and blamed it on concussions. It did not say "why" he got concussions in the first place. Anyone with a college degree in social sciences or the hard sciences knows you need some evidence to make such a claim.

Personally I do not have a dog in this fight. I have never had a concussion. BTW, football players get them all the time and they have a helmet too.

Here are 3 different quotes in the article. The last is not based on research, but a personal belief.

Quote:
"A concussion is a shaking of the brain that causes chemical changes. Athletes suffer an estimated 300,000 of them nationwide each year, according to the Sports Concussion Program at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Most recover fully, but experts believe a person who suffers a concussion is more prone in the future."

With a single concussion, you're going to recover," said Dr. Micky Collins, assistant director of the University of Pittsburgh concussion center where Matheny has been treated. "The problem is, when you have a concussion and undergo these chemical changes, you're a lot more vulnerable if you have a second before the first one is recovered."

Matheny uses the hockey-style mask preferred by some catchers for its better sight lines, and he was initially convinced it contributed to his concussion. But the Giants enlisted two testing centers to compare the impact resistance of the hockey mask to the traditional catcher's mask -- and, so far, they appear to offer similar protection.
Also for the record I am not taking a side here. I wear a traditional mask because I see no reason to wear a hockey style mask.

I guess my background where just writing a basic research paper, if I came up with this article as evidence of a position, I would get a big stinking F.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
If you choose to switch to an HSM, be prepared to take a lot of flack from "Old Fart, Stick In The Mud" types.

But remember, the inability of the Dinosaur to Improve and Adapt, lead to it's demise !

Go for it.

Nick
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 02:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
If you choose to switch to an HSM, be prepared to take a lot of flack from "Old Fart, Stick In The Mud" types.

But remember, the inability of the Dinosaur to Improve and Adapt, lead to it's demise !

Go for it.
Just so you know I know several very good umpires that decided to make the change and I do not know of anyone giving them crap over it. From my point of view, this seems more like an internet discussion rather than a real world discussion. This is a personal choice all the way. If it works for you I know I do not personally care and I have never heard anyone outside of this board make a big deal about this topic either way. There are Major League Umpires that use helmets and I do not see why anyone cares if it helps you call the game or be safe. I have chosen not to make that move for completely personal reasons. I would not like a helmet from everything I know at this time.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
To my knowledge, I don't recall ever having a concussion. To my knowlege I have never had a concussion. What were we talking about? I have never had a concussion or any brain damage from getting hit with a football.

Seriously, where whatever you want. You get hit in the head, it will hurt. I know that much. The worse hit I ever took was in football, and nothing so far in baseball has come close. Besides, the steel plate in my head picks up radio really well.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 05:38pm

Quote:
Once again, a tremendous exaggeration, and a totally bad analogy. Those umpires who wear masks will continue to do so, and manufacturers have no plans on discontinuing their production of masks.

Besides, it wasn't just the dinosaurs that died out in this extinction. Whatever caused the death of the dinosaurs also caused the death of around 70% of all of the species on the Earth.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:

Go for it.
I may be wrong, Nick, but I don't recall anyone giving you a hard time about your choice to wear a HSM. It seems to me the animosity started when you tried to push the HSM on all of us that wear a traditional style mask. I think a HSM is hot, heavy, and not really necessary for me. I tried it and didn't like it.

Tim.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't recall anyone who switched to the Hockey Helmet getting flack. However, I do recall someone who switched and then exaggerated and lied about the benefits, ridiculed those who still chose to wear traditional masks and then went on and on and on and on and on in his attempts to proselytize, never demonstrating any potential for learning when to STFU.

Yeah. I remember that.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
I don't recall anyone who switched to the Hockey Helmet getting flack. However, I do recall someone who switched and then exaggerated and lied about the benefits, ridiculed those who still chose to wear traditional masks and then went on and on and on and on and on in his attempts to proselytize, never demonstrating any potential for learning when to STFU.

Yeah. I remember that.
I got a concussion wearing a +POS SUL. Does that count?

Me, I don't like the HSM because it's TOO DAMN LOUD inside! Take a shot, and your ears ring for two innings. At sharp "FOUL!" is nearly painful. Plus there's less padding on the forehead. And it's hot. And then.....

But that's just me, and I couldn't care less if anyone else wants to use one. It doesn't bother me in the least. And, I find it silly that it bugs some folks. Who cares?
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Guess I'll have to stay a dinosaur.

Long live the tar pits!
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Guess I'll have to stay a dinosaur.

Long live the tar pits!
same here. i figured it would be a while until i got old fart status...22 is a bit younger than i ever imagined i would be when i gained the title.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I may be wrong, Nick, but I don't recall anyone giving you a hard time about your choice to wear a HSM. It seems to me the animosity started when you tried to push the HSM on all of us that wear a traditional style mask. I think a HSM is hot, heavy, and not really necessary for me. I tried it and didn't like it.

Tim.
Hey Tim, that's perfectly fine. You tried it, and prefer not to wear one. I will listen to, and respect, anyone's opinion of HSM's who has actually tried one.

Nick
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 02:15am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Hey Tim, that's perfectly fine. You tried it, and prefer not to wear one. I will listen to, and respect, anyone's opinion of HSM's who has actually tried one.
You will never learn I see.

Peace