The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 01, 2001, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Question

The Rules for blocking a base. (OBR)

1. Without possession of the ball, no fielder has the right to block the base. Period. *one exception (see below)

2. A fielder may be in the basepath of the runner if a throw is close enough and the fielder must be in that spot to field the ball. However, that does not give the fielder the right to block the base, except for (see exception 1).

3. If the fielder has possession of the ball, he is completely in his rights to block the base. No obstruction shall be called on a fielder with possession of the ball, except in cases of intentional obstruction.

*Exception 1: As noted in J/R, he may block the base if his block is a fluid, continuous result of his effort to glove the ball. And reaching away from one's body and blocking the base with the body are seperate, discontinusous acts to block the base, and therefore obstruction.

What should I add, or take away? Or do I just need a few more exceptions?

[Edited by devilsadvocate on Nov 2nd, 2001 at 08:52 AM]

Old Fri Nov 02, 2001, 08:19am
Veteran College Umpire

How can a defensive player have "intentional obstruction" when he is in possession of the ball?...

Are we attempting to rewrite the rules here, or just clarify the existing rules? Just curious...

GBA
Old Fri Nov 02, 2001, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devilsadvocate
The Rules for blocking a base

3. If the fielder has possession of the ball, he is completely in his rights to block the base. No obstruction shall be called on a fielder with possession of the ball, except in cases of intentional obstruction.

What should I add, or take away? Or do I just need a few more exceptions?
__________________________________________________ _________

but curious.

D A
Further explain the bold underlinned portion of step 3.
I would find it very hard indeed to come up with any type
of obstruction while defensive player is in possession
of the ball and involved in the play.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2001, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Question

"Further explain the bold underlinned portion of step 3.
I would find it very hard indeed to come up with any type
of obstruction while defensive player is in possession
of the ball and involved in the play."

glen and JJ

The type of obstruction that I would be thinking of, and I'm not sure even about but I think I've read this before, is where the fielder does something like grap the runner or trip the runner intentionally.

A scerario: The runner is going from second to third. For some reason, no fielder is covering third. F4 throws the ball to F6, who is standing between second and third. The throw is a little off, and the catch is made on the outfield side of the baseline between second and third. A split second after the catch is made (F6 now has possession) the runner is running past F6. He is within easy reach of the right hand of the fielder, but the ball is in the glove of the fielder (left hand) and he will have to spin around to actually tag the runner. Instead of spinning around and trying to tag the runner with the glove (which contains the ball), F6 grabs the runner with the right hand, holds him, then tags the runner with the glove.

This would seem like a case where, even though the fielder had possession of the ball, such an act would be obstruction.

JJ and Glen, other than that particular issue, is the post correct in "when" you can/can't block the base? Let's make this a working document, adding and subtracting as needed.

[Edited by devilsadvocate on Nov 2nd, 2001 at 08:54 AM]

Old Fri Nov 02, 2001, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation to grab or trip...

Re: "The type of obstruction that I would be thinking of, and I'm not sure even about but I think I've read this before, is where the fielder does something like grap the runner or trip the runner intentionally."

To "grab" or "trip" intentionally is more than "obstruction"; since, they most definitely are "Unsportsmanlike Conduct" rule violations!
Old Fri Nov 02, 2001, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Re: to grab or trip...

Quote:
Originally posted by Rog

[/B]To "grab" or "trip" intentionally is more than "obstruction"; since, they most definitely are "Unsportsmanlike Conduct" rule violations![/B]
So we're on the same track. Obviously, the defense has an advantage if they are allowed to intentionally grab, hold, tackle, trip, etc., the offensive player.

The next question: What rule applies in the above situation? Does anyone know of any casebook example similar to the situation described above?

Rog, assume it's not obstruction, but you judge it to be unsportsmanlike. You could disqualify and then eject the player. That takes care of the player. How do you then handle the play? F6 catches the throw with his left hand (has possession of the ball), then F6 grabs and holds the runner with his right hand, then F6 applies the tag. So what you have to this point is one out. Do you allow the out to stand?

Old Fri Nov 02, 2001, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

"That takes care of the player. How do you then handle the play? F6 catches the throw with his left hand (has possession of the ball), then F6 grabs and holds the runner with his right hand, then F6 applies the tag. So what you have to this point is one out. Do you allow the out to stand?"

You cannot award a team for an unfair act. My call: Flagrant unsportsmanlike conduct. Runner to 3B. F6 ejected.

Bob
Old Fri Nov 02, 2001, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Bluezebra, I agree.

So which rule do you use to "put R2 on third".

There are two rules that an umpire may be able to use in this situation: Call "obstruction", 7.06a or use 9.01c.

You would have to pick some rule. Because if there was a protest, and you called Williamsport, then they would want to know what rule you used to award the base.

Old Fri Nov 02, 2001, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Talking don't let this get too complex...

It should be a very basic call - with two distinct elements.
1) Obstruction
2) Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Obstruction = 7.06(a), move the runner to the next base.
Unsportsmanlike Conduct = LL 9.01(d), move that player to the bench/showers!
Old Fri Nov 02, 2001, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Rog,
Have we definately decided that F6 would be guilty of obstruction for grabbing and holding R2 while in possesion of the ball?

Old Fri Nov 02, 2001, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up according to your situation.....

"F4 throws the ball to F6, who is standing between second and third. The throw is a little off, and the catch is made on the outfield side of the baseline between second and third. A split second after the catch is made (F6 now has possession) the runner is running past F6. He is within easy reach of the right hand of the fielder, but the ball is in the glove of the fielder (left hand) and he will have to spin around to actually tag the runner. Instead of spinning around and trying to tag the runner with the glove (which contains the ball), F6 grabs the runner with the right hand, holds him, then tags the runner with the glove."

" ABSOLUTELY!!! " (see next to last sentence...)

per - "J/R: 15 Obstruction

Obstruction can occur during a batted or thrown ball. Contact 7.06
is not necessary. When obstruction occurs, an umpire should call, "that's obstruction", and point at the location of the infraction.

It is obstruction if
A. a fielder who is not privileged impedes or hinders the advance or 2.00
return of a runner during a fair or catchable batted ball or during a thrown ball.

(1) Concerning obstruction and a batted ball:
A fielder's "try to field" a batted ball, ends immediately upon missing or deflecting the ball, and such fielder must, in effect, disappear or risk obstruction.

On a fly ball that has not reached its apex, or on a batted ball rolling along a foul line, a fielder may not be privileged, but is positioning himself for a chance to field the ball. In such exceptional cases, runner-fielder contact is probably incidental, and not obstruction or interference (see examples of "Runner/Fielder Contact: Not interference," p. 73-74).

(2) Concerning obstruction and a thrown ball: 2.00
A fielder's "try to field" a thrown ball is a similar concept to a "try to field" a batted ball (see Chapter 13, Section II, "trying to field," p. 71-72), excepting that a "try to field" a thrown ball includes the actual possession of the thrown ball, and the fielder's actions immediately after a miss or deflection of- the ball. Therefore, a privileged fielder on a thrown ball need not "disappear" after deflecting or missing a thrown ball, and if fielder-runner contact is instantaneous, there is not obstruction,

A catcher or any fielder does have the right to block 7.06b
a runner's touch of a base if he is in the act of fielding
a throw. His block of a base must be a fluid, continuous
result of his effort to glove the ball. Separate, discontinuous movement, whose sole purpose is to block the base is obstruction.

B. a fielder intentionally impedes (e.g., trips, pins, grabs, tackles, etc,) a runner.

However, it is not obstruction if a fielder intentionally misleads or decoys
a runner."

Old Fri Nov 02, 2001, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

So now that the exception is cleared up....

Everybody, do the rules of blocking the base look complete?

Old Fri Nov 02, 2001, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Question confuzed...

How did your "situational play" get tied in with this:

"*Exception 1: As noted in J/R, he may block the base if his block is a fluid, continuous result of his effort to glove the ball. And reaching away from one's body and blocking the base with the body are seperate, discontinusous acts to block the base, and therefore obstruction."

*Exception 1 deals with "at the base"; whereas, your situational play was "in the base path"...???
Old Fri Nov 02, 2001, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Re: confuzed...

Quote:
Originally posted by Rog
How did your "situational play" get tied in with this:

"*Exception 1: As noted in J/R, he may block the base if his block is a fluid, continuous result of his effort to glove the ball. And reaching away from one's body and blocking the base with the body are seperate, discontinusous acts to block the base, and therefore obstruction."

*Exception 1 deals with "at the base"; whereas, your situational play was "in the base path"...???

Sorry about that.
I must have a loose connection in my circuitry.

What I was thinking about was when I said "except in cases of intentional obstruction."

So we answered the question of "When can you have the ball and still be called for obstruction?"

So, part 3 is clear.

Any questions on part 1? That one seems pretty clear.

I'm suprised if there isn't some feedback on part 2 and the exception.

Does anyone have something that they think should be added to the list?

Old Fri Nov 02, 2001, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Wink what part do you want to refute.....

Re: "2. A fielder may be in the basepath of the runner if a throw is close enough and the fielder must be in that spot to field the ball. However, that does not give the fielder the right to block the base, except for (see exception 1)."

The fielder; or, the runner?????