The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

face mask

all my equipment got stolen...so i go to buy a new face mask...i bought a diamond lightweight...my problem is no matter how i try..even slowly and with 2 hands....my hat comes off every time i take it off...is it the harness...anyone have this problem or know how to resolve it....
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clips2
all my equipment got stolen...so i go to buy a new face mask...i bought a diamond lightweight...my problem is no matter how i try..even slowly and with 2 hands....my hat comes off every time i take it off...is it the harness...anyone have this problem or know how to resolve it....
hmm. now how does your equipment get stolen?

Last edited by LLPA13UmpDan; Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 06:47pm.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Happened to me in the minors. Overnight in the hotel parking lot...someone knocked out the windows to the car...bye-bye everything. At least it wasn't my car (and CD player).
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 04:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
hmm. now how does your eduipment [sic] get stolen?
Dude, equipment gets stolen all the time. I have had partners that have had their vehicles broken into, and all of their gear stolen. I had my gear in a reputable (supposedly) storage facility, complete with sturdy padlock and 24 hour video surveillance. I arrived one day to find a different padlock on the door, and most of my valuables stolen, including all of my umpire gear.

To answer the question, clips2, loosen your harness until the mask just hangs on the bill of your hat. It should be really loose, not tight like a catcher wears it.

Also, if the harness has a "Y" in it, cut out those two "Y" sections, leaving just the center strap and the band going around. More like a "T". This will eliminate the tendency of the strap to grab your hat.

The strap is just there to keep your mask from falling completely off, not to fit snugly on your head.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

stolen

how else does something get stolen dumb ***...someone comes into your garage and takes tools and a bag with my equipment in it...
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

anyways

since one guy has never had anything stolen in his life...must live in the weeds...back to my question,,,it seams like the harness on the diamond pro is really kind of lousy...any suggestions...it really does not even fit correctly on the hat..the 2 side straps sit up high
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

In April 1968, all our team's equipment—bats, balls, catcher's equipment, helmets, etc.—was stolen during the night from our cars, which were broken into right outside our sleeping quarters at Duke University. We finished the trip with equipment borrowed from the Duke athletic department.

The case remained unsolved for almost 40 years, but now I hear that the Durham District Attorney plans to charge three hooligans named Seligmann, Finnerty, and Evans with the crime. These guys' high-priced lawyers have come up with a cock and bull story that the three hadn't yet been born at the time of the theft, but the D.A. says he has a witness and promises justice.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
since one guy has never had anything stolen in his life...must live in the weeds...back to my question,,,it seams like the harness on the diamond pro is really kind of lousy...any suggestions...it really does not even fit correctly on the hat..the 2 side straps sit up high

Have you tried using a different harness? I know that when I got the AUL300 from +POS it came with a terribly cheap harness that had little adjustment to it. I ordered a larger replacement harness and it worked just fine.

Tim.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
Happened to me in the minors. Overnight in the hotel parking lot...someone knocked out the windows to the car...bye-bye everything. At least it wasn't my car (and CD player).
Hmm, i dont know about you, but i keep my equipment in the trunk.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
In April 1968, all our team's equipment—bats, balls, catcher's equipment, helmets, etc.—was stolen during the night from our cars, which were broken into right outside our sleeping quarters at Duke University. We finished the trip with equipment borrowed from the Duke athletic department.

The case remained unsolved for almost 40 years, but now I hear that the Durham District Attorney plans to charge three hooligans named Seligmann, Finnerty, and Evans with the crime. These guys' high-priced lawyers have come up with a cock and bull story that the three hadn't yet been born at the time of the theft, but the D.A. says he has a witness and promises justice.
That's funny for anyone following the Duke lacrosse case. And the DA actually got re-elected in the fall. Gotta love those voters...

Your theft case will likely drag on for a number of years until the next election and after he is re-elected again the case will be dropped. Of course that assumes he is not dis-barred for his work on this case.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
Hmm, i dont know about you, but i keep my equipment in the trunk.
Even in the middle of winter?
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
Even in the middle of winter?
Only for baseball season. otherwise it gets inside
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule

LOL! On this one we're on the same page.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 10:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
If a harness was meant to be made into a "T" they would make them like that........
Again, a pro school umpire had me cut the two ridiculous, unnecessary straps on my mask harness, which made the harness so much better.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 08:34am.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 10:42pm

Quote:
The 2 side straps sit up high because they are unnecessary, as I have pointed out.