The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Advice for New Umpires

Hello,
This winter I am creating guidelines (tips, do's and don't's, etc.) for the new umpires in our association. I would appreciate if you could share bits of advice or past experiences that made you a better umpire/official.

Thank you,
Mad City Ref
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Always look your best! Shined shoes (and appropriate shoes!), clean shirt, ironed pants that are for umpires (no, Dockers are NOT made for baseball umpires!!! ), clean ball bag, right colored T-shirt, CLEAN HAT! Wear the UNIFORM properly. Keep your shirt tucked in. Make your hat look smart on you, not like Gomer Pile! Make sure the pants are hemmed properly (1" break...this is why combo pants are a HORRIBLE idea! Your plate shoes will cause your pants to break higher than base shoes will, thus, you need to have them tailored differently).

Don't stand around looking like a underwear model. You know, that lazy stance where you have your hip cocked out to the side, and you look like you are "chillin'". This is a HORRIBLE look!!! Keep your big fat noggin' squarly between your shoulders at all time, and keep your weight balanced. It makes you appear to be ready and alert at all times (as you should be). Don't slouch. Hustle to every position, including when you go to brush off the plate after a pitchers warmup. A few "trots" to the plate looks like you are hustling, and really does help keep your head in the game.

YOU WILL BE JUDGED MORE BASED UPON YOUR APPEARANCE THAN ANYTHING ELSE!

Last edited by pdxblue; Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 01:51am.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Hey all,

I agree with PDX, you only get one chance to make a good first impression. You also have to back that look up by knowing the correct terminology, the appropriate rules for the level/league that you are calling in, and know your rotations/responsibilities when you are working with a partner.

LomUmp
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
Hello,
This winter I am creating guidelines (tips, do's and don't's, etc.) for the new umpires in our association. I would appreciate if you could share bits of advice or past experiences that made you a better umpire/official.

Thank you,
Mad City Ref
Here's a few of the things that quickly come to find.

Rule knowledge & application -- knowing the rules isn't enough, you need to know how to apply them.

Consistency -- be consistent with your calls (i.g., strike zone)

Hustle -- always hustle

Positioning -- hustle to get into the proper position to make your calls.

Get the call right -- always strive to get the call right.

Communication -- communicate with your partner (verbally & hand signals)

Timing -- watch your timing. Don't make calls too fast, give them time to settle. Remember, it ain't nothing until you call it.

Appearance -- look like a professional. Proper & neat uniform.

Conditioning -- you can't hustle properly if you're not in good condition.

Handling situations -- learn how to deal with coaches & players.

Always know where the ball is & who has it -- never, ever, lose the sight of the ball. Know where it is & who has it, especially if it's still live.

Game Management -- learn how to control your game. Keep it moving so that you can get your 9-innings (or whatever) in and go home. You need good game management to get the most innings in even if your games have a time limit.

Mechanics -- you need to know the proper mechanics.

Have fun -- unless you're making $90k+ per year umpiring you're probably not in it for the money so remember to relax and have fun.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Keep a journal, especially for the first 10 years or so. Make note of every unusual situation, what you ruled, what you discussed with your partner in the post game, and what you found in looking applicable rule & rulings up later on. Review this journal before games. You'll find this really helps to prevent ,aking the same mistakes a second time.

This goes along with looking the part with a good fitting uniform, shined shoes, ... It also goes along with studying rules & mechanics. Find a mentor and pick his brain. (In my case, that'd be simple - old hippie only has 2 brain cells left)

While I am primarily a softball umpire, this goes for new officials in both games - if not for every game that folks officiate.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Never miss an opportunity to learn something.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

LISTEN.

Listen to older umpires' suggestions

Listen to your partner - your assignor should be pairing you up with someone he or she trusts your first few times out

Listen to your evaluator after the game

And LISTEN to the coaches and spectators. It IS possible you missed something. If so, remember what caused you to be out of position, or to lose attention (it happens), or to make a call you thought was right but not might have been. A lot of the posters here have a "I'm the ump, they're just rats" attitude but good coaches, and knowledgable fans, have quite possibly seen and played far more baseball than you have.

Most importantly, LISTEN to the advice of the respected members here. You'll quickly be able to determine who those are.

Have fun. Good luck.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2006, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

After listening ... or observing verify what has been shared with you in the rule books, case books, umpires manuels etc.
Plenty of faulty information gets passed on. The person sharing it believes it, but doesn't mean its right ..... no matter how long a person has umpired. Sometimes you can get everyone to agree and guess what ..... wrong
Old Sat Dec 09, 2006, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hello,
This winter I am creating guidelines (tips, do's and don't's, etc.)
Don't suck
Old Sat Dec 09, 2006, 08:54pm
Veteran College Umpire

I've been at it a few years, and I've put together a list of things umpires should be aware of in order to be better umpires and move on up the ladder. Here's that list:

1. Head out to home plate and the mound with head up and with
determination.

2. If a catcher asks for help on a check swing, NEVER refuse.

3. When a relief pitcher comes in and is warming up, and you are the base umpire, walk behind first base to see where that free leg and foot are in relation to the plane of the rubber. It won't change when you're in the middle of the infield and you'll know when he does something differently.

4. If the team in the first base dugout is giving you static after a play, stand on the third base line between innings for a while.

5. If you are the base umpire, don't talk much to any players or coaches, even when a relief pitcher is warming up, unless you have something to say relative to the game.

6. Record all changes on your lineup card, even in a blowout.

7. Count warm-up pitches and don't allow excess ones unless the situation merits it.

8. Notice which foot a pitcher steps off the rubber with when nobody is on base - chances are he'll do it with the same foot when runners are on.

9. Clean your shoes. Polish them, too.

10. Get clean matching ball bags and pants that fit.

11. Buy a new fitted hat at least every two years. Shirts, too.

12. Make frequent eye contact with your partner, especially when runners are on base, and acknowledge hand signs.

13. Someone else keep an indicator and use it with runners on base.

14. As the plate umpire, flash the count regularly with runners on base.

15. Ask other umpires why they do the things they do, and ask for critique of your own work from umpires you respect.

16. Discuss odd plays every chance you get, and dig for the answers in
as many sources as you can - don't quit looking for an answer just because you find one.

17. Never stop learning how to umpire. Don't be satisfied with your
performance.

18. Take a lawn chair and a carpet square in your trunk, and a water jug will save your life.

19. Take the appropriate rulebook to the game site, but leave it in the car or locker room.

20. Always volunteer to do the plate when you work with someone for the
first time - you have more control there.

21. Join some professional organizations. Attend their meetings and read their literature.

22. Go to a school or camp. More than once.

23. In the last inning, if the catchers have been working hard, tell them, “You’ve done a nice job today”. They appreciate the compliment. Don’t carry on a running conversation throughout the game.

24. Don’t be afraid to admit you missed a pitch.

25. Work hard to keep people IN the game. Be a good listener.

26. Don’t get caught up in the game – you have a job to do that does not involve emotion. Coaches argue – we don’t.

27. When a hitter steps up to the plate, look at his hands. If his fingers extend off the end of the knob, odds are you’ll have a better chance of knowing if that “up and in” pitch hit the knob of the bat or his hand. If it hit the hand, he’ll be in pain. If his fingers extend off the knob it can’t hit the knob.

3-MAN and more -

Any time there’s a runner at first, there should be an umpire at first.

Base umps - stay in short right and left between innings.

Don’t chit-chat with players or coaches, and don’t visit with your partners unless necessary.

When a runner scores, DON’T point at home plate to acknowledge it.

With runners on base, after a foul ball or timeout, remember to point the ball back in play. Partners look for this, because it will affect pickoffs and balks.

When at first base with a runner being held there, stay up on the line.

Remember to talk during that first-to-third play.

When the plate guy is writing down lineup changes, base umps count warmup pitches and make sure the next batter stays in his own warmup area on his own side of the field. He may visit with a base coach, but it must be well away from home plate, and when that visit is over he must go back to his own warmup area.

Anytime you call “Time”, make sure your partners know!!

If there’s a runner on first and a pop foul outside of first, the first base umpire should go with the ball/catch. The guy in the middle should drift toward first for a snap throw there, and also be ready to take that runner to second if he tags up.

With nobody on base, it the third base ump goes out, the first base ump has the batter-runner all the way to third.

If there’s a runner of third and the first base ump goes out, the third base ump has to book it to first to watch the touch by the batter-runner, and take a throwback there.

If there’s a runner on third and the third base umpire goes out, the first base ump has to book it into the infield to take not only the batter-runner, but a throwback to third if that runner retreats.

When you’re in the middle don’t spend time between pitches looking where the fielders and runners are - keep your eye on the ball and the pitcher.

On a ground ball to second or first, first base ump should try to stay in fair territory - don’t get “pushed” into foul ground. If you go in foul ground and the pitcher covers, you may not see him hit the inside part of the bag with his foot.

That's the list. You may or may not agree with it or parts of it, but that's the fun of learning to be an umpire - "consider the source" is one of my rules of thumb. You can learn something from everyone you umpire with - even if it's something you DON'T want to do.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2006, 09:49pm
M.A.S.H.

Well, a veteran official around here has always told me before a game: "Don't fu** up." I try to take that on out on the field and court.

No, listen to every piece of advice you can get. There are a lot of good umpires (or other officials) who have been there and want to help. Find someone you can look up to and watch them work. Hopefully, someone in your group will take a liking to you and take you under their wing and help out.

Best of luck.
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Mechanics 101

Understand the real estate motto about location, location, location. An umpire's instincts rely on mechanics. Realize good mechanics boil down to 1) a good angle, 2) a motionless "lens" and 3) an appropriate distance. Work on movement and mechanics to find yourself in the right position. Think about what happened between half innnings and how you reacted to those plays. What could you have done to improve that performance? Then get together with your partner after the game to discuss coverages or questions you may have thought about during the game.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you,
Mad City Ref
In order to get a TRUE list we need add'l info such as the following?

Are you an assignor?
What type of Umpire association due you refer to (ie; a HS asociation summer ball only, LL etc.)
Do your umpires get paid? If so are they paid market rates

RE:

You have had responses that say Rule knowledge which obviously umpires need to know however, which rules govern your clients? meaning FED based, OBR/ NCAA or a mixture.

The answer to the aforementioned will govern how you run your rules clinic.

Also, if you want umpires to "look good" then they should get paid so that they can afford what's needed.

Another if not one of the most important aspects about umpiring is "reliability" meaning you do not want your umpires calling the assignor the "last minute" to cancel an assignment unless it is unavoidable.

Arrive at the game site at least 1/2 before time.

Have either a web-site or a list of how to get to all the game sites. In my HS association we have a Web-site with directions to all the schools we service.

DO NOT Back - stab one another.

Whether you are assigned the Plate or base make certain you have proper attire for either. That's why it is important for the umpires to show up at least 1/2 hour before game time. It takes time to get dressed especially when doing the plate.

Instruct your umpires not to hang around when the game is Over. If you have the dish instruct them to simply drop whatever baseballs you have left at home plate or toss them over to the home coach. Greet your partner and head for your cars TOGETHER. if a coach / player wants to shake your hand fine, but do not habg around and do not expect any kuddos either.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

My guide will be written in no time. And I'll take all the credit.

Thank for the help. I'll use your suggestions as starting points for our discussions, and the aforementioned guide.

Look good and don't suck. Isn't it interesting you need have the experience to understand such a simple yet complex sentence?

MCR
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Wow! I would be scared to death if I got all this feedback. For a new umpire I would suggest the following.

1. Get an indicator. Put it in your left hand and get used to how it operates. Practice till you can use it without looking at it.

2. Get a mask and a base hat. Practice putting the mask on and taking the mask off, with your left hand, without the hat coming off, while holding the indicator (see 1). Practice till you can do it without thinking about it.

3. Stand two feet from a door. Practice raising your right fist and beating on the door. Then stand away from the door and do the same thing. You will need this for calling stikes and outs.

4. Stand two feet from a door. Cross your arms in front and then sweep them in front until they are at yours side 180 degrees apart, without touching the door. Then stand away from the door and do the same thing. You will need this on the bases and behind the plate from time to time.

5. Get a good firm plate stance and do not move when the pitch is coming. GD is excellent for this and I wouldn't hesitate to teach a new umpire.

6. Get some decent equipment and clothes. However, if you look like a dork calling balls and strikes and outs and safes nice looking clothes ain't gonna help much.

7. Oh, get a rulebook for the level you will be calling and read it.