The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Add to DG's list

DG's list provides great info for newump.

Also add plate conference and pre-game coverage instructions.
I adapted some info that GarthB provided us last year.
Perhaps someone knows where the thread went.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mills
Do not even read, let alone heed, the opinions or advice found on internet bulletin boards that is given by umpires whose true identities are not readily available.

You will occasionally miss out on some good advice, but that will be outweighed a hundredfold by the garbage you bypass.
You've obviously placed yourself on that list along with us other umpires to ignore. After all, who is Jim Mills? Is that really your name? Where do you live? What is your story? What is your address & phone number? Where do you work? Why won't you tell us? How can we verify that you are indeed "the" Jim Mills? How can we accept your advice when your "true" identity is unknown?

My real name is Allan Edwards and now that makes my advice as good as yours, is that right Jim Mills?
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 08:48pm

Quote:
Do not even read, let alone heed, the opinions or advice found on internet bulletin boards that is given by umpires whose true identities are not readily available.
That would include this post then. Everyone, please disregard this advice.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
hi, i'm bobby. not.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yeah! Damn straight! Couldnt say it better! You da man!

....errrrrrrrrrr.......
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hmmm...

IIRC, the thread solicited opinions on advice for NEW umpires.

For them, I stand by the post. Most (not all) good advice is provided on the bulletin boards by those whose identities are transparent. Most (not all) bad advice is submitted by those whose identities are hidden. Experienced umpires are generally discriminating enough to tell the difference regardless.

New umpires are far better served depending solely upon the training and education to be had at clinics and local association meetings.
Jim,

I think many of us know what you meant, and agree. Over time, newer posters will learn who can be trusted and who can't.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 01:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
Hello,
This winter I am creating guidelines (tips, do's and don't's, etc.) for the new umpires in our association. I would appreciate if you could share bits of advice or past experiences that made you a better umpire/official.

Thank you,
Mad City Ref
Quote:
New umpires are far better served depending solely upon the training and education to be had at clinics and local association meetings.
I believe that Mad City Ref is putting together some guidelines (tips, do's and don'ts, etc.) for the new umpires in his association. He actually asked us for our advice or past experiences in order to put these guidelines together. I am quite sure also, that he will be able to glean all the good information he has received, and discard any ridiculously bad advice he has received.

We're not all a bunch of rubes here. Most of us, whether anonymous or not, have many years of experience, and have valuable advice to give for new umpires. We often know quite a bit more about umpiring than the so-called clinicians do. In fact, many of us have served, or are currently serving, as instructors at clinics. Many of these people don't post with their real names, not to hide their inadequacies, but merely to protect their identities.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
Hello,
This winter I am creating guidelines (tips, do's and don't's, etc.) for the new umpires in our association. I would appreciate if you could share bits of advice or past experiences that made you a better umpire/official.

Thank you,
Mad City Ref

There was a list of top 10 Dont's for the PU and BU written by Tim_C a while back. Here it is:

Ten Things a Base Umpire Should Not Do:

1- Wear a Ball Bag: Leave that to those poorly trained Little League guys. There is no possible need for the bag, or a towel, or a brush. Nothing says “rookie” like a ball bag on the BU.

2- Brush off the Pitcher’s Plate between innings: Again, everyone KNOWS where the pitcher’s plate is. It does not, contrary to some opinions, help you with calling balks and it cries out, “Rookie”.

3- Dust off bases: Again, bases are from 4” to 6” tall and everyone knows where they are. If an infielder wants them dusted off they will do it themselves – let the players take care of this issue. (Special Note: Please feel free to use a “foot dust” of a base if you either have a player with a little injury to delay the action while he catches his breath or when the infielder and runner have “energy” towards each other that will allow you to stand between them as things quiet down.)

4- Be anywhere near the pitcher’s mound during a conference or a change of pitcher: Your position during either a pitching conference or a change of pitcher is at the cut-out at second base. If you are going to be in “B” stand on the second base side of the cut-out, if you are going to be in “C” stand on the third base side. DO NOT GO NEAR THE MOUND!

5- Tell the relief pitcher where the runners are, how many outs or anything else before the ball becomes live: This is not your job. Simply return to your next position. Let the coaches and other players tell the pitcher the situation. Again, nothing says “Rookie” louder than telling the pitcher, “Runners on first and second, one out, and the shortstop just made two errors.” Let the defensive team bring the pitcher up to speed.

6- Come in to the PU to talk between innings unless he has requested you to come in OR there is a pre-set plan of when a visit is appropriate: Understand that your partner has plenty to do. You are far better off to head to the outfield and think about your own issues. Review plays in your head, think about line drive coverage’s, etc. Let the umpire gather his piece-of-mind and get his stuff together. IF your partner wants to talk have a pre-arranged signal that brings you in at the next half inning to discuss whatever he needs to discuss.

7- WALK from position “A” to position “B” when a batter either walks or is hit by a pitch. Make it a personal goal that you are going to get to “B” before the BR gets to first base on either the HBP or the BB. This means you will have to run . . . it is an option that we have.

8- Fail to understand that the “Magic Spot” behind the pitcher’s mound is the perfect spot to be when a ball is hit to the outfield with multiple runners. Far too many times we see umpires running all around the infield following the ball. Remember that nothing happens until there is a ball, a runner and a potential play. Get set behind the mound and let the ball take you to the next play.

9- Take your eye off the ball: Keep your eye everlastingly on the ball and glance at runners. It doesn’t take much ability to anticipate when runners are nearing the next base. Watch the ball and glance when the time is right for touches.

10- Carry an indicator (please read this entire section before you want to eat me up): First, do whatever makes you comfortable! If you need to carry the indicator then carry it . . . don’t make this the defining moment in your umpire career. But consider the following: Nothing is funnier than watching the Little League World Series on ABC and seeing after every pitch five umpire heads go down, look at their indicator, then look up again. It reminds me of watching chicken’s feed in the barn yard. Consider this: keep yourself in the game by keeping the count in your head.

Please remember it is not the job of the BU to keep the count. The official count comes from the PU . . . when a player ask me: "What's the count" I always ask the PU to display what he's got.

This seems simple but for me (just another personal experience) I do not rely on the indicator . . . I like keeping in the game by running a count in my mind. For those of us who DON’T carry just think about what my friend Carl Childress has said, “why would anyone NOT want to carry a tool onto the field that makes your job more accurate and therefore better?” Pretty good question.

10 Things a Plate Umpire Should Not Do:

1- Call obvious balls “foul.” Every year at the Little League World Series we see the PU call balls that land deep in the crowd in DBT “FOUL” . . . he is usually helped by at least three BUs that make the same call.

2- Come to the “set” position too late. I see umpires “Slipping and sliding” to their final call position. Remember the “drop” happens quickly and decisively. Get set and hold.

3- Fail to take the time to properly enter all line-up card changes on his card. This is my pet peeve because I am terrible at it. BUT, I have now learned a “new and improved method”. But the issue is important . . . we all could use a little more time in making sure that we have made the proper substitution notations on our card (especially in FEDlandia where re-entry can rear its ugly head).

4- Fail to move out from behind home plate when the ball is in play. Oh My God, I see so many lazy assed umpires that not only fail to take their mask off during plays but never even leave the cut-out to be involved. I really though this issue had been “trained away” until last week when I watched four sets of umpires from my local group and only ONE PU moved out.

5- Stand anywhere but along either the first or third base line between innings. True you sometimes have other small items to take care of but . . . in the MOST GENERAL OF TERMS when waiting between innings stand half way to either first or third base and in foul ground. It is generally accepted that the PU should be in located on the side of the DEFENSIVE dugout during this time.

6- Be too fast to call balls or strikes. We all know that timing makes accuracy ("Timing is the proper use of eyes" Jim Evans) . . . but we all have times when we are just to durn fast in making the call. Now don’t fall for people who speak about FAKE TIMING . . . i.e. “Well, once the ball comes in I chew my gum three times and then say ‘STRIKE’!” That is fake timing. I tell you, IF you track the ball into the glove (all the way) and hear the sound of it hitting, IF you then make up your mind on the quality of the pitch, and THEN you signal and verbalize you will have perfect timing. You don’t need false aids to do it correctly.

7- Dust the plate after someone in the crowd yells, “Hey Blue, where’s the plate, dust it off!”

8- Forget that as PU you OWN the pitcher and the catcher. It is your job to control those two people and those two positions. Be clear in your pre-game conference with your BU that you will control the length of conferences on the mound, you will control any negative feed back from wither of these two positions and that you control the pace of the game. DO TELL YOUR PARTNER that you would appreciate that he keep a count of warm up throws by a relief pitcher and simply signal the count to you by holding fingers near his thigh. Make it clear to your partner that he is, in no way, to tell a relief pitcher outs, situations or anything.

9- Fail to signal. You can use all the verbal and physical signals you want. (Remember there are a few that are really important and some that just add to the confusion). Signals along the lines of coverage: “I got third” or “I am staying home!” are only half the equation. You also need VERBAL signals as play is on to make sure that everything is covered. I just hate to work with “Silent Sam” who often is exactly where he is supposed to be but has never let you know. It is, “unsettling.”

10- Fail to remember that when your partner is in “B” with R1 and there is a bunt up the first base line that you may need to follow the play a little longer than average. The reason we encourage for the base umpire to make both calls in the infield when there is a second play at third base is so that the PU can follow the ball up the first base line farther than normal. He can make the fair/foul call, watch for any type interference/obstruction and can make a simple tag play call when the BU is trapped out at “B”. It is becoming more evident that using the PU to make the “second call in the infield” while seemingly efficient can only be done part of the time. If you use “part time” mechanics they will fail when most important.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Trust, A Rather Extreme Qualifier!

What's in your wallet?

I predict that NEWUMP will NOT make any money his first season if he attends a clinic, joins a local high school association, buys an appropriate amount of umpire clothing, and also buys top of the line protective equipment. Success will not be measured in CASH.

I suggest that MadCityRef buy the 2007 BRD by Carl Childress and explain how NEWUMP will want to have a copy of the "BiRD" for himself. I predict NEWUMP has never heard of the "BiRD or J/R" or other valuable material. I predict that copies will not be available for sale at either of those clinics or the local associations meetings. Success will NOT be measured by clinics or association meetings attended.

Success, character and heart will be measured on the ballfield. I do wish him luck and look forward to another great baseball season.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Well

Thanks for posting my lists . . . thay get comments whenever they are talked about.

BTW these will be, in a more well written form, in the Oregon High School Baseball Umpire Training Manual that I am currently drafting.

Best of the Holidays to all,

Regards,
Old Sat Dec 23, 2006, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Thanks for posting my lists . . . thay get comments whenever they are talked about.

BTW these will be, in a more well written form, in the Oregon High School Baseball Umpire Training Manual that I am currently drafting.

Best of the Holidays to all,

Regards,
How would someone far from Oregon obtain one?