The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Aluminum vs. Wood

As we discuss safety and throat guards, etc., there is a growing movement under way to get rid of alumminum bats. I would like to know if anyone in your "neck of the woods" has begun to discuss this issue.
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

A low probability event

OK, it's not umpire stuff... but we are post season:-)

I think the Al bat is now a fixture of the game, and I'm sure some would say it's the reason there is so much 'pee wee' ball. I think what you will see (are seeing) will be adjustments to the game. Little League has set a BPF of I think 1.15 on their bats. Calvin Ball now has an option for their Majors to play on a 50/70 field (Pony has had this for a while.) When the age for player eligibility again get rolled back putting bigger 12 y/os on the field I'm sure you see more towns pushing these types of changes, especially the BPF, since there's a limit on upsizing the field.

SD

ps. If you really want to get nervous, check out some of the composite bats (barrel not handle) that are used in softball. They rebound like Ti.
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

I've hated aluminum bats since the first time I worked the plate where they were being used. I was punchy from the "ping, ping, ping", thoughout the game, and went home with a headache.

Bob
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
As we discuss safety and throat guards, etc., there is a growing movement under way to get rid of alumminum bats. I would like to know if anyone in your "neck of the woods" has begun to discuss this issue.
Some areas in IL will apparently be experimenting (and gathering data on offense, safety, cost) with wood bats for HS ball next year
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Central Massachusetts attempted to institute a use of wood bats just for the post-season of 2004.

They withdrew the rule before the playoffs began.

BTW, I did three games that year where one team was using aluminum bats exclusively and the other team used wood bats exclusively (as a prep for the playoffs).

The aggregate score was: Aluminum 33, Wood 2.

"I never called a balk in my life. I didn't understand the rule" - Ron Luciano
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Truthfully, we do not have to get rid of aluminum bats at all. The bat manufacturers can create aluminum bats with the same rebound qualities and weight of a wood bat, but choose not to. You could have the same durability of aluminum and the performance of wood. Of course, if they did that, the kids wouldn't want the newest, hottest bat every year.
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Some areas in IL will apparently be experimenting (and gathering data on offense, safety, cost) with wood bats for HS ball next year
bob,
do you know what areas that experiment may be taking place in? any of the conferences or individual schools that our group handles?
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
bob,
do you know what areas that experiment may be taking place in? any of the conferences or individual schools that our group handles?
The Daily Herald had an article a while ago -- it listed two conferences I was not familiar with.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

I remember that article, Bob, and IIRC, it seemed that the IHSA emphasized they're not going to do away with aluminum bats, the controversy/discussions notwithstanding.

Regardless, I'm a purist. There is perhaps no greater sound than the crack of a bat against the ball. Give me wood any day of the week (hmmm...that sounds rather risque, doesn't it?)!
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 01:24pm
Broadcaster

Apologies if this was posted on this board already.

New Jersey is considering it.

"New Jersey lawmakers last Thursday began considering making the state the first to completely ban metal bats from youth sports.

Though Assembly lawmakers released the bill from committee, clearing it for a possible vote by the full house, it’s a long way from becoming law. Little League officials and bat manufacturers oppose it."
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Now why would Little League, who is often criticized for going "overboard" regarding safety rules, be opposed to banning aluminum bats? Does Easton give $$$ to L.L.? Just wondering.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
Now why would Little League, who is often criticized for going "overboard" regarding safety rules, be opposed to banning aluminum bats? Does Easton give $$$ to L.L.? Just wondering.
Do Bears popo in the woods?
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not a spokesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
I don't speak for LL, but I can speculate:
  • Little League is a national organization. Having one set of rules in one state would be more difficult to adminster, especially in playoffs.
  • LL already addresses the safety issue with specific guidelines for LL bats, and may feel that the cost/safety tradeoff has already been optimized.
  • I'm pretty sure that ESPN provides more money to LL than any other corporation. I can't remember if equipment companies sponsor the games on ESPN, but any activity that diminishes the commercial value of the LL WS might be an issue. (This is why I'm not a whole-hearted supporter of the current version of the LL WS.)
  • I sure got the impression that the LL WS helmets were all supplied by one manufactorer, but I would guess that each team brought their own (usually individually owned) bats.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg
Apologies if this was posted on this board already.

New Jersey is considering it.

"New Jersey lawmakers last Thursday began considering making the state the first to completely ban metal bats from youth sports.

Though Assembly lawmakers released the bill from committee, clearing it for a possible vote by the full house, it’s a long way from becoming law. Little League officials and bat manufacturers oppose it."
glad to see LL is doing something right NJ expects kids even such as 5-6 year olds to swing a wood bat? They are heavier then metal.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 07:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
glad to see LL is doing something right NJ expects kids even such as 5-6 year olds to swing a wood bat? They are heavier then metal.
I'm sorry guys, please allow me:

Dan,

What are you talking about?

Don't you think that there are lightweight wood bats, and very heavy aluminum bats? Bats come in all lengths, weights, and barrel tapers. When I was 5 or 6, I swung a wood bat, because that's what we had then. And it was made for little 5 year old kids. Nice and light.

Which weighs more Dan, a ton of steel, or a ton of feathers?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Closed Thread