The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Angle/Distance

I have been trying without much success to determine what the NCAA has to say about the following question: "What is the correct distance to take your play at first base when you are in the A position on a ground ball to the infield?"

I have found the distance that the National Federation of High School Sports states for Baseball in a number of their manuals that they have published over the years. They state it should be 15-18 feet.

The PBUC Manual for the 2-Umpire System states it should be 15-20 feet as published in the 2000-2006 Copyrighted edition.

At Jim Evans Academy of Professional Umpiring we were taught that it is 15-18 feet.

In the CCA umpire manuals for the past 4 years, it is stated "U1 moves into the best position to rule on plays at first base." Is there a reason why the NCAA does not have anything more specific than this. There manual does not include anything on angle either.

Most manuals do mention the angle should be 90-degrees from the origin of the throw if the ball is hit to the left side of the diamond. On balls to the right side of the diamond the angle should be the largest angle possible and still remain in fair territory. This means about 1-2 steps off the foul line. This means on balls to the shortstop up the middle, the 2nd baseman and the 1st baseman unless the base umpire feels pressure from the 2nd baseman. If there is pressure, the base umpire should go foul and make sure he does not let the base interfere with his vision of the pitcher or any fielder's foot as it touches 1st base. Again, looking for the largest angle possible for the play.

Please do not bring in the 3 or 4 umpire system into this discussion. I am only concerned with the 2-umpire system. I believe the distance is critical in case of an overthrow in the 2-umpire system. For instance, if someone is at 30 feet from the play and there is an overthrow, how can he expect to get inside the diamond and pivot and beat the batter-runner to 2nd base ahead of any play on him there? Also, if you get too close (10-12 feet as in a tag play), you might lose sight of the big picture on the play and only see a blurred mess in front of you.

So, please help me if anyone knows what the NCAA wants or if there is a reason given for not being more specific?

Thanks to anyone that can help in this quest of mine.

Larry Gallagher
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

In the heat of the moment I don't have any idea what the footage is. 18 feets sounds about right, but if it's 16 or 20, so what. As long as the angle is good and you are in good position and stationary any distance near 18 feet will be good.

During warmups I move into position on 6-8 throws by the infielders and get my range. After that I don't worry about distance.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
During warmups I move into position on 6-8 throws by the infielders and get my range. After that I don't worry about distance.
So, before the first pitch of the game, you're 'setting up' as if to make a call? This sounds a little strange to me. I was always instructed to position myself in short right field.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Another thing to consider is the amount of time you have to move into position. I typically find a spot in "A" and stand in that exact spot all game, even marking it if necessary. That way a groundball to short, I have pretty much the same amount of time to get to the same spot (with exceptions of course). Consistency...just like the GD system when you've got the dish.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 12:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
So, before the first pitch of the game, you're 'setting up' as if to make a call? This sounds a little strange to me. I was always instructed to position myself in short right field.
I've seen a lot of good umpires practice taking plays at first before the first half-inning.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After the pregame, I jog down to the right field line, do some stretches, then take my position in A as F3 is warming up the infield. I move into position on each throw, focus on the bag and listen for the ball hit the mitt. Different angle for each fielder but about the same distance. About 2 times around the infield and the catcher will throw down and I move to the A and I'm ready. It's a warmup routine I do every game. The first throw I see coming to 1B is never the first play at 1B.

Between innings from then on I am in short right field.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
After the pregame, I jog down to the right field line, do some stretches, then take my position in A as F3 is warming up the infield. I move into position on each throw, focus on the bag and listen for the ball hit the mitt. Different angle for each fielder but about the same distance. About 2 times around the infield and the catcher will throw down and I move to the A and I'm ready. It's a warmup routine I do every game. The first throw I see coming to 1B is never the first play at 1B.

Between innings from then on I am in short right field.
This is all news to me. I have never seen or heard of warming up on the field. As for stretching, I do this in the parking lot or dressing room before taking the field.

Has anyone else heard of this or is my association that out of touch?
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 11:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
This is all news to me. I have never seen or heard of warming up on the field. As for stretching, I do this in the parking lot or dressing room before taking the field.

What does an association have to do with it? If you want to take some throws before the top of the first, DO IT.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Damn blu, does your association tell you when you can scratch?
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Damn blu, does your association tell you when you can scratch?
You misunderstood. There are about 120 umpires in my HS association and who-knows how many in my college group. I work about 150 games a season, and I have never seen or heard of an umpire practicing positioning during warm up throws.

As for stretching, we are told to do that before taking the field. What would happen if I decided to stretch on the field? I don't know, but I just do it in the lot/dressing room for the same reason I always put my right shoe on first... habit.

I guess I just find it curious.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You misunderstood. There are about 120 umpires in my HS association and who-knows how many in my college group. I work about 150 games a season, and I have never seen or heard of an umpire practicing positioning during warm up throws.

As for stretching, we are told to do that before taking the field. What would happen if I decided to stretch on the field? I don't know, but I just do it in the lot/dressing room for the same reason I always put my right shoe on first... habit.

I guess I just find it curious.
No one in any of the associations I work has ever told me how to warm up or where to stretch so I guess it is a regional thing . I know I am not the only one who stretches on the field or takes throws during warmups. No big deal though, do as you see fit, or are told to do.

What are you told to do as PU? Do you take a few pitches behind the plate before the game starts? I usually take warmup pitches 4-7 from behind the catcher.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 05:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
What are you told to do as PU? Do you take a few pitches behind the plate before the game starts? I usually take warmup pitches 4-7 from behind the catcher.
This is exactly the thought I had when reading you original post. I do take some warmup pitches from all pitchers in a game (if possible). I usually ask the catcher to let me see a breaking ball as well...

Maybe I'll give the warmups as BU a try... couldn't hurt I guess.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
I used to watch the pitches, but now I take the opportunity to chat with the catcher, introduce myself, remind him that we both want the outside corner, etc.

Nobody told me to do so.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 11:04am

If there is a pitcher with an unusual delivery, or is a highly touted local pitcher, occasionally I will take a few pitches before the game, usually 2 from each side of the plate.

As far as on the bases prior to the start, I have also occasionally walked in to my angles and practiced watching the throw, and setting up to see the play. Usually though, I just watch the fielders warm up, note their throwing habits, and note the way the first baseman fields the ball.

I have a bad back, so a little stretching down the line before games, and in short right field between innings once in a while is needed to crack my back. I do my leg stretches on the bumper of my car before going to the field.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25