Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Best angle for 3rd base

I am new to softball.
2 Man game. Runners on 1st and 2nd.

Slow Ground ball hit to the pitcher. Pitcher throws to 3rd Base for the force. As the base umpire, what is the best angle to view third. I ran into the infield as soon as the ball was hit. However, my angle was awful and I called the runner safe when she most likely was out. What is the best angle on this play without getting in the way of the runners or fielders.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Assuming fast pitch, you start behind the left shoulder of the shortstop. Using the inside/outside theory, since the ball stayed inside the infield, you stay outside. Once you read the pitcher will throw to third base, move parallel to the baseline, staying outside; even 4-5 steps will bring you an almost 90 degree angle to the throw, and staying outside will keep you from being straight lined on the runner sliding.

Running into the infield will only help in one of the three possible plays; first base. It hurts your angle on a play at third, and may get you hit with the throw if the pitcher throws to second. So, stay outside until you read the throw, then react accordingly. Moving parallel to the base line toward second will help your angle at first base if you lose the time to move closer. Make the call at second from where you started.