The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
It is now trained at higher level clinics that when an infielder, or runner, asks an umpire in "C" to move:

"Hey Blue can you move to your left?"

Is for the umpire to move forwards (that means towards the plate NOT forward towards the pitcher) and that moves the umpire from a direct line between the fielder (runner) and F1.

This new mechanic accomplishes two things:

1) It moves the umpire foward which begins to open the angle to third base and gets him out of a direct line and DOES NOT move him into a disadvantagous position further from the potential play at third and,

2) Hard to believe but, much like the Gerry Davis Stance, the "size" prospective of the umpire also changes. i.e. the umpire appears smaller in your rear view mirror.

Bob, I was very skeptical of this when it was first mentioned to me . . . I now are a firm beleiver in the mechanic.

Regards,
The physics on this is similar to the rising fastball physics ... it don't work.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Hehehe,

I'm sorry it does work. Try it before you throw out the bath water.

The logic is about the move towards the plate . . .even if you do it with "stick figures" on a napkin you'll see that the move towards the plate opens the fielder/runner sight line to F1.

I respect anyone's right to disagree . . . I just am dissappointed when people disagree without trying something first.

Regards,
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Tee,

I've taken the time to draw this up, and i'm not seeing how your method works:

If the umpire (X) would move towards the plate, that would be in the runner's (R) same vision line illustrated in green.

Is my drawing and assumptions accurate? How would moving towards the plate solve the problem?
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Different question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
Tee,

I've taken the time to draw this up, and i'm not seeing how your method works:

[image deleted]

If the umpire (X) would move towards the plate, that would be in the runner's (R) same vision line illustrated in green.

Is my drawing and assumptions accurate? How would moving towards the plate solve the problem?
Tee's mechanic opens up a view of the pitcher to the blocked player. Your diagram makes it clear that you are asking how to open up a view to home plate.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 08:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLeaguer
Tee's mechanic opens up a view of the pitcher to the blocked player. Your diagram makes it clear that you are asking how to open up a view to home plate.
Absolutely. The runner needs to see the pitcher, not the plate. He can and will take a bigger (secondary) lead-off once the pitch is delivered, and will make his own view of the plate, and the position of the umpire will be a moot point.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Boss:

Great drawing (I wish I had your internet skills). . . but it is not what we are talking about . . . HOWEVER, others can use it to uncover "the magic move", by now understanding that we are trying to see the pitcher and not the plate.

So move your runner a little towards third base so the BU is between him and the pitcher . . . now move the BU "forward" (towards the plate) and . . . viola . . . see what we are saying.

Again, thanks for the illustration as all can use it to now discover that what some of us are saying is EXACTLY correct . . . move forward (towards the plate) and the view opens, grasshopper!

Regards,

Last edited by Tim C; Mon Oct 02, 2006 at 09:30pm.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Great drawing (I wish I had your internet skills). . . but it is not what we are talking about . . . HOWEVER, others can use it to uncover "the magic move", by now understanding that we are trying to see the pitcher and not the plate.

So move your runner a little towards third base so the BU is between him and the pitcher . . . now move the BU "forward" (towards the plate) and . . . viola . . . see what we are saying.

Again, thanks for the illustration as all can use it to now discover that what some of us are saying is EXACTLY correct . . . move forward (towards the plate) and the view opens, grasshopper!

Regards,

Ah yes, makes perfect sense now!
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Not exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
The big problem I see with the whole diagram is where the runner is standing to take his lead off. He should be back at least five steps so he can see F6 and F1. He then should start to walk forward slowly as the pitcher makes his stop from the set. It amazes me the number of runners that stand flat footed and in the baseline when they take a lead off second.
Not exactly. The runner only needs to see F4. He has a coach that watches F6 for him. (At least that's the way it is in all the baseball that I've seen or played or umpired)

There is no way a runner is going to be watching F6 or he is easy prey for the pickoff from F4.

The runner then releases toward 3rd as the pitch is made. There are lots of different names - walking lead, etc.,

Thanks
David