View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 17, 2006, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Bossman:

By 2010 ALL Oregon High School Umpires that want to qualify for playoff games must pass this ASEP/OCEP test. The test can be replaced by a certified alternative training process.

I have ordered and taken this certification exam.

I did that because I am the Secretary of the Oregon Athletic Officials Association Baseball Umpire Committee and we set the standards for the State High School Umpires.

On the paid side of this site I wrote an article that talked freely about how dissapointed I was in the "education" and testing.

In your packaet you recieve a manual that takes you through "some" FEDlandia rules. The booklet also takes you through 2, 3, & 4 man mechanics.

You get a neat Little DVD that is interactive. You place runners, outs and then a ball is hit and it shows proper NFHS umpire rotations and positioning.

Oh yeah, you also get an NFHS Rule Book -- no Case Book -- just the rule.

The package, in my opinion, is a waste of money.

When you test there are interactive questions on line. BTW remember it covers NFHS mechanics only and even covers the most wasteful time on 4 man crews. The test is 100 questions and you can "SAVE" any number of questions. I say this so you recognize the test is open book and you can take up to SIX MONTHS to answer all questions.

Because Oregon has, with the approval of the NFHS, adopted CCA mechanics (since we don't use ALL CCA we use what is called "Oregon Modified Mechanics") this protion of the training and testing is totally worthless and we alread take a closed book rules test. Pretty wasteful, huh?

I would not suggest buying this training system.

Regards,