The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

ATPU mechanics

I would suggest that this all-time plate ump may wanna stay put behind the plate. He should worry more about the strike zone and then timing his ball and strike calls. It would be nice if he then passes this info on to the BU after the BU makes his safe or out call on the pick-off or steal attempt.
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Isnt it possible that Little League Dan is a "Charlie" too?
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
No way, just about everything on the bases is the BU's job. Ran into the same thing on the 60' diamond. Im on SS side of second, runner steals. MY job on the bases. I still work with PU's who think that PU should take third. And of course i have to tell them that isnt right on a steal situation. If there were runners on the move or something and i watching 1st & 2nd, then in that situation PU moves up the line.
Dan, you're speaking untruths and gibberish again. "Just about everything on the bases" is NOT solely BU's job; there are a number of situations in which a 2-man crew rotates, giving PU responsibility for base coverage. Depending on the situation, PU may be responsible for plays at 1B, 2B, and 3B.
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

I love calling the runner safe on a close steal play at third as I run up the 3rd base line to get into position, signalling by crossing my arms in a X and then waving them back and forth as I yell "HE'S IN! HE'S IN!", just as my NFHS manual told me to do.

Charlie is Charles, not Smitty.
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 02:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack21
I love calling the runner safe on a close steal play at third as I run up the 3rd base line to get into position, signalling by crossing my arms in a X and then waving them back and forth as I yell "HE'S IN! HE'S IN!", just as my NFHS manual told me to do.

It's another unfunny Lance Cokalinski wanna-be. Beat it, Jack. There's only room for one.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

But .............................

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack21

He's a tad more entertaining than some of the recent posts (and posters).

"I never called a balk in my life. I didn't understand the rule" - Ron Luciano
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
My, my the trolls are everywhere lately. Must be the weather.
Okay, I thought I would figure this out with time... but that didn't happen.

What exactly is a "troll?"
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 06:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
Okay, I thought I would figure this out with time... but that didn't happen.

What exactly is a "troll?"
A troll is someone who only posts to start trouble, instigate stuff, insult people, get people pissed, etc. Then they sit back and laugh at fools like me who get irritated by them. They rarely have anything substantial to offer.

LMan is not a troll, contrary to what was recently written. LMan brings a lot to the table, including a sharp wit, which he disperses evenly and fairly.
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks! Now I get it...

BTW- On a close play steal of second, is it okay to ask your partner if he saw the tag if the assiatant coach comes out and asks me to appeal?
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 06:27pm

Yes, if you play in Sheriff Black Jack's league (Which is the Justice Calvin Ball League, I think).
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
Thanks! Now I get it...

BTW- On a close play steal of second, is it okay to ask your partner if he saw the tag if the assiatant coach comes out and asks me to appeal?
Hey all,

That depend's on if you would be willing to go to the parking lot and tell the A$$istant coach what your partner said after said coach got dumped...why would he be out of the dugout, anyway?

LomUmp
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
Dan, you're speaking untruths and gibberish again. "Just about everything on the bases" is NOT solely BU's job; there are a number of situations in which a 2-man crew rotates, giving PU responsibility for base coverage. Depending on the situation, PU may be responsible for plays at 1B, 2B, and 3B.
Well again, we are talking different levels. We do not go out on fly balls, so PU doesnt make any calls at first or 2nd. I can possibly understand PU calls at 1B, but not 2B.
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 09:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Well again, we are talking different levels. We do not go out on fly balls, so PU doesnt make any calls at first or 2nd. I can possibly understand PU calls at 1B, but not 2B.
You need to be better trained, then.

Even on the small diamond, the base umpire in A can go out. That makes the BR the responsibility of the PU at first, second, third...
Old Tue Sep 05, 2006, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well again, we are talking different levels. We do not go out on fly balls, so PU doesn't make any calls at first or 2nd. I can possibly understand PU calls at 1B, but not 2B.
Seems that LL has changed since the early 1980's. Base umpires went out on trouble balls and the PU took the runners. But lately, LL has allowed the PU's to "grow roots" behind the plate.

Also remember, you're not on a "LL only" forum here so your statements will get challenged and corrected. We try to cover the three rule books out there (and there are only 3) OBR, NCAA and FED. Anything else is derived from one of these as in your case; LL is derived from OBR. Please try and remember that.
Old Wed Sep 06, 2006, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
BU - Always

Nick