The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Coverage of Steal of third (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/28133-coverage-steal-third.html)

blackjack21 Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:43am

Coverage of Steal of third

In the 2 umpire system who has the call at third on a steal play? For years as plate umpire I have sprinted down the 3rd base line and taken the play at third, but the other day I worked with a partner who thought it was his call and he also made the call. Since I was UIC, my call obviously prevailed. Have I been doing this wrong and is it the base umpire's call?

BigUmp56 Mon Sep 04, 2006 01:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackjack21
In the 2 umpire system who has the call at third on a steal play? For years as plate umpire I have sprinted down the 3rd base line and taken the play at third, but the other day I worked with a partner who thought it was his call and he also made the call. Since I was UIC, my call obviously prevailed. Have I been doing this wrong and is it the base umpire's call?

This call belongs to the BU.

Tim.

blackjack21 Mon Sep 04, 2006 01:06am

Doesn't the PU have the better angle on this play?

mrm21711 Mon Sep 04, 2006 01:08am

Quote:

1) How can you possibly think this is correct?

2) Who/where did you get this info from?

SanDiegoSteve Mon Sep 04, 2006 01:10am

Quote:

Doesn't the PU have the better angle on this play?

No, the BU from position C angles in toward home plate as he runs toward the foul line, turns, and is in very good position to call the play. The PU cannot possibly cover enough ground to get close enough, I don't care if it's Marion Jones doing the running.

blackjack21 Mon Sep 04, 2006 01:18am

My assignor Charlie told me that this was the proper mechanic. He went to the Wendelstadt school and almost made it to PBUC. They even recommended that he come back the next year.

BigUmp56 Mon Sep 04, 2006 01:37am

He must be joking with you.

Tim.

JRutledge Mon Sep 04, 2006 01:51am

How is the PU going to get around the batter and the catcher (who is likely throwing the ball) and get this call right?

Whoever told you this must be pulling your leg if they expect the PU to make this call.

Peace

BigUmp56 Mon Sep 04, 2006 02:01am

Good point, Jeff. He'd almost have to take the play from 1BX to avoid interfering with the throw.

Tim.

JRutledge Mon Sep 04, 2006 02:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Good point, Jeff. He'd almost have to take the play from 1BX to avoid interfering with the throw.

Tim.

Even then, he would have been further away than the BU to make that call.

Peace

briancurtin Mon Sep 04, 2006 03:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56
He must be joking with you.

Tim.

i think this guy's joking with us.
he referenced a guy named charlie (this is key), who went to pro-school, almost to PBUC...but would have the PU take a steal at third.

BigUmp56 Mon Sep 04, 2006 05:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin
he referenced a guy named charlie (this is key), who went to pro-school, almost to PBUC...but would have the PU take a steal at third.

Must be April 1st 2006 a little late or April 1st 2007 a little early.

Tim.

LMan Mon Sep 04, 2006 08:03am

My, my the trolls are everywhere lately. Must be the weather.

LLPA13UmpDan Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:44am

No way, just about everything on the bases is the BU's job. Ran into the same thing on the 60' diamond. Im on SS side of second, runner steals. MY job on the bases. I still work with PU's who think that PU should take third. And of course i have to tell them that isnt right on a steal situation. If there were runners on the move or something and i watching 1st & 2nd, then in that situation PU moves up the line.

umpduck11 Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin

I wonder if "charlie" goes by the nickname of "Smitty" .........