Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 11:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Now Kelly Leak is a mid forty washed out nothing. Looks like the movie had some truth to it after all.
Supposedly, this is a recent picture of Jackie Earle Haley, the actor who played Kelly Leak.

http://feltupbyjen.blogspot.com/2005...exclusive.html
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

I have actually wondered if the kid the coach slapped was his own. Would it make any difference in the discussion? Had ESPN not had a microphone in the dugout and camera zoomed in on the team meeting going into the bottom of the 6th none of us would have known this happened. It was not a vicous attack, just a quick slap. The umpires on site probably did not know it happened and if they did they acted appropriately by doing nothing. I believe the coach was reprimanded by LL Baseball and that seems appropriate, but they would also not have known had the cameras and microphones not been on for all to see and hear.
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 11:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
You state that your father would have whooped your behind good and proper parenting would prevent the use of this language in a public setting. So when you use inappropriate language on this forum, your saying the moderators should wash your mouth out with soap and spank your bottom.

I GUESS THIS IS YOUR OXY MORON FOR THE DAY.

Please be gentle with your reply............
I'll be gentle, and I'll type really slow so you can understand. Try to see the difference here:

The language came from a child. Not acceptable.

I am an adult. Acceptable. Not right. Not Godly. But socially acceptable.

My daddy died when I was 18. I don't need you trying to take his place, so kindly shut up. Gentle enough?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
Decaf is probably in order here...you've taken the basic premise of this thread and manipulated it to serve your view.
Reading is fundamental.

I am not the one manipulating the topic. I have merely stripped it down to it's nakedness. Is it appropriate for an grown adult man to slap a 12 year old child across the face?

Simple question.

Others are the ones peforming mental and philosophical gymnastics to justify saying "yes." My reply is much simpler. "No."

A baseball uniform doesn't make it okay. Being a coach doesn't make it okay. Being in a dugout doesn't make it okay. Not approving of the child's language doesn't make it okay. And being in a position of power or authority over the child definately does not make it okay.

A simple question.

Can you answer it without attempting to justif, excuse or explain your answer?

Is it appropriate for a grown man to slap a child of 12 across the face?

Let me show you how one answers a simple yes or no question without babbling about why the answer is correct.

Watch carefully.

No.

Your turn. Yes or no.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 12:13am

No. Filling in space so post goes through.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Could you stop wiggling and answer the question I posed?

What if this happened on a field without a dugout...standing at the bench near the parents and other fans. Do you thinkthe umpires should ignore incidents like this, at this age level, in full view of the public?
Garth,

Well, I didn't mean to "wiggle". And, from a master of the "one hand clapping" post, no less. I don't know whether to be flattered or insulted.

Nonetheless.

If the situation I read about had happened in full view of God & everybody, without cover of a dugout, I STILL don't think it would have been appropriate for the umpires to intervene. For the reasons I stated previously.

If a similar situation were to occur that was more severe, more prolonged, and/or more public I could see the umpires putting a stop to it, ejecting certain parties (like the "slapping coach", for example), etc.

My point is that if it does not affect the conduct of the game, it is not the umpires' responsibility to address. It is the league's. Of course, at a certain point, it is ANY responsible person's responsibility to address. (See Neville Chamberlain, e.g..)

Ultimately, this is a decision each person must make for himself.

In this particular case, if it were up to me, the Coach would no longer be coaching the team. Nor would he be put in jail. The player would still be playing. He might sit all or part of a game. That's how I see it.

JM
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
Garth,

Well, I didn't mean to "wiggle". And, from a master of the "one hand clapping" post, no less. I don't know whether to be flattered or insulted.

Nonetheless.

If the situation I read about had happened in full view of God & everybody, without cover of a dugout, I STILL don't think it would have been appropriate for the umpires to intervene. For the reasons I stated previously.

If a similar situation were to occur that was more severe, more prolonged, and/or more public I could see the umpires putting a stop to it, ejecting certain parties (like the "slapping coach", for example), etc.

My point is that if it does not affect the conduct of the game, it is not the umpires' responsibility to address. It is the league's. Of course, at a certain point, it is ANY responsible person's responsibility to address. (See Neville Chamberlain, e.g..)

Ultimately, this is a decision each person must make for himself.

In this particular case, if it were up to me, the Coach would no longer be coaching the team. Nor would he be put in jail. The player would still be playing. He might sit all or part of a game. That's how I see it.

JM
So I guess this means you can't answer the question.

Last edited by GarthB; Wed Aug 23, 2006 at 12:39am.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 01:22am

I answered the question. No. It was not appropriate.

Is it as big a deal as you make it out to be? Also, no.

Was it an act of violence? No, ociffer Garth.

Was it done out of anger? Don't think so.

Was it done out of shock at what the kid said? Probably.

Was it right? Well of course not.

Did things like this happen regularly to kids who grew up pre 1970's? Absolutely.

Did anyone make a big deal over it back then? Hardly.

Do you think that the coach would like to take it back? I would bet he does.

Do you think that he is sorry he reacted like he did? I'm pretty sure he is.

Is this really important, when we have American troops getting killed every day in Iraq? NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING THE LEAST BIT WORTH DISCUSSING.

In fact, it is so not worth discussing, that I am not going to discuss it further.

You may safely continue ignoring my idiotic posts now.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 02:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Reading is fundamental.

I am not the one manipulating the topic. I have merely stripped it down to it's nakedness. Is it appropriate for an grown adult man to slap a 12 year old child across the face?

Simple question.

Others are the ones peforming mental and philosophical gymnastics to justify saying "yes." My reply is much simpler. "No."
Several of us have already given you the very answer you are seeking. JM gave it to you again...NO, the umpires should not have intervened in this case. That is what we are talking about after all. If they had witnessed the slap then they certainly would be justified in serving as a prosecutorial witness.

Is a grown adult man ever justified in slapping a 12 year old across the face? The simple answer is "It depends on the situation." The slap we were discussing was not enough to even elicit a response from the player's parents.

However, since you want to live in an always and never world, my answer would be "Yes". I can think of several incidents that would warrant an adult hitting a twelve year old...in my "abstract world" kids bring guns to school, sell drugs and spit in the faces of law enforcement. But we should coddle them, right?

Quote:
A baseball uniform doesn't make it okay. Being a coach doesn't make it okay. Being in a dugout doesn't make it okay. Not approving of the child's language doesn't make it okay. And being in a position of power or authority over the child definately does not make it okay.
Sorry Garth, yes it does. But, in the situation we originally were discussing, I agreed with you that the man should probably be prosecuted. I didn't like seeing what happened, but the thread starter simply asked if any of us would eject him. Again...most of us would not.

Quote:
Let me show you how one answers a simple yes or no question without babbling about why the answer is correct.

Watch carefully.

No.

Your turn. Yes or no.
Your condescension is unbecoming...I am disappointed by your belief that we must comply to your demands. Very few things in this world are that simple. I've already told you that the man should be held accountable. However, yes, there are times when an adult should be permitted to discipline a child with physical means. You have stated that you were once in law enforcement, surely you didn't wear blinders on that job. Bad things sometimes call for usually unappealing remedies. I'm sorry that that offends your judgement, but it's nice to know that you are at least dialoguing with me again. A2D and let's get on with it.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 05:25am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Filling in space so post goes through.
Why?
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 05:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Why?
Wasn't as bright as you I suppose.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 05:57am
In Memoriam

Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I answered the question. No. It was not appropriate.

Is it as big a deal as you make it out to be? Also, no.

Was it an act of violence? No, ociffer Garth.

Was it done out of anger? Don't think so.

Was it done out of shock at what the kid said? Probably.

Was it right? Well of course not.

Did things like this happen regularly to kids who grew up pre 1970's? Absolutely.

Did anyone make a big deal over it back then? Hardly.

Do you think that the coach would like to take it back? I would bet he does.

Do you think that he is sorry he reacted like he did? I'm pretty sure he is.

Is this really important, when we have American troops getting killed every day in Iraq? NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING THE LEAST BIT WORTH DISCUSSING.

In fact, it is so not worth discussing, that I am not going to discuss it further.

You may safely continue ignoring my idiotic posts now.
Good Rumsfeld impersonation.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
My vote for the most ignorant, self-serving, intellectually dishonest and childishly immature string of words ever to be seen on the internet.

"But officer, how can you give me this speeding ticket when there are troops dying in Iraq?"

"Gee honey, I know you have a headeache but there are troops dying in Iraq..."

"Sorry boss, can't work overtime time tonight. Don't you realize there are troops dying in Iraq?"

Un. F'ing. Believable.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A simple question.

Can you answer it without attempting to justif, excuse or explain your answer?

Is it appropriate for a grown man to slap a child of 12 across the face?
With the caveat that I didn't see or hear the incident, I'd answer "yes", it's sometimes okay for an adult to slap a child.
Closed Thread