The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Coach slaps Player... (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/27912-coach-slaps-player.html)

tmp44 Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:06pm

Coach slaps Player...

From the huge LL thread....

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajjl22
And one of the players yelling "we need one more F*@$ing run," then the coach slapping the player.

I just heard about this on SportsCenter tonight, but I didn't see it. The coach actually slapped his player?

Leads me to wonder...what, if anything, would any of us as umpires do if we actually saw this? Who here would dump the coach? I wasn't watching the game, but anyone who was, do you know if the umpires there actually saw it happen? At what point in the game did it happen?

SanDiegoSteve Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmp44
I just heard about this on SportsCenter tonight, but I didn't see it. The coach actually slapped his player?

Leads me to wonder...what, if anything, would any of us as umpires do if we actually saw this? Who here would dump the coach? I wasn't watching the game, but anyone who was, do you know if the umpires there actually saw it happen? At what point in the game did it happen?

It was late in the game, in the dugout, the kid dropped the F-bomb, the coach slapped the little potty mouth upside his cheeky little head. Should have gotten a medal, instead got a reprimand, as did the kid. Any further unsportsmanlike conduct from either one of them will result in them getting kicked out of the LL World Series. They're already done anyway, big whoop.

Even with 6 eagle-eyed umpires (no offense to Eagle Eye, who is working the series), they didn't see the altercation, probably due to it happening in the dugout.

JRutledge Tue Aug 22, 2006 04:38am

Quote:

From the huge LL thread....

If you want to go looking for trouble, go right ahead. Chances are I would not be looking directly in the dugout during a game or situations like this. I am not sure I would have seen or heard much of anything.

Peace

WhatWuzThatBlue Tue Aug 22, 2006 06:28am

I'm glad I had my coffee before I saw this jaw dropper.

WHY WOULD YOU THINK EJECTING THE COACH IS YOUR CONCERN?

If you didn't hear or see what happened, you can't act on it. More importantly, this is a league discipline problem, not game management.

The kid swore (I'm not a big fan of it, but I've never melted from it either.)and his coach reacted poorly. You compund the issue and three wrongs are committed.

To put this in easier to understand terms, check out that Blue Jays game. The pitcher and manager punched each other out in the tunnel from the dugout to the locker room. Did you see the umpires get involved? How many ejections were there? I love the line in the paper from the team president. He says that no disciplinary actions will be taken against either guy because it was their problem and they worked it out. :0

Tim C Tue Aug 22, 2006 07:40am

Agreed

WWTB is correct.

Why would ANY umpires even consider involving himself in something in the dugout?

Cripes, work the game you are responsible for . . .

Regards,

ozzy6900 Tue Aug 22, 2006 07:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C
WWTB is correct.

Why would ANY umpires even consider involving himself in something in the dugout?

Cripes, work the game you are responsible for . . .

Regards,

The problem is the inexperienced seem to think that everything needs to be ruled on by the umpires. Of course, when it comes to the game, they are so busy managing everything else that they miss what they are responsible for!

ctblu40 Tue Aug 22, 2006 07:51am

I'm with Tee and WWTB on this as well.

When I work a game, my job is to umpire. I'm not the moral police, nor am I there to give a clinic on parenting skills.

My honest opinion, if kids weren't such strangers to the back of Mom and Dad's hand, they would be more cautious with the lingo they use.

ctblu40 Tue Aug 22, 2006 07:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900
The problem is the inexperienced seem to think that everything needs to be ruled on by the umpires. Of course, when it comes to the game, they are so busy managing everything else that they miss what they are responsible for!

I couldn't agree more!

Peruvian Tue Aug 22, 2006 07:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

Even with 6 eagle-eyed umpires (no offense to Eagle Eye, who is working the series), they didn't see the altercation, probably due to it happening in the dugout.

What happens in the dugout, stays in the dugout. But in a game of this age group, I might be listening or watching.

tmp44 Tue Aug 22, 2006 08:06am

Geez I post a question, go to bed, and get slaughtered while sleeping!! I never, ever said that I would dump the coach. I was asking if anyone would. FOR THE RECORD...I WOULD NOT EJECT THIS COACH! yeesh. The only reason I asked the question in the first place because there was a FED thread on the basketball board that was somewhat along the same lines. But change the situation...coach slaps his player on the mound instead of in the dugout...or what if what happened in the Blue Jays game last night happened on the mound...now what are all of you doing, especially if it's a FED game...

Oh, and Ozzy..I just finished working my 8th year of baseball, so don't lump me into the rookies that you criticize without giving advice on how to improve their game.

Dave Hensley Tue Aug 22, 2006 08:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peruvian
What happens in the dugout, stays in the dugout. But in a game of this age group, I might be listening or watching.

Disagree. If sniping at the umpires is coming from the dugout, and it continues after warning to cease, somebody is leaving the dugout. Usually it's a star.

LMan Tue Aug 22, 2006 09:03am

The video clip of this incident (Profanity and slap) is available through a link at the ABUA site, if anyone is interested.

Jurassic Referee Tue Aug 22, 2006 09:16am

Quote:

The only reason I asked the question in the first place because there was a FED thread on the basketball board that was somewhat along the same lines.

The difference is, I <b>think</b>, that the FED has explicitly instructed basketball officials that they don't want that kinda language coming from the benches. I don't know if the FED baseball rulesmakers have been as explicit also.

This was from a basketball POE in the 2004-05 NFHS rule book:
<i>INAPPROPRITE LANGUAGE- "The committee is worried about inappropriate language by players, bench personnel, coaches, officials and spectators. Each group has a responsibility to the game and to each other to demonstrate civility and citizenship. The team huddle is not a safe haven for bad language. Players are not permitted to 'let off steam' by using profanity, even if it is not directed at an opponent or official. Being angry at oneself is no excuse."</i>

Iow, in basketball, if the officials hear an F-shot anywhere, they're supposed to nail the yapper. Zero tolerance. If it comes from the bench, both the yapper and the head coach also get charged with "T"s. The argument in the basketball thread was whether officials really follow that FED directive or not in real life.

lawump Tue Aug 22, 2006 09:18am

I'm guessing that the umpires in last nights Jays/A's game were laughing hard on the inside when Gibbons and Lily got into their fight. Apparently, one even got a bloody nose.

Why would you want to toss either of them...its great entertainment!

(I'm not suggesting that what's good for MLB is good for youth ball: coaches and players physically fighting is not good in youth ball in any way, shape or form...but on either level I'll let others handle it. (parents, league official or the team GM/President) ).

Rich Tue Aug 22, 2006 09:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900

Yup.

The other night there was a GREAT block of the plate (that sent the runner to the hospital) and the next day a LL mailing list I'm a member of was talking about how it was probably obstruction because the catcher set up in the baseline. What everyone was missing was that the runner was NOWHERE NEAR the plate. To have obstruction you have to have, well, obstruction.

Umpiring is not as hard as it looks. Watch a game, report what happens. Problems happen when umpires get a "gotcha" syndrome and go looking for things they have no business being involved in.