Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 03:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
BTW- Steve,

I'm a younger generation parent of 3 kids. I subscribe to the 'time out' method to a degree. What I mean is when I tell my 12 year old son to stop teasing his younger brother, if he doesn't he gets a time out. But if he is being disrespectful to an adult... let's just say that I've been told that my kids are very respectful...
Okay, but you also employ the rod when appropriate, correct?

I am speaking of these parents that use the "time out" as the only discipline the child receives. And then, their idea of a time out is sending the kid to his room, where the kid has a computer, TV, video games, and all other forms of entertainment imaginable. Where is the punishment?

I could go along with a TO for your son teasing his brother, as long as the TO is in a place that isn't fun. But many parents will do the TO thing for major offenses as well, instead of the good old fashioned butt whoopin' they deserve, because a certain faction in society has deemed it abusive to spank your children. Rubbish and poppycock. Spare the rod and spoil the child has been an axiom in child-rearing since time immemorial, and only since...well not going to start that argument again....has it been considered wrong.

The little biatch slap that kid received can in no way be considered violent, nor abusive. It was a kid getting slapped for being stupid. SOP when I was growing up.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Tue Aug 22, 2006 at 03:43pm.
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Okay, but you also employ the rod when appropriate, correct?
I prefer my hand. It's much quicker than digging the rod outa the crawl space!
Quote:
I am speaking of these parents that use the "time out" as the only discipline the child receives. And then, their idea of a time out is sending the kid to his room, where the kid has a computer, TV, video games, and all other forms of entertainment imaginable. Where is the punishment?
I send my kids to MY room. No fun in there, unless of course... oh well...
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Quote:
The little biatch slap that kid received can in no way be considered violent, nor abusive. It was a kid getting slapped for being stupid. SOP when I was growing up.
I'll bet you got slapped alot when you were growing up.
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 03:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFump
I'll bet you got slapped alot when you were growing up.
No, I actually don't remember being slapped. My dad could remove his belt and apply it directly to my butt in about 1.4 seconds. When I was 16, I thought I was tougher than he was, and challenged him to a fist fight. I lost.

I didn't have too much of a behavior problem, as I learned the difference between right and wrong from strong, loving, Christian parents, who cared enough about me to give me discipline when necessary.

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Tue Aug 22, 2006 at 03:57pm.
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Hahaha,

I am not suire which hurt more:

The actual switch when it hit my butt or the 30 mins I had to spend outside "selecting" the switch that was to be used.

I didn't have too much of a behavior problem, as I learned the difference between right and wrong from strong, loving, agnostic parents, who cared enough about me to give me discipline when necessary.
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Gentlemen:

I deal with discipline issues with children every day. My second period class last year was known school wide as "the class from hell." I have served in the miliatary and was a police officer. I have seen my share of violence committed by adults on children. In my short LE career, I arrested more than a dozen adults for child abuse. I studied child abuse. I learned how it starts...with an adult unable to control his anger who strikes a child and who finds a way to excuse it, usually blaming the child and then getting others, inclduing witnesses to agree with him. Wife abuse follows a similar pattern.

Dispense of it as you will. "It wasn't that hard", "He didn't mean it", "The kid had it coming". I will repeat from an earlier post. There is no excuse for a grown man to slap a 12 year old in the face. None. Nada. Zip. This is not "discipline", this is an uncontrolled angry reaction. What the kid did has no bearing. Whether or not it left a mark has no bearing. This is a grown man unable to control his anger slapping a 12 year old kid in the face, and yes, that IS violvent behavior. That's why I say that. Grown-up are supposed to control their anger. That's part of being grown-up.

I know this, all a 12 year old really learns from being slapped in the face is that it is acceptable for grown adults to lose control and strike children. There are posts in this thread that bear that out. Those condoing this action are the ones saying "I had my face slapped as a kid and I turned out okay". (The hole in that argument is as obvious and huge as the Grand Canyon.) So we see first hand how violence visited on children is often carried on by those children.

Last edited by GarthB; Tue Aug 22, 2006 at 07:50pm.
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C

The actual switch when it hit my butt or the 30 mins I had to spend outside "selecting" the switch that was to be used.

I didn't have too much of a behavior problem, as I learned the difference between right and wrong from strong, loving, agnostic parents, who cared enough about me to give me discipline when necessary.
Tee,

We have similar backgrounds. There is a difference between discipline and a slap across the face.
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 04:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C

I am confused here....should I have left out the word Christian in my post?

I didn't mean to infer that only Christians love their children, or know how to use corporal discipline properly. I was merely narrowing down a discription of my parents. I'm sure Muslim, Jewish (as the Bible referrence is originally from the Torah), Agnostic, Atheist, or people of any other faith can and do use the switch, the rod, the belt, the paddle, or whatever for discipline. It's just not nearly as common these days, no matter what faith the parents happen to be.
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Predictions to locked thread

In 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 posts . . .

Strikes and outs!
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

And to put this train back on track

The question/sitch/hypothetical posed in the original post was something like this:

12 yo kid in dugout drops F-bomb not at anybody in particular. Coach of 12 yo kid slaps kid in face for dropping F-bomb.

Umpire, what, if anything, do you do about it?

Various answers submitted from "Nothing that happens in the dugout is my business", with which I disagree, to "Mobilize the National Guard" with which I also disagree.

My .02

Strikes and outs!
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 04:27pm
In Memoriam

Well, personally, when my kids were bad, I used to put their hands in the toaster. That'll teach the little sh!ts in a hurry.

Worked for me.

Do I really need to attach a smiley?
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
Without getting into all the philosophical debates about child-rearing.

If I see a coach slap a minor player's face we have one less coach for the game. For the majors they can work it out for themselves to a brief extent.

Fortunately we don't see too much violence on the fields here. A little pushing and shoving at times, the rare fight.

I've had to break up one fight this year on a ball-field. One kid was 6-4 and a lineman on the senior high team. I was the only one that got hurt.
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 04:30pm

There is no reason for thread closure. Nobody is arguing over religion here. At least I'm not going to. I have already stopped short of going in that direction in two posts, when I refused to "go there." We are still discussing the coach slapping the player. We have not gone off-topic in any way, so this thread should remain wide open.

We have a difference of opinion as to what constitutes abuse or violence. I say the little slap was a lapse in judgment, not a violent act. Now, if he decked the kid with a right cross, by all means, that is violent, and child abuse as well. What it was was the coach saying, "shut your mouth, boy, you're on National TV." I'm sure as soon as he slapped the kid, he realized it wasn't a good thing. I don't think he "didn't control his anger" as Garth says. He didn't have time to get "angry." It was a knee-jerk reaction of disbelief for what his player just said into a microphone on ESPN. It does not excuse what he did, but it does explain what he did, and he did not do it out of anger.
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

I disagree

Quote:
It does not excuse what he did, but it does explain what he did, and he did not do it out of anger.
He didn't? Do you think he deliberated, considered all the consequences and then said to himself, "the very best thing I can do right now is to slap a 12 year old boy in the face with 10,000 cameras around"?

Strikes and outs!
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Ok,

SDS let me get this straight:

It is just fine for you to identify (that is a non-emotional term meant simply to identify a thought) your parents as being "Christian" (alluding to, if not more, that being a redeaming quailty) but if I used the EXACT same type illustrative adjective I am somehow criticizing your post.

I simple felt that it should be noted that Christians and non-Christians alike can have the same values of bringing up children.

Personally my views of children were best described by W.C. Fields.

Steve, while our differences in umpiring (and life in general) are very obvious I see no reason to engage you in all statements you make.

Regards,
Closed Thread