The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Close play, but on replay looks like he booted it. Question, would you toss the B/R for throwing his helmet afterwards?
In a word... yes!

If a player throws his helmet/glove/bat/hat/sweat bands/jock, whatever, after a close play that's called against his team, he's leaving early. I don't care who he is actually mad at, I just care that it appears to me that it's in protest to the call that was just made.
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

I guess I'm not one who looks for a "reason" to eject players.

You see, that was the pitcher who had a bad inning while on the mound the inning before. Then to get called out on a "close" play. (which the umpire booted). You have to expect a little emotion when a team is playing late in any tournament. He was upset, walking back to dugout. Didn't say a word to the umpire or even look at him.

Maybe this is why I have ejected anyone in 4 years.
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seioaump

You see, that was the pitcher who had a bad inning while on the mound the inning before. Then to get called out on a "close" play. (which the umpire booted). You have to expect a little emotion when a team is playing late in any tournament. He was upset, walking back to dugout. Didn't say a word to the umpire or even look at him.

I don't look for reasons to run players either... but if he throws equipment after a close play that he doesn't like... HE'S GONE! If he holds on until he's in the dugout and off the field, he can blow-up his helmet with dynamite for all I care. It's not the throwing that gets him run, it's the protest.

BTW- "4.06(a) No manager, player, substitute, coach, trainer or batboy shall at any time, whether from the bench, the coach’s box or on the playing field, or elsewhere --
(1) Incite, or try to incite, by word or sign a demonstration by spectators;
PENALTY: The offender shall be removed from the game... "

I have no choice in the matter, the rules state he must be EJ'd.
This is my explaination to his manager.
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by seioaump

I wouldn't consider this 'looking for a reason.' His actions slapped you in the face.
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 11:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Fortunately, U2 did not factor into any important calls.
What was the matter with U2? I didn't notice anything. Why, is he a bad umpire?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
What was the matter with U2? I didn't notice anything. Why, is he a bad umpire?
Actually, I think (correct me if wrong) that U2 was the Hong Kong umpire....anecdotal forum-word was that this umpire missed a fair number of clear calls on the bases in previous games.

I cannot verify this one way or the other, since I saw no close calls at 2B.

puts away the rope for the time being
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 11:58am

I can't keep track of all these umpires. I still haven't seen the woman from Hong Kong, and I've been looking.
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Actually, I think (correct me if wrong) that U2 was the Hong Kong umpire....anecdotal forum-word was that this umpire missed a fair number of clear calls on the bases in previous games.

I cannot verify this one way or the other, since I saw no close calls at 2B.

puts away the rope for the time being
No, she worked the line in LF last night. I am really hoping that she gets a plate game soon. That would be interesting to watch.
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't said anything, anywhere (on any board) about LL umpires this post-season. However, I will say this: Last night's (8/23) plate umpire was the first one during this world series that I thought did a pretty darn good job.

I thought he looked a bit like Randy Marsh with his stance, physical build and signal. (I'm not saying he was Randy Marsh, or is in his league, or anything of that nature). I'm just saying he looked like he knew what he was doing...unlike many, many others.

Which leads me to this:

Bruce Dreckman told our class that in the off-season you have to get in your uniform and look at yourself in a mirror. Look at what you look like when you make a call, and see if you need to change something.

I personally, always watch pro guys (and other college guys) and try to see what they are doing (with mechanics and signals) to see if I might want to try to incorporate something new into my "game".

My question is this: Do some (any?) of these LL guys ever do any of this? I mean, do any of them realize how far away they are from looking and acting like a pro, college or even varsity umpire? Or more simply, from looking and acting like a competent umpire, at any level?

(Like for instance: Where do these U2's learn that when they come into the inside, into the second base cutout, on a single (with no other runners) to go into the hands-on-knees set and stare at second base while R1 is retreating to first. And then they make a big dramatic turn and stare at first base (while the ball is usually now in the pitcher's glove on the mound.) Where, I ask?)

Maybe another way of asking is: Where do they come up with some of their crazy mechanics, since they don't see in on TV or at a pro, college or high school ballpark? Where do they learn this stuff? Where? Where? Where.

If they would just imitate some upper level umpires, they'd get more respect.

FINAL NOTE: This was a purely philosophical and esoteric post...I'll probably never know the answer(s). No replies are needed, but they are welcome.

ARRRGGGHHH.....
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Lawump,

You pretty much nailed it.

1. IMO a huge part of the problem is a lack of quality training. Try to get into the one week class at region - you can't because the same guys are there every year, preventing others from that opportunity. It's supposed to be about training the trainers .....

2. LL mechanics are in a word, bizzare. Why is U2 running away from a trouble ball 50' away to get into the cutout? Why are U1, U2 & U3 all inside that tiny infield at the same time?

3. Until LL changes the WS assignment policy umpire quality is not going to improve. Frankly, I'm surprised that we see as many goodd umpires as we do at the WS level.
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump

I personally, always watch pro guys (and other college guys) and try to see what they are doing (with mechanics and signals) to see if I might want to try to incorporate something new into my "game".

I really think they are so "mechanical" because they don't spend enough time watching upper level umpires work. The setting at second with the play at first is trying to look like (s)he's/ in control of the sitch.

I'm like you in that any game I watch is spent watching the umpires. I see something that I think looks good and I'd like to try it out, I work on it in private until it's seen on the field.

Another one of their problems is being a tad bit nervous.
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 02:32pm

Way to take the bat out of the kid's hands there, Mr. Umpire. That pitch that should have been ball 4 wasn't a strike in any level game. The umpire just wanted to show the big kid who's boss.
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 02:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1
Lawump,

You pretty much nailed it.

1. IMO a huge part of the problem is a lack of quality training. Try to get into the one week class at region - you can't because the same guys are there every year, preventing others from that opportunity. It's supposed to be about training the trainers .....

2. LL mechanics are in a word, bizzare. Why is U2 running away from a trouble ball 50' away to get into the cutout? Why are U1, U2 & U3 all inside that tiny infield at the same time?

3. Until LL changes the WS assignment policy umpire quality is not going to improve. Frankly, I'm surprised that we see as many goodd umpires as we do at the WS level.
I've heard phrases like "well, he retired as a 20 year DA last season, so this year he gets his WS as an umpire."

I fear LL thinks all jobs are interchangable. The person making the hotdogs could umpire, if he just chose to....
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 02:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
The person making the hotdogs could umpire, if he just chose to....
He isn't?
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Way to take the bat out of the kid's hands there, Mr. Umpire. That pitch that should have been ball 4 wasn't a strike in any level game. The umpire just wanted to show the big kid who's boss.
what game is on now?
Closed Thread