The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

One other thing:

I watched a part of the game last night (8/24) on ESPN. There was a real "whacker" at first base...and U1 gave a "whacker" out mechanic that I have never, ever seen before.

I can't even describe it well enough to give it justice. One arm was brought in toward his body, while at the same time one went flying out and over his head.

Again: where would he have gotten such a mechanic? Because, no umpire in the history MLB, PBUC or NCAA (in otherwords, guys you might want to imitate) has ever used such a mechanic...as far as I'm aware of.

Did anyone else see it? Or was I more asleep than I realized, when I "thought" I saw this mechanic?
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 12:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLE EYE
Maybe he didn't look like a "pro" but thats because he isn't a pro. Are you?
I'm not an umpire who works professional baseball, but I am definitely a professional. I get paid to umpire, I look and act professionally, I dress sharply and professionally, and my mechanics, positioning, judgment, timing, and hustle are all professional. I am a professional umpire who works amateur baseball leagues. I am sure that most of the posters on this board look at it the same way. They take pride in a professional appearance.

Some of these umpires at Williamsport do look professional, and have done a fine job. We are just pointing out that the majority of them are not very professional looking, and are doing a less than professional job. And the mechanics being used are absolutely hysterical. We can't help but say something about it, when we see mechanics being used that we would be gigged on evaluations for using, not to mention scorned by our fellow umpires.

Quote:
The truth is that every year there are a few individuals who watch these LL Umpires on national TV and are pi$$ed that it's not them. Your comments wreak of such an individual.
The truth is that nobody here wants to work the Little League World Series. They couldn't afford us for starters. Little League Baseball gets what it pays for.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 12:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
One other thing:

I watched a part of the game last night (8/24) on ESPN. There was a real "whacker" at first base...and U1 gave a "whacker" out mechanic that I have never, ever seen before.

I can't even describe it well enough to give it justice. One arm was brought in toward his body, while at the same time one went flying out and over his head.

Again: where would he have gotten such a mechanic? Because, no umpire in the history MLB, PBUC or NCAA (in otherwords, guys you might want to imitate) has ever used such a mechanic...as far as I'm aware of.

Did anyone else see it? Or was I more asleep than I realized, when I "thought" I saw this mechanic?
I saw it too, you weren't dreaming! I have seen it before, though. I have seen a couple of Smitties do it. It looks dreadful. What you end up with is the left fist extended above your head, and it looks just like you called him out with your left arm. I was going to mention this, but I thought, nah, I've bagged on these poor guys enough for one week!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I was going to mention this, but I thought, nah, I've bagged on these poor guys enough for one week!
Steve,

It's better that we bag on them here and now. Maybe they will correct some of this garbage. Come championship game time, Joe Morgan will be in the booth (remember, he used to umpire a lot, just ask him) and I'm sure the bus is gonna need to refuel before the end of the game!
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He's not a 'pro,' so he can use any signal he likes.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I saw it. I would describe it as resembling the mirror image of a "pull the chainsaw" strike 3 mechanic, turned 90 degrees.

I was rather flabbergasted by it, myself. At first, I wasn't completely sure he was indicating that the runner had been adjudged "out."
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
I saw it. I would describe it as resembling the mirror image of a "pull the chainsaw" strike 3 mechanic, turned 90 degrees.

I was rather flabbergasted by it, myself. At first, I wasn't completely sure he was indicating that the runner had been adjudged "out."
Strange mechanics tend to happen when one is awakened from a sound sleep to make a call.....
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

clearing it all up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF
Eagle Eye, what does the length of the straps on the mask have to do with the quality of an umpire? That, in my opinion, is telling everyone that you are very anal.
Read carefully and you will see that it was not I who pointed this out, but one of the "professionals".

Again, I do not have a problem with critiquing the LLWS umpires. Some aren't ready, and as someone else pointed out, may never be. Some have earned their way here. I read this board for feedback and as a tool to improve my game. I know those on here worth listening to and when someone is using this forum because nobody else cares to listen at home. When I read something like what Ace wrote and I know it to be false, I will reply.

I am seeing that some Regions are consistantly sending less then par umpires to the LLWS. Not sure why, maybe there are some politics being played I really don't know, but I can assure you that a lot of what is being said on this board is also noted here.

I know that the SW Region is not a free pass to the LLWS. If we do not look like we care in the way we dress, we will definately hear about it. Positioning, Timing, and Mechanics are a MUST or the only way you will get to the LLWS is with a ticket. I see those who come to Waco more focused on sucking a$$ then umpiring and never see them again, and don't expect to.

Rodney Picard
Lake Charles, La.

P.S. As previously mentioned, I was assigned to call this year but became seriously ill upon my arrival to Williamsport and was hospitalized. Stephen Keener visited me and personally invited me back next year. I will try not to let any of you down
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF
Eagle Eye, what does the length of the straps on the mask have to do with the quality of an umpire? That, in my opinion, is telling everyone that you are very anal.
BEAREF-

I made the post about the straps, not EAGLE EYE. The lenght of the straps on the mask says just as much about the umpire wearing said mask as Sears pants, a whisk broom shoved in one pocket and the back-up ball shoved in the other. Although it may not be true, this guy "looks" as if he has been umpiring for about 1 week.

The best part is, he worked more than 1 plate game with his antenna. Why none of the other 5 members of his crew haven't said anything is beyond me. They let him hold the stick on TV twice looking like a jamoke!
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When I read something like what Ace wrote and I know it to be false, I will reply.

Rodney Picard
Lake Charles, La.
No, you don't "know" that what Ace wrtoe is false. You may think it is.
What Ace wrote could very well be as true in some regions as what you wrote may be true in your region.

Ace is a very long time LL umpire at upper levels. Ace has not only seen this, he has lived this.
Old Sat Aug 26, 2006, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

I would bet that a lot is regional!

Quote:
Read carefully and you will see that it was not I who pointed this out, but one of the "professionals".

Again, I do not have a problem with critiquing the LLWS umpires. Some aren't ready, and as someone else pointed out, may never be. Some have earned their way here. I read this board for feedback and as a tool to improve my game. I know those on here worth listening to and when someone is using this forum because nobody else cares to listen at home. When I read something like what Ace wrote and I know it to be false, I will reply.

I am seeing that some Regions are consistantly sending less then par umpires to the LLWS. Not sure why, maybe there are some politics being played I really don't know, but I can assure you that a lot of what is being said on this board is also noted here.

I know that the SW Region is not a free pass to the LLWS. If we do not look like we care in the way we dress, we will definately hear about it. Positioning, Timing, and Mechanics are a MUST or the only way you will get to the LLWS is with a ticket. I see those who come to Waco more focused on sucking a$$ then umpiring and never see them again, and don't expect to.

Rodney Picard
Lake Charles, La.

P.S. As previously mentioned, I was assigned to call this year but became seriously ill upon my arrival to Williamsport and was hospitalized. Stephen Keener visited me and personally invited me back next year. I will try not to let any of you down
Don't have anything to do with LL in my life but to observe, but I would bet there is a lot of variance in each region as to standards.

I've called just about any ball and all levels and I have seen that is true in most areas. The area I'm in now has very high standards.

However, in my travels I have been in other regions where there are no standards.

It would seem that many of those type of regions have sent guys to the LL World Series this year because I simply have seen very poor umpiring!

But as Garth stated, they get what they pay for.

thansk
David
Old Sat Aug 26, 2006, 09:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Rodney Picard
Lake Charles, La.

If some aren't ready, then why are they selected?

Again, it seems as though using an umpire slot at the WS as a lifetime participation award has not changed. However, it seems as though the regions have done a better job selecting enough good umpires that those we see on the plates (and as U1 most of the time) on TV are pretty solid.
Old Sat Aug 26, 2006, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm sure like you would feel better if LL used Professional Umpires, and while that would seem like a great idea, it wouldn't be long before there would be a LL umpires union. A list of contract demands would be submitted to LL International and before you could say "were in it for the kids" we would have a strike.

NO THANKS.

The truth is that every year there are a few individuals who watch these LL Umpires on national TV and are pi$$ed that it's not them. Your comments wreak of such an individual.
Rodney, everything you've said EXCEPT the above is sensible and reasonable. But the first statement is downright silly, and the second is an all-too-familiar method of "defending by attacking" that is intellectually dishonest and unbecoming of one who is supposed to have attained a level of experience and maturity that would preclude the use of such a tactic.

I'm sorry about your untimely illness that prevented you from participating in this year's LLWS, and I hope you do get to make it there next year.
Old Sat Aug 26, 2006, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Saturdays Assignments

U.S. CHAMPIONSHIP 3:30 P.M.

HP - Ron Gabriel, Castleton, NY

1B - Lyn Bourgeois, Vidor TX

2B - Eric Zimmerman, Glendale, AZ

3B - Stephen Guerrero, Hagatna, Guam

LF - Frankie Molero, Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico

RF - Lo Mei Yan, Kowloon, Hong Kong

INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP 7:30 P.M.

HP - Jim Knorr, Marrietta, GA

1B - Tom Cahill, St. Michael, MN

2B - Larry Brewer, Dowagiac, MI

3B - Bryan Murphy, Leesburg, VA

LF - Sam McCloud, Kemmerer, WY

RF - Arthur Johnson, Meredith, NH
Old Sat Aug 26, 2006, 12:50pm
In Memoriam

FWIW --> I just heard...

Quote:
U.S. CHAMPIONSHIP 3:30 P.M.

HP - Ron Gabriel, Castleton, NY

1B - Lyn Bourgeois, Vidor TX

2B - Eric Zimmerman, Glendale, AZ

3B - Stephen Guerrero, Hagatna, Guam

LF - Frankie Molero, Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico

RF - Lo Mei Yan, Kowloon, Hong Kong

INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP 7:30 P.M.

HP - Jim Knorr, Marrietta, GA

1B - Tom Cahill, St. Michael, MN

2B - Larry Brewer, Dowagiac, MI

3B - Bryan Murphy, Leesburg, VA

LF - Sam McCloud, Kemmerer, WY

RF - Arthur Johnson, Meredith, NH
...In 2003, Larry Brewer worked the Michigan Junior and Senior "States" here in the Upper Peninsula.
I don't know him.
Closed Thread