The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Ruling on Gloves

are these two gloves considered two toned for a pitcher? it says nothing about lacing and i have seen plenty of pitchers with gloves like these. please help!

http://www.ballglovewarehouse.com/pr...iew.asp?i=2778
http://www.ballglovewarehouse.com/pr...iew.asp?i=2782
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

In FED the white lettering makes the glove illegal, unless you color it in.

I heard a rumor that the reason FED outlawed the white on the glove is because Wilson asked them to. Wilson has the contract for the official baseball with FED and asked them to ban the white Rawlings logos (Wilson logo is yellow).
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

BaseballPlayer3,

They look OK to me.

Of course if you play under FED rules, you're going to want to "ink over" the white stitching in the Rawlings logo with a "dark" and "non-distracting" pen. I'm not sure about the ink in the pen. By my read, it could be flourescent pink.

If you're going to spend that kind of money on a mitt, I'd encourage you to check out a Nokona. Best gloves made IMHO. (You'll still need the pen for FED.)

JM

Last edited by UmpJM; Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 09:22pm.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

The coloring in of the white lettering does not have to be a dark color. It could be yellow. The lettering just can't be white and meet FED rules, that by the way, only apply to the PITCHER.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

gloves

the ruling says something about not having a white or grey glove. is that talking about the actual glove and not the laces, or do the laces count
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballPlayer3
the ruling says something about not having a white or grey glove. is that talking about the actual glove and not the laces, or do the laces count
The laces count (perhaps depending on what rules code you are using)
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

gloves

the only ruling i care about is high school baseball. i do not exactly know what the ruling states for that.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

BaseballPlayer3,

Under FED/NFHS rules, two-tone gloves are legal for a pitcher as long as they do not include the colors white or grey - or white thread. If a glove does contain white thread, like the Rawlings gloves do (as well as Nokona, & Nike) it is acceptable to darken the white thread with a pen. The following is from the NFHS website's 2006 rulings:

Quote:
SITUATION 2: S1 comes in to pitch for the starting pitcher. As S1 begins his warm-up pitches, the opposing coach complains that his red and blue glove is illegal and must be removed. RULING: The glove is legal as long as it does not contain the colors white and/or gray. If the plate umpire determines that the glove is distracting, the pitcher would be required to change it. (1-3-6, 6-2-1h)

SITUATION 3: With a runner on third, the defensive coach waits until the substitute pitcher has delivered a pitch for ball one to complain that the pitcher’s black and tan glove is illegal and wants a balk declared, thereby scoring his runner. The glove has a small amount of white thread in the manufacturer’s logo. RULING: The glove is illegal, not because it is multi-colored, but because of the white contained in the manufacturer’s logo. The pitcher must either replace the glove or darken the white threads in the logo with a dark pen that is not distracting. There is no additional penalty. (1-3-6, 6-2-1f,h Penalty)
JM
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

glove

so would you find this glove distracting since it has grey in it?

Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballPlayer3
so would you find this glove distracting since it has grey in it?

By rule, that glove is illegal for F1 to wear in a FED game.

How strictly it's enforced will depend on the local area.

If you have some doubts, you'd be better off buying a different glove.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

This subject was discussed ad naueum in local assocation and in state meeting. Any white on the glove is illegal in FED. There is no penalty for using one, just remove it from play when discovered. HOWEVER, if a batted ball is touched by an illegal glove the penalty is a 3 base award. This is what was giving us all the pain.

Many of my peers decided to discuss this at pre-game to make sure they did not have to deal with a complaint about it. I decided I would wait to see who the biggest a$$ in high school baseball in the area was by waiting to see who would lay down a bunt to the pitcher with runners in scoring position (ie any of the 3 bases) to draw a three base award to win the game.

I never heard a word from the coaches about an illegal glove. They either did not know the rule or were not willing to be the big a$$ over something so technical, and stupid.