The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Cubs/Cardinals

Did anyone notice tonight in the 8th inning that older gentleman in the cubs dugout with an official umpire uniform on? He had a light blue jersey with the black hat with the major league logo on it. Just wondering if anyone caught a glimpse of that guy and wondering who that was.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingswinger
Did anyone notice tonight in the 8th inning that older gentleman in the cubs dugout with an official umpire uniform on? He had a light blue jersey with the black hat with the major league logo on it. Just wondering if anyone caught a glimpse of that guy and wondering who that was.
Was it Montague?
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 01:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711
Was it Montague?
Yes, he arrived late due to his flight being delayed. He just watched the rest of the game from the comfort of the dugout. The rat!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 07:18am
M.A.S.H.

What a way to umpire a baseball game... from the winning dugout.

Of course, the Cards gave up the lead, but we are used to that now whenever we play the Cubs.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
What a way to umpire a baseball game... from the winning dugout.

Of course, the Cards gave up the lead, but we are used to that now whenever we play the Cubs.
Everyone knows that the best view of any play is from the dugout.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Yes, he arrived late due to his flight being delayed. He just watched the rest of the game from the comfort of the dugout. The rat!
I don't blame him for staying in the dugout. We all know that's where you get the best angle for the outside corner!
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

I didn't see the game but I think it was the attendant for the umpires room. I've seen many Cubs games and he's usually in the Cubs dugout wearing an umpires cap.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

I didn't see Montague, but I do think that was the umpire attendent. He was wearing a royal blue shirt under his umpire jersey. Why wouldn't Ed just hop in there when he arrived? What inning was it when he got there?
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 09:39am
M.A.S.H.

Here's how the umpires appear in the box score...somewhat funny...(from Sportsline)

Umpires - Home - Jerry Layne, First Base - Mark Wegner, Second Base - UMP Nonindividual, Third Base - Marvin Hudson

In the game notes it says: "The umpires worked with a three-man crew because Ed Montague missed his flight."
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 10:41am

I heard Nonindividual didn't miss a call all game! Plus, he rotated left or right depending on if it was a right or left handed batter at the plate, just like Joe taught him!!!
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
An intriguing question....

How do you all feel when your 'partner' shows up after the beginning of the game?

In our League, Junior Umpires are dismissed when they show up late. It's marginally acceptable to miss the Home Plate Conference (assuming an acceptable reason) but after I call 'Play', just keep on driving, do not pass go, do not collect your fee.

I think after one complete inning, they could be allowed in the game but some rat somewhere would complain I'm sure.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 12:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon
How do you all feel when your 'partner' shows up after the beginning of the game?

In our League, Junior Umpires are dismissed when they show up late. It's marginally acceptable to miss the Home Plate Conference (assuming an acceptable reason) but after I call 'Play', just keep on driving, do not pass go, do not collect your fee.

I think after one complete inning, they could be allowed in the game but some rat somewhere would complain I'm sure.
In our HS association, if you arrive anytime after the start of the game up until the beginning of the bottom of the 4th inning (mid-point of the scheduled contest), you get 1/2 fee. If you arrive later than that you get no fee and your partner gets both fees, same as a complete no-show. Might as well keep on driving at that point.

Allowances are made for cars breaking down or medical emergencies, as these are just about the only viable excuses for not being on time.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
at the MLB level, if Montague arrived at the ball park in say the 6th or 7th inning, do you think he should have gone on the field? Certainly both managers and MLB would be understanding of his situation, but do you think it would be unprofessional?

My feeling is no, as long as he's ready to umpire the game, get him out there. Getting four guys on the field should trump "what looks good" IMO.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Why wouldn't his crew have come together since they worked in Oakland the night before.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
at the MLB level, if Montague arrived at the ball park in say the 6th or 7th inning, do you think he should have gone on the field? Certainly both managers and MLB would be understanding of his situation, but do you think it would be unprofessional?

My feeling is no, as long as he's ready to umpire the game, get him out there. Getting four guys on the field should trump "what looks good" IMO.
Tim McClelland arrived late (after the 1st inning or so) a while back for a Cleveland-Chicago game and just came on the field in between innings.