The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 16, 2006, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
They sell other gear by reputable sources, why would you assume their shoes are shoddy?
price tells me a lot. honigs tries pretty hard to have good stuff at good prices, in both my experiences with them and in talking to them. if they could offer their shoes for $50 less than they are currently charging, im guessing that they would do it.

its purely an assumption that these shoes are sub-par quality, one that could easily be wrong. i just think price tells me more than i need to know about them.
Old Sun Jul 16, 2006, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
price tells me a lot. honigs tries pretty hard to have good stuff at good prices, in both my experiences with them and in talking to them. if they could offer their shoes for $50 less than they are currently charging, im guessing that they would do it.

its purely an assumption that these shoes are sub-par quality, one that could easily be wrong. i just think price tells me more than i need to know about them.

I bought a pair of gear bags from +POS a few years ago. About a week after I got them I found the exact same bags, sans the +POS logo, at a discount store for less than half the price.

If I'd only known I could have saved myself a hundred bucks, several weeks, and a bunch of phone calls.
Old Sun Jul 16, 2006, 11:43pm

Quote:
if they could offer their shoes for $50 less than they are currently charging, im guessing that they would do it.
Ummmm, I'm guessing they wouldn't. I've been doing business with Honig's for over twenty years, and while some of their stuff is very competitively priced, but I have found a lot of their stuff marked up pretty high.

One example is their McDavid Hex-pad tights. They want $57 for them, + shipping. Other places have them for $45 to $49 + shipping.

I must say that Honig's has fantastic service. They usually stock whatever I need in their California store, and I get what I need UPS ground the next day.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I've run into shoes that look like Honigs and some that look like Davis at substantially lower prices. A close inspection showed that the metatarsal plate was markedly inferior. In one case, it wasn't even metal.

Caveat Emptor.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Plate Shoes

I was the 1st person in my association to buy the patent leathe shoes from Inhouse Sports. They are the exact same shoes as the ones from Hoenigs. Several other umpires from my assoc have gotten them and are well satisfied. I've used the all season and unless something really unusual happens to them, I'll have the same pair next year. We've also gotten the base shoes for $39. They are very comfortable and we are planning to use them for football also. I am also gonna get a pair of their basketball shoes.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

I got my Honig's high tops back from the cobbler today. The uppers were in great shape but the soles had lost all the traction nubbys and were no longer solidly attached to the shoe, and the heels were worn down some. For $45 I got Vibram traction soles and heels installed. These shoes are already 6 years old and have had one set of heels put on them for $16 and with the new soles and heels I should be good for a couple more years at least.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

DG - did your cobbler have any restriction on what kind of sole you could spec out?
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
DG - did your cobbler have any restriction on what kind of sole you could spec out?
he was restricted to peach cobbler.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
he was restricted to peach cobbler.
You're on a roll tonight, Brian. I'll bet they can't wait for you to get back at school.

Tim.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

"schooooools out for summer. schoooools out for ever"
both of the above apply to me
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"schooooools out for summer. schoooools out for ever"
both of the above apply to me

Sounds like it's time for some post-graduate work!

Tim.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Sounds like it's time for some post-graduate work!

Tim.
im about a month and a half into that. i didnt even get to enjoy alice cooper's song, i just jumped into the world of work.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
im about a month and a half into that. i didnt even get to enjoy alice cooper's song, i just jumped into the world of work.
I meant it's time to start working on your post-graduate degree.

Tim.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

apparently im not smart enough to read yet haha, maybe i should go back. grad school will come soon though, im guessing.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Brian - If you have the opportunity for grad school do so NOW. The rewards will far exceed anything else you might think you want to do. Take it from a 51 year old who wishes he had pursued his opportunities thirty years earlier.