The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Plate Shoes (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/27443-plate-shoes.html)

LLPA13UmpDan Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:17am

Plate Shoes

Im looking for a pair of shoes for behind the plate. Any ideas guys? should i get a REAL pair from Honigs or something...or use black shoes/boots with a steel toe in them? :D Can you help me here? :cool: This season I used shin guards w/ foot flaps on them...and black shoes.

bossman72 Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:24am

www.tanel360.com

best dang plate shoes available.

LLPA13UmpDan Sat Jul 15, 2006 07:07pm

you gunna give me $120 for those shoes :D :p

BigUmp56 Sat Jul 15, 2006 07:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
you gunna give me $120 for those shoes :D :p

Miss even a half of days work and pay a medical bill for x-rays and treatment after you break a toe by not wearing a pair, and you'll have spent enough to buy 5 pairs of plate shoes. $120.00 is well spent unless you're a sadist.

Tim.

LLPA13UmpDan Sat Jul 15, 2006 07:18pm

im kidding....im looking for the least expensive pair i can find. (being a beginning umpire)

BigUmp56 Sat Jul 15, 2006 07:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
im kidding....im looking for the least expensive pair i can find. (being a beginning umpire)

When I first started I bought a pair of steel toed black athletic shoes from Sears for around $40.00. Just make sure you wear shin guards with metatarsal protection.

Tim.

kylejt Sat Jul 15, 2006 08:19pm

www.inhousesports.com/bsbumpshoes.html

65 bones for patent leather plate shoes. Spend the extra dough.

LLPA13UmpDan Sat Jul 15, 2006 09:07pm

$65 is a good price. Might get those.

SanDiegoSteve Sat Jul 15, 2006 09:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56
$120.00 is well spent unless you're a sadist.

Tim, I believe the word you were looking for was masochist.:)

Gaff Sat Jul 15, 2006 09:33pm

They look good to me

I had a chance to look at the $65 plate shoes from inhouse and they seem as good as Honigs. They also have nice base shoes.

briancurtin Sat Jul 15, 2006 09:41pm

New Balance plate shoes - best $95 ive ever spent towards umpiring.

ggk Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:17pm

in house plate shoes

the in house plate shoes look very, very similar to honigs - but they are about $50 cheaper. how is the quality? do they look like they will last??

briancurtin Sun Jul 16, 2006 05:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggk
the in house plate shoes look very, very similar to honigs - but they are about $50 cheaper. how is the quality? do they look like they will last??

take a guess

do you want to have these shoes last for more than one season? if yes, id say don't buy these knock offs.

kylejt Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin
take a guess

do you want to have these shoes last for more than one season? if yes, id say don't buy these knock offs.

Have you actually seen them? Someone who has said they were exactly like the Honigs. Same sole, etc. I'd really like to know from someone who's actually bought them.

SanDiegoSteve Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin
take a guess

They sell other gear by reputable sources, why would you assume their shoes are shoddy?

I bought Spot-Builts (locally for over $100) that sucked when they were brand new because they have a "hard" toe not a steel toe. At least these are steel toed. That makes them worth the $65 to $70, even if they don't last. At least my toes wouldn't get all messed up like they did.