The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Umpires Fined Or Repremanded

Why dont we ever hear about umpires,or any officials,for that matter,that get fined or repremanded or demoted for makind obvious bad calls.Why are they the," sacred cows" of sports? No one can question their ability to do their job properly,not even AFTER a game.A player,a coach,even an owner,can get fined BIG money,for just making a comment about an officials incompentence during a game,that may have even determined the outcome of THAT game.I understand that that they are human,just like the rest of us,and they will make mistakes,just like the rest of us,SO LET THEM SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES,just like the rest of us.
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Are you a Pirates fan?
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Let me guess. Your Little Billy's all star team was screwed out of a victory in the tournament yesterday. I'm wondering what the over/under is on how long this thread lasts.

Tim.
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

I'll support your position.....as soon as you agree to a hefty fine for a tragic lack of typing/grammar skills
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Sports officiating is not an easy thing. If officials were fined for a botched call once in a while they would quit officiating. Besides, who is going to sit in judgement of the official? Sure the MLB has camera's and evaluations can be made but most games are played without that benefit.

I did a district playoff Cal Ripkin game the other day. Home team had just clawed its way back and taken a one run lead. Two outs man on first when the visiting batter hit an easy one to the shortstop. The second baseman was slow to get to the bag and the shortstop hesitated and then went for the bag himself. Close play but the runner beat the shortstop. However, the fans and the coaches of the home team didn't see it that way. They freaked. The visiting team ended up with a one run lead.

Bottom of six, two outs, runner on third, visitors still up by one. Batter chops the ball straight down. The ball bounces up an inch from his arm but does not touch him. The ball ends up going a few feet into fair territory. I signal fair, pitcher fields the ball, and gets the out while the batter is wondering what to do. The fans and coaches go absolutely balistic claiming that the ball hit the batter. I tracked the ball the whole time and know it did not. However, I could see how it would have appeared to them that the batter was struck.

The home team lost and they literally wanted to lynch me after the game. To them I'd made two obviouslyl bad calls. It got to the point were the fans were trying to chase me down and the tourney director threatened to throw them out of the tournement.

Fortunately three Babe Ruth commissioners, (including the state commissioner watched the game) and felt all my calls were right. I have a good rep and was selected to ump the regionals so they already know I do a decent job.

Anyway, if you left it up to the home teams fans or coaches they would have fined, castrated, and suspended me. However, they would have be wrong. Again I ask, who is going to be the judge?

This is why I don't do little league during the reg season.

Eric
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudgedaddy
Why dont we ever hear about umpires,or any officials,for that matter,that get fined or repremanded or demoted for makind obvious bad calls.Why are they the," sacred cows" of sports? No one can question their ability to do their job properly,not even AFTER a game.A player,a coach,even an owner,can get fined BIG money,for just making a comment about an officials incompentence during a game,that may have even determined the outcome of THAT game.I understand that that they are human,just like the rest of us,and they will make mistakes,just like the rest of us,SO LET THEM SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES,just like the rest of us.
Pudgedaddy..Pudgedaddy..sit down and relax. Take slow deep breaths..inhale..exhale..inhale..exhale..feeling better now? Think calming and warming thoughts..relax..breathe..relax..breathe.

Now, tell us what happen to upset you so much.....Did somone pee in your Wheaties? It bothers us that you are so upset, we want to understand so that we can help you through this stressful time in your life. Let it out Pudgedaddy
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Instant Replay!!, plus fines based on:
1) total # of "obvious" blown calls in a game
2)how close the score is
3)different fine levels per base where called
4)time of year, playoffs, ect
5)if not MLB, then # of fans/parents complaining

On the other side: pay umps (over reg game fee) for:
1) $ for # of correct calls per game
2) $ for # of fans/parents complaining
3) bonus for ea ejection(coach more than asst)
4) $ for # of players who spit @ plate (Hey!, its where I work!)
5) bonus $ for good calls during playoffs

Any others ?
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Answer me this.

Ok, let us take your argument to its logical conclusion. Umpires are athletes. We do not compete against another team, but we are part of the athletic process. So why not:

1. Fine batters for striking out with the winning run on base?
2. Fine shortstops for letting the ball go through their legs?
3. Fine coaches who give the steal size to the slowest runner on the team and he is thrown out but 10 feet?
4. Fine pitchers for throw meatballs on a 0-2 count?
5. Fine catchers for past balls?

etc. etc. etc.

Umpires no more deserve a fine for missing a call than an outfielder desrves a fine for dropping a can of corn. Stuff happens. The coach benches him. Likewise our assignors bench us for missing calls. It happens all the time. Believe me.

Peter
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 04:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudgedaddy
First of all official/umpires are hired and fired every year and every season. Secondly, if this happens you will never know about it. For one it is not your business if this happens and unless you know the roster of a league, then you will never know why they left in the first place. If you think the same umpires stay for several years, then you are not as bright as we should give you credit for. All rosters at all levels change or make some adjustments for a lot of reasons. And yes, someone might get fired because of one game or incident under the right circumstances.

Also the funny thing about what you said, "Let them suffer the consequences, just like the rest of us." Now what is funny about that statement is the fact umpires are not talking to the media on a regular basis. So you cannot compare a coach or owner to an umpire that never gives interviews. Secondly I do not know too many times when a player or coach gets fired over one play or even a series of outings. Baseball is a game where you can play just about every day and have several chances for success or failure. I do not see many players getting fired for one bad day at the office. If that was the case, Kerry Wood would have been fired from the Cubs long time ago.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Why are we responding to these morons?
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 04:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711
Why are we responding to these morons?
Entertainment purposes.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 05:20pm

Hey Fudgepacky,

Why don't I come down to where you work and fine and reprimand you for every tiny little mistake you make? How would you like them apples?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Quote:
Originally Posted by His High Holiness
Ok, let us take your argument to its logical conclusion. Umpires are athletes. We do not compete against another team, but we are part of the athletic process. So why not:

3. Fine coaches who give the steal size to the slowest runner on the team and he is thrown out but 10 feet?

etc. etc. etc.

Umpires no more deserve a fine for missing a call than an outfielder desrves a fine for dropping a can of corn. Stuff happens. The coach benches him. Likewise our assignors bench us for missing calls. It happens all the time. Believe me.

Peter
Peter,

Just out of curiosity, what would be the fine for a defensive manager who, with a 1 run lead in the bottom of the last inning, two outs and runners on 2nd & 3rd, the #5 hitter at the plate, the on-deck batter hasn't hit the ball out of the infield the whole game, fails to instruct his pitcher to intentionally walk the batter?

Would the fine increase if the batter hit a line drive, oh - let's just say, over the F8's head, driving in the tying and winning runs?

Oh, and would it matter if the game was a semi-final playoff game when you were beating the top-seeded team?

As I said, just curious.

JM
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 06:25pm

John, John, John....are we talking about you here? You would never do such a thing, right?????
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by His High Holiness

etc. etc. etc.

Peter
**DOUBLE the fine for called third strikes.

Bob