Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 04, 2001, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

RE: Ghost Appeal

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Taylor
I assume that the coach would ask the ump for an appeal and the ump calls it. In live ball the player would have to actually tag the player or base. Another just came to me. In the past you could have an inadvertent appeal. In other words if you happen to step on the right base with the ball you got the appeal even if you didn't know you were doing it. I have never called this but I believe it was in the casebook.
I do believe that, that would be the correct procedure.
Coach asks, player actually does does tag of base/player
whichever applies.

Michael, didn't you hear that baseperson asked for
the appeal when they stepped on the base. ...Sure
they asked!!!![grin]

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Oct 17, 2001, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Re: FEDlandia redux

Originally posted by Jim Mills

Once again, the FED dispenses with the need for players to actually think and perform. In their recent survey of why officials don't re-register for FED ball, was "stupidity of rule book" an option? It's a major reason last season was my final season of HS baseball.

Jim no rule book is sqeaky clean As J/R points out there are some 75-100 inconsistencies in the OBR rule-book and there's a fat chance in you no where that the OBR will be re-written - It's not a big priority as far as the players or owners are concerned.

Personally, I preferred the old FED rule regarding appeals. I agree their new rule stinks I also do not like FED's pitching rules.

Absent the aforementioned I prefer FED rules as least for amateur baseball. Let's take a look at the slide / avoid rule that most amateur leagues adopt using OBR. Basically, you can maliciously contact a player, and only have to fear being ejected.

In FED Malicious Contact is an out and an ejection whether the player has the ball or not. Also, I think the FED has done a nice job in their case book analysis.

Nothing is perfect, but IMO the rules of choice at least for amateur baseball is FED.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Oct 17, 2001, 02:52pm
Veteran College Umpire

Did Patrick ever figure out that in a live ball appeal the base or the runner has to be tagged? The coach can tell his players to do just that - that's how the coach can "do a live ball appeal".

Only with a dead ball appeal (after all play has ended and "time" has been called, or the ball has gone out of play) can a coach - or any defensive player - just ask the umpire directly, "Did he miss that base (those bases, leave too soon, etc...)?".

GBA

Old Thu Oct 18, 2001, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by JJ
Did Patrick ever figure out that in a live ball appeal the base or the runner has to be tagged? The coach can tell his players to do just that - that's how the coach can "do a live ball appeal".

Only with a dead ball appeal (after all play has ended and "time" has been called, or the ball has gone out of play) can a coach - or any defensive player - just ask the umpire directly, "Did he miss that base (those bases, leave too soon, etc...)?".

GBA

I seem to remember you're a rules interpreter in Illinois. Well, I'm proud to announce Officiating.com has concluded an exclusive arrangement with Kyle McNeely, the advisor to the National Federation rules committee. I'm sure you know Kyle.

We'll publish his maiden article next Monday. His first assignment: Bring everyone up-to-date on the new FED appeal rule. His series on that topic will be the next best thing to the FED rules meeting in January. Our members will get a big leg up on the coming season.

A word of caution: I have the first article. The second piece may not appear for several weeks. Mr. McNeely is traveling abroad for his company. The last time he was in Country X, his laptop was confiscated. Consequently, he is traveling the old-fashioned way, with pen and paper.

The articles will continue unabated as soon as Kyle returns. It's always nice to have someone around, like me, who knows the rules. (grin) It's even nicer to have someone, like Kyle, who helped write them.