The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

How to move to view pitch

This has happened to me more than a few times this season and i want to see how you guys handle it.

Working the plate and the catcher calls for a high fastball and practically stands up and blocks your entire view of the strike zone. The pitcher delivers, but not high as the catcher called for it, but right in/near the strike zone at the waist/thighs.

Where/how do you move in this situation to get the best view of this pitch? I know i've called 90% of these balls just because i wasn't sure because of the crappy view i had, and some could have very well been strikes.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 11:37pm

I don't move. Most coaches will understand a ball call on this because they realize that their catcher blocked your view. They were calling for a pitch out of the strike zone to begin with, so they really can't get too upset with a ball call. They're usually just glad the batter didn't lose the mistake in the left field bleachers.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
I agree with Steve.

One other thing to keep in mind though;

You're going to see a lot of pitches where you don't see the plate, due to the catcher making some sort of move that blocks you. So you better learn where the plate is, and get comfortable making calls when you can't see the plate. That is the beauty of the GD Stance. The plate is always in the same place, relative to your nose. I hardly even pay attention to it any more.

Nick
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

After I started using the GD stance, I found that because you are working high already, this situation doesn't happen as often any more.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 06:43am
Stop staring at me swan.

one thing you may need to be aware of too...especially if you're working 1 man...at lower levels of baseball "guys who don't shave" you'll have hitters swinging at some of those pitches...or check swinging...just be prepared for that...if you're totally obstructed...you might not be able to make the correct call..
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

I can't remember a catcher who was so fat he blocked both the plate AND the batter when he stood up!

Also, I work the Gerry Davis stance and am back far enough so as to be able to see the batter no matter what.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Call it a ball no matter what. If there is protest from the catcher and/or coach, explain that the catcher blocked your view.

At no time should you move to try to see the pitch! Once you are down, STAY DOWN! If the catcher is not skilled and keeps blocking your view (this is provided that you are properly positioned in the slot) call balls, and remind the catcher to stay down on the pitch so you can see it. It might be a long day that day, but a coach and catcher that care will make the adjustments in the future to allow you to see the zone.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

PDX - I understand your point, but will you then snap at the catcher for not getting that high one that hits you in the mask because YOU told him to get down?
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
PDX - I understand your point, but will you then snap at the catcher for not getting that high one that hits you in the mask because YOU told him to get down?
We are not talking about the pitch that is out of the zone. We are talking about the catcher standing up on pitches that are IN the zone!

And I don't tell them to "get down", I tell them to "stay down" if they want me to see a strike.

And in the end, I could care less how often the block me out. I WILL call it a ball, and if they aren't complaining, I don't need to say a thing. It is when they DO complain that you can handle it the way I described above.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 11:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
I expect the catcher to have the skill to get up and snag the high ones, get down on his knees and block the balls in the dirt, and come up with everything inside. What I don't expect is for him to stand Ray Fosse style to receive the pitch and block me out.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

If the catcher stands up to catch the ball, when there is a runner attempting to steal, call it a strike if it is close to the zone, or a hittable pitch. Everyone is watching the runner, everyone expects the catcher to stand up, and it lets you get an extra strike.

Nick
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
If the catcher stands up to catch the ball, when there is a runner attempting to steal, call it a strike if it is close to the zone, or a hittable pitch. Everyone is watching the runner, everyone expects the catcher to stand up, and it lets you get an extra strike.
Maybe I'm just reading this post wrong (I hope), as nothing was said (here) about the pitch not being seen, but it seems to me that "everyone watching the runner....gets you an extra strike", sounds like an ump "has a hot date, wants to get out of there" scenario. After 10 yrs of varsity umping, I'm there until the game is over, not looking for trick ways to shorten the game, by what, 45 seconds?...
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
Maybe I'm just reading this post wrong (I hope), as nothing was said (here) about the pitch not being seen, but it seems to me that "everyone watching the runner....gets you an extra strike", sounds like an ump "has a hot date, wants to get out of there" scenario. After 10 yrs of varsity umping, I'm there until the game is over, not looking for trick ways to shorten the game, by what, 45 seconds?...
I use Nick's technique all the time. I refer to it as 'stealing a strike'

Close and hittable are the keys elements to this. Many times the batter has the take sign on a steal, so the coach and batter are willing to concede a strike in this situation and I'm happy to oblige.

It's kind of like when a high pitch comes in right down the middle and the batter ducks. "STRIKE"
Do you use this sitch as an opportunity for a strike or do you try to visualize the batters stance prior to ducking and make a judgement on the high pitch?
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIump50
It's kind of like when a high pitch comes in right down the middle and the batter ducks. "STRIKE"
Do you use this sitch as an opportunity for a strike or do you try to visualize the batters stance prior to ducking and make a judgement on the high pitch?
I love a batter that ducks !

Opens up the high side of the zone.

Nick
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds to me like this is a non-issue for all you GD'ers out there (i still don't know how you guys see the plate from so far back- then you work high to compensate for that and i don't know how you see low pitches. i guess i gotta try it for myself).

Ok- so next time this happens, i'll continue to call it a ball if i'm not sure and tell the catcher not to pop up next time.