The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Ball 4, You're Out?

Babe Ruth game (14-year-olds)

Tie score. Bottom 7th. Two out. Runner on third. 3-0 count. Next pitch bounces in dirt (Ball 4) and gets away from catcher. R3 scores. Batter/runner heads for first as teammates come out from first base dugout to celebrate win. Batter/runner never reaches first base, instead joining his teammates who are on the grass between home and first. Players line up to "congratulate" other team.

What is the proper ruling? (And please cite the rule to support this.) If batter/runner is out, at what point does the umpire call it? Must the defense tag the runner? If not, at what point does the umpire rule the batter/runner out?
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

J/R calls this 'desertion.' See related rules comments:

The batter becomes a runner when --
(a) He hits a fair ball;
(b) The third strike called by the umpire is not caught, providing (1) first base is unoccupied, or (2) first base is occupied with two out;
Rule 6.09(b) Comment: A batter who does not realize his situation on a third strike not caught, and who is not in the process of running to first base, shall be declared out once he leaves the dirt circle surrounding home plate.

This specifically references a D3K, but applies (as I understand it) to any situation where the batter becomes a runner.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Because the batter never reached first base and was the final out of the inning, no run may score on a play involving this batter. Therefore, R3's run is nullified. The umpire can declare the batter-runner out when he believes, in layman's terms here, that the B-R no longer made any effort to continue to first base. Some may call this abandonment, but the J/R manual refers to it as desertion. I suppose that's splitting hairs, but to make it easier to understand: did the B-R give up his advance to first and not reach it? If yes, he's out--final out, no runs score.

As far as which rule covers this run being nullified, refer to 4.09(b) for more information.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Also consider the casebook comments in OBR under 7.08(a)-

Any runner is out when --
(a) (1) He runs more than three feet away from a direct line between bases to avoid being tagged unless his action is to avoid interference with a fielder fielding a batted ball; or (2) after touching first base, he leaves the baseline, obviously abandoning his effort to touch the next base;

Rule 7.08(a) Comment: Any runner after reaching first base who leaves the baseline heading for his dugout or his position believing that there is no further play, may be declared out if the umpire judges the act of the runner to be considered abandoning his efforts to run the bases. Even though an out is called, the ball remains in play in regard to any other runner.
This rule also covers the following and similar plays: Less than two out, score tied last of ninth inning, runner on first, batter hits a ball out of park for winning run, the runner on first passes second and thinking the home run automatically wins the game, cuts across diamond toward his bench as batter-runner circles bases. In this case, the base runner would be called out “for abandoning his effort to touch the next base” and batter-runner permitted to continue around bases to make his home run valid. If there are two out, home run would not count (see Rule 7.12). This is not an appeal play.
PLAY. Runner believing he is called out on a tag at first or third base starts for the dugout and progresses a reasonable distance still indicating by his actions that he is out, shall be declared out for abandoning the bases.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

sounds like BayState's boy forgot to run to 1B
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

I am a (very) occassional fill-in umpire, so I am not fully versed in all the lingo. I don't know what J/R is. My Little League Rule Book is the 2004 version, so there may be updates. But I find the following:

6.09 (b) A batter forfeits his opportunity to advance to first base when he enters the dugout or other dead ball area.

I knew this rule. But the batter never entered a dead ball area. Does that matter?

If it is not specifically covered in LL rules, then do the MLB rules apply? I see these rules are much more specific and seem to properly cover this situation:

(a) EXCEPTION: A run is not scored if the runner advances to home base during a play in which the third out is made ... (3) by a preceding runner who is declared out because he failed to touch one of the bases.
Rule 4.09(b) PENALTY: If, with two out, the batter-runner refuses to advance to and touch first base, the umpire shall disallow the run, call out the offending player, and order the game resumed.

Rule 4.09(b) specifically refers to a two-out, bases-loaded situation.

I am troubled by this play, since if this happened on the 2-0 pitch and the run scored on the wild pitch, there would be no doubt that the run counts and the game is over.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

First of all Babe Ruth, Little League and Official Baseball Rules published by The Sporting News are all different codes. There are only slight differences, but differences none the less.

Secondly, the batter/runner in this sitch (if I'm understanding your original post) never accepted his award of first base. In other words, he chose not to run the bases, thus abandoned his effort to run the bases. He shall be declared out. No run scores. Game continues.

Find the OBR at http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/of...info/index.jsp
On the left side of the page.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I'm going to play Devils advocate here. Every interpretation I've looked at suggests the run would be nullified if R3 was forced to advance and the BR failed to touch first. You can't call the BR out for desertion until he reaches his dugout steps, as BR has yet to adopt the 2006 dirt circle restriction. I see this as an advance by R3 on a passed ball/wild pitch, which in my mind would end the game the moment he touches the plate.

J/R

By rule, a Batter-Runner cannot be out for abandoning before touching (or passing) first base. However, a Batter-Runner who aborts an advance toward first base before touching (or passing) such base and reaches his bench, dugout, dugout steps, or defensive position is out because of his desertion. Desertion typically occurs when a third strike is not caught and the defense neglects tagging the B/R or first base. Although improbable, desertion can also occur an award (e.g., after ball four after the B/R goes directly to his dugout in favor of a pinch-runner) or a batted ball.

MLBUM

Official Baseball Rule 4.09(b) provides that when the winning run is scored in the last half inning of a regulation game (or in the last half of an extra inning) as the result of a base on balls, hit batter or any other play with the bases full that forces the runner on third to advance, the umpire shall not declare the game ended until the runner forced to advance from third has touched home base and the batter-runner has touched first base.

JEA

Customs and Usage: Umpires should be alert on game-ending situations in which the batter walks and forces the winning run. With 2 outs, he shall be called out for his failure to comply with 6.08(a) and the wining run nullified...4.09(b). With less than 2 outs he shall be called out but the run would be scored. Umpires should make a practice of not granting time for a substitution after a batter has drawn 4 balls. Instruct the batter to advance to and touch first base before calling "time." However, if time is inadvertently granted by the umpire, a legal substitution may be made in accordance with 3.03 ("...any time the ball is dead")

Situations: Runners on second and third. Two outs...3-2 count on the batter. The runner on third is attempting to steal home on the next pitch. The next pitch is high and inside and the catcher is able to tag out the runner before he reaches the plate. Is the side retired or does the walk nullify the play?

RULING: The batter walked and completed his time at bat...and since the runner was not forced in by the walk...the play on him stands. He is the third out.

Tim.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef

I am troubled by this play, since if this happened on the 2-0 pitch and the run scored on the wild pitch, there would be no doubt that the run counts and the game is over.
No run can score if the batter-runner is out prior to reaching 1B (when the batter becomes a runner), regardless of method (tag, touch, desertion, strikeout, etc). So in the above you are correct, if the count had been 2-0. But it wasn't.

Why are you troubled? It's quite cut-and-dry.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

LMan:

I think the distinction is that this is a game ending play where R3 advanced as a result of the passed ball.

Tim.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Tim:

J/R does not agree with you. page 86:

V. A runner who touches home with the apparent winning run does not terminate the game.

1. A subsequent out is possible. If such an out, pursuant to these rules, prevents the 'winning runner' from being a run, the game continues.

Rule:

4.09a1, b: There cannot be a run if a runner has touched (or passed) home base, but there is related action wherein D. the third out is the batter/runner before touching (or passing) first base...

..and just in practical terms, a player who is hugging and mobbing his teammates in the middle of the field meets my criteria of 'not attempting to reach his next base.' You cannot wait there all day/night for him to eventually find hisself some DBT so you can ring him up

Last edited by LMan; Wed Jun 21, 2006 at 11:28am.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

I'll buy that. Now comes the big question. How long do you stand there and wait before you call the BR out? You'd have to stand there until the celebration stops and possibly all the way through the hand shake line up as he hasn't deserted until he enters the dugout. Man, what a $hit storm that's going to create.

Tim.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Ahhh, you edited your post in anticipation of my question. Thank God I've never had to make this call.

Tim.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

That's why you can't wait until DBT, unless he immediately goes there. Being the end of the game, you can't be sure he'll even re-enter the dugout again - he might head straight for Dairy Queen

Meanwhile, the defense has left the field, packing their gear, drifting off to meet mom and dad....no, clearly this won't work. Judgment call....allow a little time for a coach or someone to yell, clue him in, but once the dugouts empty and I've got a mob in the middle of the diamond, I have no heartburn calling him out.

JMO, your mileage may vary!
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Ahhh, you edited your post in anticipation of my question. Thank God I've never had to make this call.

Tim.
heh

Something else to consider, Tim. As the Oracle said, "This will really boil your noodle" if..... the batter/runner is met by his coach and they hug in joy, you can ring him up for coach's interference!