The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 1.80 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictArnold
Again, like I said before, every SCAB umpire can sit at home and know that along with being a SCAB they were also baseball's third choice for working their games.
Some kid named Marmol was called up from the minors last week and pitched for the Cubs.
He was at least the 4th choice.
I believe the Cubs would have preferred Wood, Prior or Wade instead, but for various reasons they were not available.
I think he allowed 1 run in 6 innings. Not bad. I think everyone involved would have been happy if choices 1 thru 3 had performed just as well.
Marmol certainly wasn't complaining, even though he knew he was at best the 4th choice.
First choice or third choice the replacements made the list, made their mark, made their point.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I find it funny that this guy can rip people for taking games that were refused by AMLU members, so that regular folks could take in a game, but I can't call him what he is.

It's okay to call people scabs because they don't respect unions, which is their God-given right, but I'm not permitted to call this person a demeaning name as well. Double standard here.

He ended his post with a challenge to take shots at him, but I guess the word "scab" is acceptable, but *** is not.

I loved it when Reagan forced the Air Traffic Controllers back to work. A great day in American history!
Steve,

No way to compare the two. Federal regulation prohibited the ATC strike because it put the public at risk (Same reason why law enforcement & fire fighter may not strike).

As far as BA's post: It's not a double standard at all. The fill-in umpires EARNED the title SCAB (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: SCAB is a slang term for a strike-breaker).

Umpires that took games during the strike KNEW what they were doing. Regardless of the reason one did these games, he/she earned the title. Live with it - you got exactly what you asked for.

Do I agree with everything that the AMLU &/or supporters have done or have been accused of doing? No, but that's simply my opionion. However, SCABS earned the title, so they have zero room to complain when names &/or pictures of them appearing in a public venue are posted.

So far as mistakes that may have been made: Any person improperly listed is free to PM me here. I can assure you that every reasonable effort will be made to correct mistakes (Hickman is OFF the list). PDX - we can fix your name too ....

Last edited by socalblue1; Wed Jun 21, 2006 at 12:35pm.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLawyer
Neither the first nor the last time.

Then again, I wasn't good enough . . . oh never mind . . .

Strikes and outs!

Eh, just an observation. I would not have taken your bet at that time, either.

I'm surprised that the mods don't just set the software to 'delete' every time the letters A-M-L-U are typed
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

B Arnold....thank you for just being you. I feel enlightened every time I read your post.

In the future I hope to mold myself into a stud muffin like you!!!!

until then I will simply be just a scaba daba doo..................................
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

too funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUMP

until then I will simply be just a scaba daba doo..................................
SCUMP-
Although I disagree with your stance on this issue, I have to admit, when I see some of your 1-liners... LMAO!
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

CTBLU40....thats fair. I can surely understand why you and I see things differently and I respect that. Good luck between the lines. peace
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

From the fingertips of socalblue1:

As far as BA's post: It's not a double standard at all. The fill-in umpires EARNED the title SCAB (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: SCAB is a slang term for a strike-breaker).

Oh, okay...so I can use the words nigger, kike, spic, wop, dago, sheeny, dyke and fag with impunity? After all, those are slang terms for those people.

By the way, they didn't break the strike. They simply replaced the umpires that refused to work. The strike still went on.

Umpires that took games during the strike KNEW what they were doing. Regardless of the reason one did these games, he/she earned the title. Live with it - you got exactly what you asked for.

Jim, you are treading a slippery slope. One could say that the AMLU gang got exactly what they deserved.

Do I agree with everything that the AMLU &/or supporters have done or have been accused of doing? No, but that's simply my opionion. However, SCABS earned the title, so they have zero room to complain when names &/or pictures of them appearing in a public venue are posted.

Okay...so I propose we begin a website for Associate AMLU members and part time Minor League umpires. We can post their photos (I assure you they won't be flattering.) and exploits. We can defame them and ridciule their actions and behaviors. The juicy photos of coach/player flare-ups will make great fodder for a rolling billboard on the masthead. Maybe we can dig up some personal background info and publish that too.

What? You don't like that idea. After all, when the replacement umpires (term used by MiLB, MLB and PBUC) agreed to work those contests, they never signed a waiver of rights. One would think that you never heard of slander and libel suits. If you think it's alright to defame an ordinary worker then you should have no problem telling us where we can find you gainfully employed.

So far as mistakes that may have been made: Any person improperly listed is free to PM me here. I can assure you that every reasonable effort will be made to correct mistakes (Hickman is OFF the list). PDX - we can fix your name too...

The word "reasonable" should never make it into any AMLU related spin. When they decided to publish the names, addresses and photographs of those that worked in their stead, they made a tremendous mistake. The wrath of the amateur umpire is greater than that of 220 prima donas. Since the average stay in the PBUC system is seven years, those inflated egos will be brought down to earth soon. They will join the ranks of those who umpire for the joy of the game (the paycheck, exercise and occassional MILF in the stands too). Former MiLB umpires worked as replacements and were just as qualified. What did they do to deserve the defamation? They worked games that the AMLU guys said they didn't want anymore. When I turn back college games to my league or assignor, I don't get to ridicule my replacement. Be a man and admit that.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 08:54pm

WWTB,

You left out bohunks, eggheads, fudgecicles, micks, frogs and hi-slants.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, there were many more names that I could have used, but I figured that the point was made. Just because a few people enjoy using the word 'nigger' doesn't make it acceptable. The AMLU and some of their followers are using the word 'scab' in the same way. Enlightened souls choose to use the term 'replacement umpires' since that is exactly what they were - they replaced the umpires who refused the assignments.

Some people still don't get it...umpires don't like being called names.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I loved it when Reagan forced the Air Traffic Controllers back to work. A great day in American history!
Forced them back to work??? Hell, he fired them all! A great decision, too.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Are you two having a Ku Klux Klan rally on an officiating forum? I guess your sheets are at the dry cleaners.
Just because a few people enjoy using the word 'nigger' doesn't make it acceptable.

I guess that you must have flunked reading too. Even your attempts at wry humor are failing.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, this thread should end...but why?

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...41/1007/SPORTS
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

That is just typical pro guys "looking for trouble where it isn't" stuff! You can't expect too much from a guy that has probably only been umpiring for a few years and is in WAY over his head in handling situations.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Messed up now ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryB
Yeah, this thread should end...but why?

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...41/1007/SPORTS
Poor guy, didn't think about the game situations involved.

Guess he just lost a chance to move up to the next level.

This reminded me of the old days when the umpires actually ruled the roost, with no access to the media etc.,

Now at least in MLB they have to answer for their miscues - for better or worse I don't know.

Thanks
David

Last edited by David B; Wed Jun 21, 2006 at 10:04am.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Inexperience... Are you kidding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxblue
You can't expect too much from a guy that has probably only been umpiring for a few years and is in WAY over his head in handling situations.
Lets say he's been a pro umpire for 4 years. Let's also assume that he was an amature for 2 years before that (because not many people get a degree in baseball umpiring).

Now, in those 4 years in MiLB, he's probably worked 28-30 games a month per season (6 months long). That's roughly 168-180 games per season, for a total of about 672-720 MiLB games. That's not counting spring training, fall league games and possible winter ball assignments.

Is it possible that this amount of experience is equal to 10+ years of amature experience? Not too many amature umpires work that many games each year...