The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Staying to watch the handshakes

I learned something new a few days ago. A colleague was recounting a post-game (Fed) incident (of the loudmouthed-spectator variety, I think) that occurred as he was standing on the field watching the players shake hands. I haven't done a Fed game in years, but I asked him what he was doing hanging around and not driving away. He told me that today Fed umps in NJ are supposed to observe the handshake line and not leave until it's over and the teams have separated. Apparently fights have broken out, so NFHS now wants the hand-shaking supervised.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Grey:

I would comment the following:

"FED" does not have a stance on the issue.

New Jersey may have a direction to their umpires. In Oregon we leave upon the final out of the game. After game confrontations are the responsibilities of the coaching staffs.

Regards,
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

You're right, Tim. It's not Fed per se, but either New Jersey or just that one association of Fed umpires.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
What chapter?

I'm a FED ump in NJ and I haven't heard any such edict. What chapter is your friend from?

Regarding handshakes, I don't keep track of innings or the score. When asked how I can ump without knowing this information I reply that that I when I see the teams line up to shake hands I take it as my cue to go home.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 01:17pm

Most teams here in the San Diego area have a "no hand shake" post-game policy because of fights breaking out in the past.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
Most of our umps will watch the handshakes. I won't and won't let the junior umps I works with do it. the UIC won't watch them either.

Wednesday night I'm PU and I grab my water before heading off the field. Look around to find the BU and he's at the plate watching the shakes. He had a great view of the 1st punch.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
I learned something new a few days ago. A colleague was recounting a post-game (Fed) incident (of the loudmouthed-spectator variety, I think) that occurred as he was standing on the field watching the players shake hands. I haven't done a Fed game in years, but I asked him what he was doing hanging around and not driving away. He told me that today Fed umps in NJ are supposed to observe the handshake line and not leave until it's over and the teams have separated. Apparently fights have broken out, so NFHS now wants the hand-shaking supervised.
So I wonder if the umpires are required to attempt to break up the fight? I would just stand back and write down jersey numbers.

Around here as soon as the game has ended we saddle up our horses and ride out together ASAP.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

What a shame...a game that permits fighting like hockey can have post game handshakes, but baseball can't?
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

What chapter is your friend from?

Mercer County (Delaware Valley).

Funny, I partner with him in ASA and NCAA (ECAC) softball often, and after one college doubleheader, we left the field immediately but, the game being rather uneventful except for one loud dispute within the visitors' dugout, remained in the parking lot changing rather slowly and discussing an upcoming tournament that he runs.

Wouldn't you know it, as the visitors made their way to their bus, one of the players spotted us and quickly approached with the following:

"I need your names, please."

"Why?"

"I have a federal discrimination lawsuit pending against my college and the athletic department, and I might need your testimony." [This was regarding the dispute in the dugout, which my partner and I heard but didn't get involved in. My partner had warned one of the players for a USC remark that apparently had its root in whatever dispute was going on.]

I wasn't sure how to answer, but my partner said simply, "All the information is on the ECAC web site." [That is true, sort of . . .]

After the player boarded the bus, my partner and I looked at each other as if to say, "We know we should get the h3ll out when the game's over. Why didn't we?"
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 03:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles35
What a shame...a game that permits fighting like hockey can have post game handshakes, but baseball can't?
I guess if we allowed fighting in baseball games, then we too could have civilized handshakes later on.

Hockey players get to vent their frustrations continuously throughout the game. Ball players have to behave nicely to avoid ejection, and have pent-up hostilities building during the game. And instead of a good hard body-check into the boards, they have the Force Play Slide Rule. Wouldn't you be frustrated too?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
This is not meant to sound sarcastic, but at what point do we realize we can't police everything that goes on out there? Have we become too nanny-ized?
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 04:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
This is not meant to sound sarcastic, but at what point do we realize we can't police everything that goes on out there? Have we become too nanny-ized?
There are at least 4-6 adults there for every high school game. As soon as the last out is recorded, I'm gone. If a punch happens during the handshake line, I'm not seeing it.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

After the last out I get remaining balls out of my bag and roll them toward the home dugout, and I'm gone...
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

im with DG.

i dont get paid to babysit, i get paid to umpire baseball games. when the game is over, my work is over and i leave.
Old Sat Jun 17, 2006, 03:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
After the last out I get remaining balls out of my bag and roll them toward the home dugout, and I'm gone...
I would never do that. I hand the balls to a player. This may be a regional difference, but I think rolling the balls is disrespectful to the team.