The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

I'm pretty happy with the way I handled this, but just looking for your thoughts. Last night we had 2 pretty good JV 4A (big schools in Iowa) teams. A1 drove the baseline and made a pass (I'm lead). After releasing the pass he lands OOB. A2 catches the ball and takes a shot. A1 waited until the shot came off and then re-entered the playing court. He was not a factor in the play on the rebound. My partner called a foul and as he reported I grabbed A1 and explained that he needed to get back inbounds right away rather than staying OOB because I could have called a T on him. A1 understood and thanked me. Did I handle that correctly? Just looking for your thoughts.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'd say you handled it fine. The other night, I had a kind inbound the ball and then stay OOB for a couple seconds. Next throw-in, I told him, "Once you pass it, get inbounds. You can't stay OOB, ok?" He said, "Oh, ok" and did it. I'm sure he just didn't know. No need for the T in those cases, IMO.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
I'm pretty happy with the way I handled this, but just looking for your thoughts. Last night we had 2 pretty good JV 4A (big schools in Iowa) teams. A1 drove the baseline and made a pass (I'm lead). After releasing the pass he lands OOB. A2 catches the ball and takes a shot. A1 waited until the shot came off and then re-entered the playing court. He was not a factor in the play on the rebound. My partner called a foul and as he reported I grabbed A1 and explained that he needed to get back inbounds right away rather than staying OOB because I could have called a T on him. A1 understood and thanked me. Did I handle that correctly? Just looking for your thoughts.
Perfect.

Z
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[B]...I grabbed A1 and explained that he needed to .../B]
I hope you meant your grab was figurative, placing hands on players during a contest is rarely/never a good idea.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 02:27pm
M.A.S.H.

Yes you did fine. I've actually seen this called once this year in a really close game.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Having called one of these already this year, I'd have to say that any way you can find to handle it that doesn't involve calling the T, is a win for everybody. Obviously if it's a blatant attempt to violate the rule you've got to call it. But short of that, stick with rule 11-1.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 03:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I wish you would've whacked him, Junker. A "T" would have made that game a lot better.

BTW, I think this was the first G/V double header I've had this year where the girls' coaches barked (a lot) more than the boys' coaches (none).