The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

Hand(s) on the catchers back

What do you fellow umpires think about putting your hand(s) on the catchers back when setting up behind the plate? Also, I would be interested in some feedback from former catchers who are now umpires. Thank you in advance
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRD
What do you fellow umpires think about putting your hand(s) on the catchers back when setting up behind the plate? Also, I would be interested in some feedback from former catchers who are now umpires. Thank you in advance
I think it's unnecessary, probably an annoyance to the catcher, whether he says so or not, and just basically kind of gay. I say this knowing several MLB umpires, and no doubt countless others in the lower ranks, have this habit.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

On occation for late set-up catcher

sometimes when a catcher is setting up late, I'll ask him if I can place my hand on his back to follow him so I don't have to "guess" where he's going. By late in setting up I mean he is moving when the pitcher commits to the plate.
I never touch the catcher when the ball is on its way to the zone. Just my mechanic.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Many catchers I have coached complain about it. I would simply ask the umpire to not do it.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Former catcher, now umpire...I did not like it back then and I don't like it when I see it now.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Hehehe,

Another good thing about working the "Gerry Davis Plate System" is that I am not close enough to even touch the catcher if I wanted to . .

Regards,
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
So, on the late moving catcher, you place your hand on his back so that you can follow him?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
I don't do it now that I use the GD, and didn't do it back when I work the Heel-Toe Slot.

Personally, I think it is inappropriate. How would you, especially if you are a youth player, like some stranger putting his hands on you while your trying to work ?

And don't even give me that crap that it helps an umpire track the catcher. As a batter I knew where the catcher was, I sure as heck don't need to use Braille as an umpire to track him.

Nick
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Used to catch, I hated it. If you need to follow the catcher, use your eyes. If you use your hand maybe you are blind, just like that the coach suggested earlier in the game.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BBUMP99
I used to catch, and hated it. I was ejected two years ago because, out of no where, I stood up and turned around and said something to the effect of, "Will you get your damn hand the hell off of my back?" It was worth it. Anyways, I dont do it and never will. I know that catchers dont like it and it doesnt really help the umpire.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Now & Then...

Sounds like I'm in the majority. I hated it when I caught, and wouldn't do it now. I remember having one umpire when I was in HS that wouldn't just put a hand on my back, but literally placed his forearm across my shoulders/upper back. I got so aggravated with it in one game that I purposely got tossed.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

I attended the PBUC Evaluation course thise year and while we were there they told us that it would work to our benefit it we placed our hand on their back just until they moved so that you can make the neccesary adjustment so you dont hinder the catcher one way or the other. Just thought you guys might like to know what is being taught.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCump84
I attended the PBUC Evaluation course thise year and while we were there they told us that it would work to our benefit it we placed our hand on their back just until they moved so that you can make the neccesary adjustment so you dont hinder the catcher one way or the other. Just thought you guys might like to know what is being taught.
This whole thread brings back memories of the Mike Matheny (sp? -- catcher for St. Louis) and Jerry Crawford "fiasco" during the 2003 season.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
It's not something I would do.

In the words of the immortal Forrest Gump....

"That's all I have to say about that."

Tim.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Former catcher (retired 2 years) current umpire here. I absolutely hated it and noticed it was mainly the old guys who would do it. I never had the nerves to smart off like some of the other posters though. After an inning or so, I always forgot about it and it never affected how I caught....it just kind of got on my nerves. I would never do it as an umpire, I believe it's completely unnecessary.

Luke