The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Question Did I blow the call?

OK here's my situation. Ball hit down first baseline rolling. The ball touches inside corner nearest foul line on the front of the base and jumps into foul territory. Ball is never touched by a defender. What do we have fair or foul ball???????????????
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Fair ball.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

PABlue,

Point dramatically in the direction of fair territory, and say nothing.

JM
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABlue
OK here's my situation. Ball hit down first baseline rolling. The ball touches inside corner nearest foul line on the front of the base and jumps into foul territory. Ball is never touched by a defender. What do we have fair or foul ball???????????????
How do we know if you blew the call or not if you don't tell us what you did?

sneaky, sneaky...
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

I BLEW it!!!! I SAW it, I CALLED it and I SOLD it and BOTH coaches belived it!!!!!!! I guess its a good thing I can sell a call,only it's now very embarrasing to have to tell the coachs that I BLEW the call. At least it didn't make a difference in the game. In the first play while I was calling foul F3 picked up the ball and stepped on first. On the next pitch the hitter struck out. Third out in both cases. I hate it when I do something like that.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

It Happens

Quote:
I BLEW it!!!! I SAW it, I CALLED it and I SOLD it and BOTH coaches belived it!!!!!!! I guess its a good thing I can sell a call,only it's now very embarrasing to have to tell the coachs that I BLEW the call. At least it didn't make a difference in the game. In the first play while I was calling foul F3 picked up the ball and stepped on first. On the next pitch the hitter struck out. Third out in both cases. I hate it when I do something like that.

Remember it and move on. We have all done things we want to forget but from my expierence the ones I screwed up are the ones that I will always remember.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

No worries, mate. Put it in your kit bag and move on

1B, 2B, and 3B are in fair territory, so any ball that 'bounds' into them is fair upon contact, as if it had touched a fielder over fair ground.

...but, just curious, why are you going to tell the coaches? If they care, they'll let YOU know the next time you see them

After all, do they tell you later on about their coaching mistakes in previous games?

Last edited by LMan; Wed Jun 07, 2006 at 02:00pm.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
LMAN,

I hate to be so "nitpicky", but I've got a little issue regarding ONE of the bases in terms of "...so any ball that 'bounds' into them is fair upon contact..." - because we won't know just yet whether it's fair or foul.

PABlue,

If it makes you feel any better, I made a coaching mistake once.

JM
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
LMAN,

I hate to be so "nitpicky", but I've got a little issue regarding ONE of the bases in terms of "...so any ball that 'bounds' into them is fair upon contact..." - because we won't know just yet whether it's fair or foul.

PABlue,

If it makes you feel any better, I made a coaching mistake once.

JM
Three are bases and one is a plate?

he-he!

Tim.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Tell the coach you saw it hit a rock, if he asks. Blues are never wrong!
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

I love it because these coaches have had me as a umpire for a few years now and they didn't even blink! That shows you how many I blow for them or give them a wrong rule interp they've grown to TRUST me ,now I could proabably tell them that a runner DOES have to slide at every base!!!!
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Touche, JM, I fixed my post.

PA, I am amazed that any place has coaches who trust Blue to be right on a rule interp. You are blessed

I bet they even ask you for 'time' before running onto the field.......
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

To tell you the truth I haven't had ANYONE run onto the field since my first year umpiring for this area SIX years ago. That gentelman was a personal friend of mine and he was quickly and firmly kicked to the curb. After coaches saw that I would do this to someone that was my friend they never even tried to cross that line.
At my plate meeting I always tell the coaches if they have a question to call time and come out and DISCUSS it with me.Yelling and screaming I won't put up with ,it's demeaning to ME the GAME and it shows the kids the wrong kind of behavior. I have not had one problem in the last six years with this area.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A couple years ago I was doing a 15 yr old game with the orange safety base.
hard grounder down 1st base line hits the top corner of the white bag and goes into foul ground down the right field line.
I yell "FAAiir" catching myself about halfway into my brain fart call.
everyone stops, runner stops, casually walks back to the plate. I'm looking around no one is reacting at all. Everyone assumed I called foul and no one argued. Of course I continued on like I called foul as well.
I said everyone, not quite, as I hand a new ball to the catcher the batter, quietly and politely says as he steps back into the box "Didn't that hit the base blue"? Yea it did son, the orange one. "oh ok"
That's one mechanic I don't have to worry about messing up again.

Screwing up a call and then learning from it is a far better teacher than any case book sitch you read about because there is an emotion tied to the experience that makes it tough to forget, as Wsttex said, you tend to remember your screwups.
If that's the worst call you make this summer so be it.
And I agree with Lman
Let a sleeping dog sleep.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Tell the coach you saw it hit a rock, if he asks. Blues are never wrong!
So your choice are

1) Tell him you blew it

2) Lie

And you'd choose lie?

I don't want you umpiring one of my games.