The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

insurance

Can anyone give me any info on getting and insurance policy for umpiring summer leagues.
Also any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry typo!

Can anyone give me any info on getting an insurance policy for umpiring summer leagues.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards2323
Sorry typo!

Can anyone give me any info on getting an insurance policy for umpiring summer leagues.
I think the NFHS and NASO coverage includes summer leagues. If you're already a member, you could check. If you're not, you could check and then join.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 03:30pm

PONY Baseball has a $1,000,000 liability policy which covers you for all levels and organizations of youth baseball. It costs $20 to register as a PONY umpire, and another $20 for the policy.

I placed a call to the insurance carrier for detailed information on exactly what is covered. When my phone call is returned, I will post what I find out.

Here is the link to order this insurance:
https://www.youthleaguesusa.com/pony...mpireForm.html
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Check out the ABUA insurance policy at www.umpire.org. It's $40 and although I have never used it, it seems to be pretty good coverage..

Lawrence
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

I get ABUA insurance every January, and it covers me for all games umpired during the year. The main thing I am looking for is liability insurance, because I have a good medical plan at work. NFHS insurance also covers for summer league, but I do games before HS starts, so I get ABUA to CMA. The ABUA website is also good for members, AND, I get a 10% discount at Honigs for being an ABUA member, which comes close to covering the $40 annual.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Recognizing that $40 is a platry sum for a little peace of mind, I find this topic interesting. About four years ago, I got into a pretty heated debate with Carl and a few others regarding liability insurance and umpires getting sued. I recall another member mentioning that an umpire in his group was on teh field when a youth was struck by lightning and killed. Aside from that incident, this board was hard pressed to find a documented case of an umpire being held liable for actions that occurred during a game he worked. Plenty of umpires are named parties to lawsuits and a monthly rag likes to scare the pants off new umpires with tales of leagal woe. However, I have looked high and low and cannot find a recent case of a baseball umpire being successfully sued.

Before the debate beigns, I also realize that many cases get settled out of court by the insurance companies. They view the risk as unacceptable or too costly, so a financial settlement is a more convenient way out. So...my question is this; why would you pay for liability coverage when U.S. case law doesn't have a single incident of umpire accountability on the books?

Lastly, read the fine print on those policies. Do they cover the expense of an attorney you hire or must you utilize theirs? Does the policy provide for your primary coverage (homeowners policy or like) to be exhausted first? Must you be responsible for a deductible? What does the policy actually cover? (Player injured through your action? Fan injured dues to player's action? Coach has heart attack and dies after seeing you incorrectly enforce a penalty against his team?) Let's see what's out there.