The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 21, 2002, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

I've been away from umpiring for about ten years while coaching/coaxing youth ball, but now that I've got my kids passed along to other coaches, I'm pulling out the rule book and shining up the plate shoes. We're a PONY affiliated community, and there's an insurance program available through that affiliation, but I will also have the opportunity to pick up some "open" games with the 13u, 12u, etc. travel teams in the area. I'd like to have a decent liability program behind me for such, and I'm wondering what y'all would recommend.... NASO, ABUA, other??? Thanks!!

~~Dan
Old Sun Apr 21, 2002, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

NASO is $79/year and you get $3M worth of liability insurance plus some legal fees if assaulted. There is an option game fee protection insurance. For your $79 you get referee magazine with the special insert, NASO Locker Room e-mailed once a month, plus other info.

ABUA is $35 for $2M in liability plus similar benefits, including accident insurance, game fee protection and they offer various training materials and other training opportunities.

Check the respective websites for more information.
ABUA
http://www.umpire.org/
NASO
http://www.naso.org

Ed H.
Old Mon Apr 22, 2002, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by danvers

I've been away from umpiring for about ten years while coaching/coaxing youth ball, but now that I've got my kids passed along to other coaches, I'm pulling out the rule book and shining up the plate shoes. We're a PONY affiliated community, and there's an insurance program available through that affiliation, but I will also have the opportunity to pick up some "open" games with the 13u, 12u, etc. travel teams in the area. I'd like to have a decent liability program behind me for such, and I'm wondering what y'all would recommend.... NASO, ABUA, other??? Thanks!!

In addition, to what Ed mentioned, I would recommend getting HS certified as their insurance covers you As long as you work with another Certified Official.

Pete Booth