The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PanamaCityBrian
Question Hockey Style masks or Traditional??

I figured I would ask my question first and make sure my punctuation is at the level required for this forum.

Ok I am trying to find out if there are any major differences in the two styles of masks? I understand the design but I am not sure if it is preference or what..??? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I have just been trying to make sure that there isn't something I am missing.

Thanx for the input

Brian
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Brian,

For an unbelievably "in depth" discussion of the question you pose, check the thread at the following link: Helmet v Mask

JM

Last edited by UmpJM; Wed May 03, 2006 at 11:47pm.
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 11:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Or you can look at the very bottom of this page and you can see more conversations about this very subject.

Peace
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Post I have found it superior to a mask.

Here is an in-depth explanation of my experience with a Hockey Style Helmet.

http://www.reegind.com/helmet.htm

Mask vs. Helmet, gets about as heated as MAC vs. Windows.

Best thing is to try both.

When I say try both, I mean do an entire game with each. And, if it doesn't happen during the games, get someone to hit you square on the nose with a fastball wearing each. Mask: Ouch, what's that ringing in my ears ? What are those stars doing out in the middle of the day ? Helmet: Did a mosquito just land on me ?

BE YOUR OWN JUDGE !

Nick
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I guess this boils down to the "increased protection" vs. "comfort" debate. To me it is just personal preference.

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

I have worn both. The hockey mask provides a greater field of vision and disperses impact better. The traditional mask, because of how it is worn, transfers the impact to the forehead and more so the chin (jaw). If you take a serious direct hit, this can leave you with problems with your jaw, ears, and sinuses.

-Benjamin Franklin
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
I guess this boils down to the "increased protection" vs. "comfort" debate. To me it is just personal preference.

Bob P.
There is no debate here, at least not that I have read.

No one denies the increased protection.

As for comfort, helmet feels lighter on your head, no weight hanging off the front of your face, easier to remove, much cooler than a wool cap, able to speak clearly (no pressure on your chin), etc.

The big debate is usually Traditional Look vs. Robo Ump look. I think this debate is debunk at this point, because the "look" has been excepted at all upper levels from College to MLB.

And, I have never had a coach, player, or colleague, comment negatively about me or my umpiring with regard to my helmet. Either you suck, or you don't. (left myself open for you flamers) If you don't suck, nobody even sees, or cares, what equipment you use.

Nick
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
There is no debate here, at least not that I have read.

No one denies the increased protection.
im not denying the increased protection, its definitely there, but not all of us need protection on the top, back, and sides of our head

the mask will do just fine for me, and i have no problems with it. when properly adjusted and used with proper head techniques (ie. not moving), an umpire wearing a regular mask will be just fine.
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 02:43pm

Well briancurtain, you are a young buck on the way up, and you only need protection in the front.

Some of us work lower levels, or have taken an intentional move down in level, as in my case. The other day I had a ball ricochet off of a close backstop and nail me in the back of the head. I was very glad to have been wearing a helmet.

And even if you don't need protection on the top, back, and sides, there is a definite increase in protection to the face as well. Shots do not ring any bells as they do with the best of conventional masks. They feel like a gnat flew up against your mask.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Nope,

"The traditional mask, because of how it is worn, transfers the impact to the forehead and more so the chin (jaw)."

This is not a true statement if you wear your traditional mask correctly.
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
"The traditional mask, because of how it is worn, transfers the impact to the forehead and more so the chin (jaw)."

Yeah? Would you like to explain how you think this not the case? It is a proven fact that umpires hit while wearing the helmet vs. traditional mask sustain fewer and or less severe concussions and compression injuries. This is so much true that PBUC now reccomends the helmet.

-Benjamin Franklin
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Well,

First of all FS let me talk to wearing the mask correctly.

IF the mask hanges from your face and is not too tight, the engineerning is for the mask to spin or fly off at contact.

I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

I have worn a mask for decades and when worn correctly all energy is displaced before hitting your face (jaw) . . . I don't expect you to understand that.

My point, for those that do understand, is if worn correctly there is little to no energy displaced to your face (jaw).

Of course this is just my opinion (and that of EVERY mask engineer) . . . but Jiggy you know everything.

Regards,

PS:

Please give me documented proof of your statement that HSM umpires recieve less injuires.

I'm waiting.
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Guys, Tim is correct when he describes the mask flying off or spinning off.

I've been hit with some pretty damn hard foul balls as well as direct pitches. Sometimes the balls have hit me straight on, sometimes they've hit the side/top/bottom of the mask. In each situation, I "felt" the hit, but not in a negative or painful manner.

I use the GD new view mask and love it and have had no problems with it when it has been hit hard.
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C

i definitely agree. this man speaks the truth.
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

I had an inside fastball hit be directly in my mask last year and it jumped off my head and landed at my feet. By the time it landed I was asking the catcher "is that the best you can do?".