The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Question

I am looking at getting a helmet-mask combo.

I am wondering what the best/worst are. I am moving into upper American Legion ball and being evaluated to move into juco ball. I want a set-up that can handle this level of baseball.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Go to this web page and you can read about the helmet I use and how it has worked out for me.

http://www.reegind.com/helmet.htm

Nick
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

To me, the most vulnerable spot is the top of the head, which the mask of course does not protect. Every year I get hit on the cap button by a pitch deflected downward by the catcher's glove. I tried those visorless helmets but gave that up because the straps sometimes lose their grip and pop off at bad times, like when the pitch is on the way. They were also very hot in the summer.

All-Star makes the helmet the MLB umps use. It is no doubt very fine, but the lowest price I've found on it is $350.

Mizuno makes what appears to be an excellent helmet for under $150. I haven't seen one live, though. +POS offers it.
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

The All Star is available in several models ranging from $129 - $400, depending on where purchased.

Fiberglass helmet and Steel cage, HS and down.
Fiberglass helmet and Titanium cage, NCAA and down.
Kevlar helmet and Titanium cage, MLB and down.

Nick
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nickrego
The All Star is available in several models ranging from $129 - $400, depending on where purchased.

Fiberglass helmet and Steel cage, HS and down.
Fiberglass helmet and Titanium cage, NCAA and down.
Kevlar helmet and Titanium cage, MLB and down.
So what is the difference? Does the ball move that much slower in NCAA than it does in MLB? What is difference between these helmets?
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Hockey Mask

You might consider the Pro9 to see if you really like it before spending big bucks. I know that one of the college umps in our association uses one. I bought one for my Queen and she really likes it. Seems like good quality at a great price.

IMO some of the hockey masks are priced based on reputation & status. All-Star had the first ones about 8 years ago so they tend to be most expensive. JMO but I think you tend to pay for the name on some things. But if it fits, is comfortable and you love it then money is the last thing you worry about.
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Post To LDUB

The difference is the material that either the helmet or the cage is made out of.

As the materials get stronger, the price goes up.

When All Star first came out with this line of products for umpires, that is how they listed the product usages.

See my post above. I list the differences for each price, and the All Star usage recommendations.

And yes, the ball comes off the bat harder for NCAA and MLB, and the the pitches are a tad bit faster in MLB.

I know I have never experienced a 90+ mph fastball coming off an NCAA legal Aluminum bat in HS. Nor have I been hit on the bean with a 100+ mph fastball in HS.

I currently use the low-end All Star. If I were to ever have the opportunity to work above HS, I would be purchasing the TOP-END ASAP !

Nick
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Every year I get hit on the cap button by a pitch deflected downward by the catcher's glove.
Exactly how does that happen?

Old Thu May 27, 2004, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

He's looking between the catcher's legs ?

Nick
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Exactly how does that [getting hit on the cap button] happen?

The catcher reaches up for a high pitch, and the ball hits the heel of the glove and deflects downward onto my head. It happens a couple of times a year.

Incidentally, I've seen many high school–age pitchers with major league fastballs. They may not be MLB-quality pitchers, but in terms of pure speed, they throw harder than many MLB pitchers.

[Edited by greymule on May 27th, 2004 at 09:20 PM]
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 12:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: To LDUB

Quote:
Originally posted by nickrego
The difference is the material that either the helmet or the cage is made out of.

As the materials get stronger, the price goes up.

When All Star first came out with this line of products for umpires, that is how they listed the product usages.

See my post above. I list the differences for each price, and the All Star usage recommendations.

And yes, the ball comes off the bat harder for NCAA and MLB, and the the pitches are a tad bit faster in MLB.

I know I have never experienced a 90+ mph fastball coming off an NCAA legal Aluminum bat in HS. Nor have I been hit on the bean with a 100+ mph fastball in HS.

I currently use the low-end All Star. If I were to ever have the opportunity to work above HS, I would be purchasing the TOP-END ASAP !
Why? I worked college baseball with the low end All-Star and it held up quite well.

--Rich
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

I have seen the steel cages get broken as do steel masks. I have never heard of a Titanium cage failing. Nor have I heard of any injuries, from any cage. But the cost to replace the cage assembly is about $1.50 less than a new helmet. I guess I could wait for my cage to get damaged and then buy the replacement.

But to be honest, I don't think I need to worry about buying an upgrade for a few more years.

Nick
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Thumbs up thanks for the input

I appreciate the information from the crew.

I was discussing this with some of my peers in my association and they all use the low-end all-star mask.

As for MLB speed - I had a 16 year old kid throwing in the mid-80s Wednesday night and my partner had an 18 year old throwing in the low 90s during the HS season. Incidentally, he took two shots off his low-end All-Star from this kid and is none the worse for wear.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Just did my first game with the Easton

Light weight, comfortable and a huge increase in vison. I loved it.

Just a side note, the Easton VRS and All-Star are both cut out much farther back at eye level than the 9 and Diamond and Rawlings and Mizuno, when you put them both on it is a rediculous amount of difference. In the Easton, I have almost full periferal(sP) vision without any blockage, in the others it was like half, only slightly better than with a conventional mask. I foundmy Easton on Ebay for $75 US, total $97us including shipping to canada, which with duty came to $157 Can., for a mask that retails her for $189.99 + Tax for a total of $218.49. A great deal if I do say so myself. However, I had to watch Ebay for about 1 1/2 months before an Easton came up, the All-star's appear a bit more readily. (Use Catcher's helmet as your search) P.S I found three places that sell the easton for $89Us + shipping so you can find a great price on a great helmet if you just searc a bit.
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

I have never even dreamed of getting a hockey style mask for several reasons. One is cost. Two, it looks heavy. Three, I am very comfortable with my ultralight single bar. And finally, it looks HOT, as in temperature-wise. I know it is more expensive than a regular ultra-light but can it be as light, and is it HOT under there?

[Edited by DG on May 28th, 2004 at 08:30 PM]