The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
weird play

bases loaded, 2 outs, 3-2 count on the batter. pitcher is in the windup position. runner on third breaks real early towards home, as he slides into home the pitch hits him. whats the call?
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Assuming there was no interference the runner is safe and the pitch is to be judged on it's own merits.

Tim.
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

As Tim says, the pitch is judged on its merits. The ball is immediately dead. In yankeesfan's sitch, if the umpire judges the pitch a strike, the (half) inning is over and no run scores. If he judges it a ball, the R3 scores, the BR is awarded 1B, and the other runner's advance.

In other sitches (where the pitch is not strike 3 for the 3rd out of the half inning), any runner(s) are awarded an advance base (whether forced or not)and the ball or strike is added to the batter's count, as judged by the umpire. The batter cannot become a runner on a 3rd strike not caught in this situation.

JM
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Thanks, John.

Here's the rule along with the professional interpretation that you're looking for.

5.09(h)

The ball becomes dead and runners advance one base, or return to their bases, without liability to be put out, when any legal pitch touches a runner trying to score; runners advance.

Professional Interpretation:

Key to this rule is the term "legal pitch." Oftentimes when a pitcher sees a runner attempting to steal or especially when he is caught by surprise, he will quick pitch. This, of course, is an illegal pitch and ruled a balk with runner/s on base. In other cases, the pitcher may be off the rubber when he delivers. The umpire must be alert as to whether he properly disengaged or he balked in so doing. If he properly disengaged and the “thrown” ball (not pitched ball) strikes the runner, the ball remains alive and in play. As a matter of fact, it is critical that the umpire be very alert to determine whether or not the batter interferes with a thrown ball or a play at home. If other runners were on base when a legal pitch struck the runner trying to score, the ball would be ruled dead and each runner would advance. Of course, if the pitch were in the strike zone when it touched the runner and there were two strikes, the batter would be out; but the run would score in accordance with Rule 6.05(n). With 2 outs in this situation, no run would score.

Tim.
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
If he steps off, and throws to the plate... and the batter swings and hits the pitch, now what?

I am going to say batter interference, dead ball, runners advance one base, just as with any other batter interference. But I think you have to make this one dead, no?

Don't have my rulebook with me.
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
...dead ball, runners advance one base, just as with any other batter interference.
TussAgee11,

I'm with you on the interference and dead ball, but I can't imagine what you're thinking with the "runners advance one base" comment. Not in my world.

JM
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Wow i got confused.

My fault gang, you're right.