The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Missing home after a HR.

Batter hits a HR out of play. He misses home. As soon as he misses home, the catcher appeals.

Is the appeal granted? Does he have to enter dead ball territory or is his baserunning obligations completed, therefore rendering him out upon appeal?
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

What rule set?
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
In FED he's called out on appeal while the ball is still dead.

In OBR the umpire must put a ball back into play for this to be a proper appeal.

See OBR 7.10 and 5.02

Tim.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

We've done this before and if I didn't know any better I'd think you were put up to this one.

If you are indeed from Illinois, then you only need recall a Super Sectional game a few years ago. The batter hit a ball that cleared the fence in fair territory and his team came out to celebrate the home run. The plate umpire noticed that the batter had clearly missed the dish and so did the coaches and catcher of the defensive team. The batter was declared out and his run did not count as he had abandoned his attempt to advance to home in the correct manner.

The same play happened in a Colorado state championship game and was discussed here as well.

Some members feel that this is an expected call and we should ignore something that is of little consequence. Let's see if that box gets opened again.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

No, I wasn't put up to anything. I had a game this evening and this happened. Also, the game ended 6-5 and the losing team was the one who had the run wiped off!

FED rules. My question is, can the defense appeal as soon as he misses the plate? If the missed base was first, second, or third, they have to wait to appeal unitl he completes his baserunning responsibilities. Do they have to wait until he enters dead ball territory to appeal at home?
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Walk-off Home Run

They must wait for B/R to walk off the field. Otherwise they would be tipping their hat that the B/R can return and TOUCH the plate.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

So, if the BR has not entered dead ball territory, and the defense appeals, the appeal isn't valid? Say the BR is ALMOST to the dugout and the defense appeals, then the BR comes back and touches the plate. Ruling?????
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

In FED you can make a dead ball verbal appeal at any time. The ball is dead when it went over the fence so they could dead ball verbal appeal any missed base as soon as it happened, as long as the runner is not trying to return to the base at the time.

In OBR the ball must be live to make an appeal.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

FED rules say that appeals can be granted when the baserunning responsibilities are finsished on awarded bases. I interpret that to mean that if the BR missed second, an appeal wouldn't be granted until he reached home.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Need a baseball?

The appeal isn't valid until play resumes. DC should wait for B/R and his entourage to enter the dugout. Not even the DC should verbally appeal until then, unless he wants to see the B/R return and touch. Rulebook states that defense cannot get an out during the dead ball because of a HR. The missed base OUT occurs on a proper appeal ruling that takes place afterward.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Rulebook states that defense cannot get an out during the dead ball because of a HR.
Could you give a rules reference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini_Ref
Do they have to wait until he enters dead ball territory to appeal at home?
I would wait until the runner gets to the dugout. That is when I believe that he has ended his baserunning responsibilities. That is what I get from FED 8.2.6c
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
FED rules say that appeals can be granted when the baserunning responsibilities are finsished on awarded bases. I interpret that to mean that if the BR missed second, an appeal wouldn't be granted until he reached home.
When the ball is dead a runner may not return to touch a missed base after he touches the next base. A dead ball verbal appeal can be made any time after the ball is dead.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

I think if the runner misses home, and starts toward the dugout and seems as though he has no intention to retouch, i'll allow an appeal.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 01:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
I think if the runner misses home, and starts toward the dugout and seems as though he has no intention to retouch, i'll allow an appeal.
In a pro or college game, you'd have to get the ball to the pitcher and make it live again since there are no dead ball appeals at those levels.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Batter hits a HR out of play. He misses home. As soon as he misses home, the catcher appeals.

Is the appeal granted? Does he have to enter dead ball territory or is his baserunning obligations completed, therefore rendering him out upon appeal?

If the runner has initiated a return, then the appeal is not recognized (if it was a live ball, the runner would need to be tagged).

See 8.2.2C, 8.2.2M