The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Question Missing Home (or any base) after Walk-off HR

New twist on a recent thread:

What is the procedure on allowing an appeal after an apparent walk-off HR if BR or any runner misses a base or the plate? To complicate even further, how would you handle the appeal after the winning team rushes the field in celebration of their 'victory'?

OBR and FED codes.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
In OBR once a runner has advanced to and touched a base beyond the missed base during a dead ball he cannot correct his error. He would be called out upon proper appeal. If he misses home and immediately scrambles back he must be put out with a tag, which obviously cannot happen since the ball left the playing field. However, if he leaves the immediate vicinity of the plate he can be called out on proper verbal appeal, although the umpire must put another ball back into play.

Professional Interpretation: This rule defines a runner's rights (1) when the ball is dead and (2) when it is alive. A runner has an obligation to touch bases in both dead ball and live ball situations. (See rule 7.05 End Notes) Once a runner has advanced and touched a base beyond his missed base in a dead ball situation, he may not legally return to touch the missed base. For the purpose of consistent interpretation, 6.08(c), 7.04(d), 8.05 A.R., the runner is considered to have "touched" the next base once he advances beyond it. If he does return in these cases, he shall be declared out on proper appeal. In live ball situations, a runner may return to touch any missed base as long as he retouches each base in order.

Tim.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

I understand that, but that doesn't answer my question. In a walkoff homerun situation, the ball normally isn't made live again. How can there be a proper appeal in OBR or a live ball appeal in FED?

On a side note, I know that a dead ball appeal could occur in FED after the missed base, but I have yet to see a dead ball appeal by any of the non-rulebook-reading coaches in this area.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits
I understand that, but that doesn't answer my question. In a walkoff homerun situation, the ball normally isn't made live again. How can there be a proper appeal in OBR or a live ball appeal in FED?
OBR: Once the defense indicates that they want to appeal, give a new ball to the pitcher, make it live and let them appeal.

FED: If they insist on making a live ball appeal, same thing. A better answer is to ask, "What are you trying to do?" (or similar). Once they answer "Appeal that BR missed first.", rule on it.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

That's what I was looking for. Thanks.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

I have never seen a player miss home plate during a walk off HR trot, and I don't think I ever will.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
DG:

Just curious about your comment. Are you saying it's never happened in one of your games or are you saying it might have happened and you elected to not see it?

Tim.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
DG:

Just curious about your comment. Are you saying it's never happened in one of your games or are you saying it might have happened and you elected to not see it?

Tim.
It does not matter, unless the defense appeals. I have never had an appeal in this situation. Like any other base, if I see a miss I have to be sure I saw a miss, and then the defense would need to appeal. It would take a HUGE rat a** to appeal a miss on a walk off HR.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
DG:

Tim.
Never seen it happen on a walk-off HR. The guys in our association like to try to stump each other with TWPs.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Well,

I am not sure HOW a batter could miss the plate on a walk off during my game.

Because:

I keep the winning team back on the grass away from the plate.

I stand on the inside (infield side) of the plate.

After watching all the runners touch third base that I am responsibile for and watch each guy touch the plate I make sure that the batter touches the plate.

Since I am not subtle I follow the process used by MLB umpires and clearly stand staring down at the plate . . . every runner (batter) in all my games clearly understand what I am doing.

I have never had to select to see (or not see) any miss of the plate on a walk-off.

Regards,
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

I Found this video clip of a walkoff homerun that occurred with a local 18U summer team.

The video clip is VERY large, a little over 23Mb's, so you'll definitely need a high speed connection.

Situation: Extra innings. Bottom half of the inning. R1 and R2, two outs. Batter hits a walkoff homer.

Watch the runners closely.

CLICK HERE!

David Emerling
Memphis, TN