The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Question conflict in baseball assignment

i am doing a research assignment on baseball and i was thinking if anyone here would have the knowledge and think of any examples for the following questions:

in baseball history where has there been a major baseball (at the elite level and preferably televised) conflict between :
-fans and officials,
-athletes and fans and;
-coaches and officials

thank you
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

fans vs. officials
eric dybas (fan) vs. laz diaz (umpire) at a chicago white sox game

if you want a fan vs. coach one, theres the father/son duo that attacked KC royals coach Tom Gamboa - also at a white sox game. classy fans at those white sox games...

athletes vs. fans
chad krueter of the dodgers vs. cubs fans sitting near the bullpen
frank francisco of the rangers vs. some lady in the stands (threw a chair at her face)

coaches vs. officials
i dont know of anything conflicting other than the typical heated arguments. no thrown chairs or anything...that i know of. im only 21 so theres a lot i dont know.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

thanks!!!!!
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 10:37pm

Ray Knight, while coaching 3rd base for the Reds, pulled out 3rd base and chucked it a good long ways in protest of an umpire's call.

Opening day this past Monday in San Diego, some fan threw a syringe at Barry Bonds. Kind of ironic, since Barry plays for the city whose fans are notorious for throwing batteries at opposing outfielders.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
if you want a fan vs. coach one, theres the father/son duo that attacked KC royals coach Tom Gamboa - also at a white sox game. classy fans at those white sox games...
I kinda liked that one. When it was all over Dad looked like he just went a few w/ Ali in his prime! The players beat the crap out of them & they still got jail time!

BIG'S BLOG
Old Fri Apr 07, 2006, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Almost anything with Lou Piniella, especially once kicking his hat around the entire infield.
Old Fri Apr 07, 2006, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Anything with Earl Weaver.
Old Fri Apr 07, 2006, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Lloyd McClendon (former Pirates manager) is another one you could use. He was always quite animated and once stole a base (as in pulled it out and took it) during an argument. I forget what team he is with right now though.
Old Fri Apr 07, 2006, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Lloyd McClendon (former Pirates manager) is another one you could use. He was always quite animated and once stole a base (as in pulled it out and took it) during an argument. I forget what team he is with right now though.
The McClendon incident was classic..he stole first base, took it with him and threw it into the dugout tunnel leading to the clubhouse, and then kicked it on his way into the clubhouse. LOL. That happened four or five years ago...when he was still managing the Pirates last year (he got fired in the off-season and is now assisting Jim Leland in Detroit), when he got introduced on the JumboTron at PNC Park before every game, one of the highlights always shown was that argument...as Mr. Tony would say, CLAAAAAAAAASIC

Last edited by tmp44; Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 01:05pm.
Old Fri Apr 07, 2006, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

From SI: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas.../fan_violence/
Date: Sept. 16, 1940
Setting: Ebbetts Field

Umpire George Magerkurth was famous for his pugnacity. In the minors, he was arrested once for fighting with a player under the stands. Another time, he and a player were suspended for spitting at each other after a disputed call. This time, though, he apparently was minding his own business when a Dodger fan leaped out of the stands, tackled him at home plate and began pummeling him. Although Brooklyn fans especially despised Magerkurth -- his run-ins with Leo Durocher were legendary -- there's evidence this particular incident was simply a diversion so the fan's pickpocket partner could work the stands.

Edit: A little internet research.

Last edited by GerryB; Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 01:22pm.
Old Fri Apr 07, 2006, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

How could you forget, coach against umpire:

Pete Rose and Dave Pallone, the finger pointing in the eye, bumping chest incident.

Pete Rose, HOF? He would have my vote.
Old Fri Apr 07, 2006, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:

Wasn't McClendon the one who "clubbed" the sausage during
the sausage race in Milwaukee ?
Old Fri Apr 07, 2006, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

1903 - Hall of Fame pitcher Rube Waddell climbed into the stands and beat up a heckler.

Another old-time player, Sherwood Magee, a contemporary Philadelphia Phillies outfielder, knocked out a drunk who had followed him to the clubhouse to continue a tirade.

1903 - Ed Barrow, who later as general manager of the Yankees put together the great dynasty featuring Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig, was managing the Detroit Tigers when he threw a bucket of water over jeering fans during an exhibition game in Nashville, Tennessee..

1912 - Ty Cobb leaped into the stands to beat up a heckler.

1999 - A fan in Milwaukee's County Stadium leaped out of the stands to tackle Houston Astros right fielder Bill Spiers. Luckily, Spiers was unhurt.
One year, first baseman Wally Joyner escaped serious injury when a spectator at Yankee Stadium flung a hunting knife at him after an Angels' victory. Joyner's arm was grazed.

1996 - A fan rushed at Cubs closer Randy Myers on the mound at Wrigley Field after he had given up a game-tying home run. Myers coolly decked him with one punch

1992 - Belle, then with the Cleveland Indians, threw a foul ball at a spectator after being heckled by fans from left field, hitting him in the chest

1986 - Cubs manager Don Baylor recalled as a player, that he climbed into the stands at Yankee Stadium to assist Boston Red Sox teammate Jim Rice, who was battling a loud-mouthed fan.
Old Fri Apr 07, 2006, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Reggie Smith with the dodgers...into the stands after a fan
Old Sat Apr 08, 2006, 01:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
1903 - Hall of Fame pitcher Rube Waddell climbed into the stands and beat up a heckler.

Another old-time player, Sherwood Magee, a contemporary Philadelphia Phillies outfielder, knocked out a drunk who had followed him to the clubhouse to continue a tirade.

1903 - Ed Barrow, who later as general manager of the Yankees put together the great dynasty featuring Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig, was managing the Detroit Tigers when he threw a bucket of water over jeering fans during an exhibition game in Nashville, Tennessee..

1912 - Ty Cobb leaped into the stands to beat up a heckler.

1999 - A fan in Milwaukee's County Stadium leaped out of the stands to tackle Houston Astros right fielder Bill Spiers. Luckily, Spiers was unhurt.
One year, first baseman Wally Joyner escaped serious injury when a spectator at Yankee Stadium flung a hunting knife at him after an Angels' victory. Joyner's arm was grazed.

1996 - A fan rushed at Cubs closer Randy Myers on the mound at Wrigley Field after he had given up a game-tying home run. Myers coolly decked him with one punch

1992 - Belle, then with the Cleveland Indians, threw a foul ball at a spectator after being heckled by fans from left field, hitting him in the chest

1986 - Cubs manager Don Baylor recalled as a player, that he climbed into the stands at Yankee Stadium to assist Boston Red Sox teammate Jim Rice, who was battling a loud-mouthed fan.
Kind of puts the Artest incident in perspective.

Peace